• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT throttle body sync

rongrosser

I have a twin max, and was wondering if you need a GS-911 to synchronize the throttle bodies on a 2007 R 1200RT? I think the GS-911 locks the idle actuators in a certain position during synchronizing, but doesn't the idle actuators stop working at around 1500 rpm?

I have a twin max, and was wondering if you need a GS-911 to synchronize the throttle bodies on a 2007 R 1200RT? I think the GS-911 locks the idle actuators in a certain position during synchronizing, but doesn't the idle actuators stop working at around 1500 rpm?

Ron - correct. GS911 is not necessary, but it's a great gizmo to have, if for no other reason than resetting the service reminder. And you should be balancing at a bit off idle (I do it at ~1800-2000, wherever I can get the bike to settle down) so you're not resting on the actuators.

BTW - I've found my TwinMax to be exquisitely sensitive to the internal battery. I always start with a new one now.

JayJay

Ron, I sync my 07 at around 3500-4000 rpm using a TwinMax. No GS-911 needed for that procedure.
I do like to adjust my valves and change my air filter before hand.
Your Idle is controlled by the computer is not adjustable.

Valve adj & TB sync

Thanks guys. I adjusted the valves and did the throttle body sync without the GS-911 and it came out pretty good. The bike I bought was dealer maintained up to the 24,000 mile service. I didn't quite get the bike as smooth as the dealer, but I came close. I did buy Jim's CD. A little more practice on adjusting the valves maybe. My 98 R1100R's valve adjustment seemed more complicated than the JVB method for the 07 RT. I'll just keep on ridin' and learnin'!

I just did the throttle sync on R1200R for the first time at 30K miles. It was only off by 1.5 at full sensitivity, but it made a noticeable improvement in vibration at freeway speed. I was surprised.

I just did the throttle sync on R1200R for the first time at 30K miles. It was only off by 1.5 at full sensitivity, but it made a noticeable improvement in vibration at freeway speed. I was surprised.

Sounds good if you can get it better then 1.5 on a TwinMax at full sensitivity. I assume you did a valve check beforehand? Chances are excellent you'll never need to touch the sync again.

Yes. I just did a valve adjustment and the final reading varied about 0.5 from side to side. I was surprised a the reduction in vibration.

Back