• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question on EK 525 chain installation on a F700GS

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Hello all, need some advice on a new chain install. It's been several years since my last chain drive MC and it seems the last chain install I needed to use my Motion Pro chain riveter to install the master link. I purchased from the dealer an EK chain that comes with two nuts that thread on the master link posts that seems to be used to seat the outside plate, and at some point when set, the posts get broken off and discarded. No mention of riveting or dimpling the links. Any direction would be appreciated as I would hate to damage the master link by trying to rivet the ends if not needed....

Thanks in advance......

FYI, I went to the web site for EK at www.ekchain.jp and found my answer. Apparently this is a new method (at least to me) for installing the chain without the need for a chain riveting tool. So, I'll learn something and see how well it works out. Looks like the nut mushrooms the end of the link as it is tightening up so no additional riveting is necessary.....

Not familiar with that so I went a lookin'.
It's a real interesting concept cuz in order to a "loop" on my F800GS, I would have to remove the swing-arm or spin a rivet in place- old school.
Maybe this will help-
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796042
Let us know how it works out.
OM

Thanks for the reply. I've got the new chain cut down and waiting now for a front sprocket to arrive. Mounted the new rear sprocket last night and starting to get anxious to get back on the road. Waiting for parts delivery since Thursday, so I'll be glad to get the garage cleaned back up.....I'll let you know how the link works out.....

Chain Installed

Here's some pic's of the screw-on chain link that came with my recent new EK Chain...
Here are what the tabs of the chain look like before putting on the nuts.
DSC01172.jpg

This pic is of the nuts fully tightened. Notice the closed in nut. Previous pictures showed an open ended nut, but I think they went to the closed end nut to error proof how tight you make the nuts so that you don't over tighten and kink the link.
DSC01173.jpg

Once fully tightened, back off about a quarter inch, and then snap off with a pliers.
DSC01176.jpg

So, bottom line, very easy to attach the master link and as mentioned on another forum, it is rated at 95% of strength of a full rivet process, so for my style of riding, very appropriate. I'm good to go another (hopefully) 20x miles if my OEM chain is any indication.

Very nice, thanks for taking the time to post and 'splain how the links work.
I'm working on an index for this forum and I will be sure to include this thread :thumb
OM

BTW, this looks so much easier than pulling the swing arm after a bench pein.

very nice new method

I definitely will look at this when the time comes.... sold all my chain and spoke tool in the 80's but need them again with F800GSA.

Could you please follow up on your experience with the EK chain?

Hello all, need some advice on a new chain install. It's been several years since my last chain drive MC and it seems the last chain install I needed to use my Motion Pro chain riveter to install the master link. I purchased from the dealer an EK chain that comes with two nuts that thread on the master link posts that seems to be used to seat the outside plate, and at some point when set, the posts get broken off and discarded. ....
Thanks in advance......

Could you please follow up on how the master link held up? Any issues?

We use these on our two F650GSs. Over 200,000 kms without an issue. I have a chain tool but these screw type master links are so easy and foolproof that I have abandoned riveting.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

We use these on our two F650GSs. Over 200,000 kms without an issue. I have a chain tool but these screw type master links are so easy and foolproof that I have abandoned riveting.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Good to hear :thumb
OM

These worked well on a VSTROm 1000 for me, my Aussie Mate rode it to accompany me to Dust to Dawson and Prudhoe Bay in 2019 no problems over the 10,000 mile trip. We carried a spare but didn't have to use it.

This is one of those almost invisible rare breaks through in mechanical technology that has been a long time coming. The stupid clip style master links were invented for industrial machinery in the late 19th or early 20th century. Using a tool to mash the ends of the link pins came next and was a welcome improvement in reliability. This latest design should sell a lot of that brand chain, or any other brand that licenses the patent.

Back