• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Light vs. Fuel Gauge

deanzat

This weekend I was out on some country roads testing settings on my new Techlusion unit and had a puzzling experience vis a vis fuel capacity. The manual says that when the fuel gauge drops to two bars, the low fuel light will come on. It didn't. In fact, even when the bars disappeared altogether, the light did not come on. I got to a gas station (with just 151 miles on the meter), and the bike took about 4 gallons (on the sidestand).

So, in your opinion, is the gauge faulty, or is the light not working? I'm accustomed to motorcycles with neither light nor gauge, but as long as they're there, I'd like to figure this out.

Thanks, DZ

I have an RRS, and my yellow light comes on when I reach one bar or so. It all depends on the float arm position and the condition of the connectors as to how accurate the fuel gauge is.

deanzat said:
I got to a gas station (with just 151 miles on the meter), and the bike took about 4 gallons (on the sidestand).

So, in your opinion, is the gauge faulty, or is the light not working? I'm accustomed to motorcycles with neither light nor gauge, but as long as they're there, I'd like to figure this out.

Thanks, DZ

You shouldn't have had the warning light come on yet with almost 2-gallons left in the tank, The LCD display will give erroneous info if you on and off the throttle and diving into corners so I'm not sure what you were up to while riding. I run a R259 and easily get better 220+ between fill-ups (4.8-5.2 of 5.7 max) I usually stop for gas at the 200-mile mark. My light does not come on until I'm over 200 and usually not until one-LCD-bar is showing. Sometimes if there are two-bars the fuel light will come on while accelerating and then go off if I jab the front brake and continue riding. Also gas can get trapped on the left side of the split and needs to be jostled to the other side.

Electronics are great but I know how far I can go safely, always reset the trip meter and have faith.

HTH, Russ

(EDIT: IMO your gauge and light are probably working fine, I think that was your question.)

Last edited:
lorazepam said:
ever forget to turn off reserve?

That was a long time ago if I remember, my '85 had a reserve 'Petcock' two steel tubes entering the tank one longer (Standard) one flush (Reserve). Run down the road until she's dry reach down and flip the switch, realize it was on reserve since the last time and have a "Moses Moment" right there, where ever there is. :doh Do they still use those things? I haven't even seen a 'Petcock' on a street bike lately. My dirt bike still has one, but it only ON-OFF... :dance

To answer your question; YES :nyah

You're getting 42 mpg with an R259? I was getting 40ish before the installation, but on the day in question I got 151 miles on 4.1 gallons of gas, or just under 37mpg.

Granted, I think I need to do multiple readings on different days and determine an average, I was doing twisty stuff at high revs that day.

Forgive me if we've covered this before, but what settings are you using on the Techlusion? I've got a Remus exhaust system, and I've been experimenting with different settings, but it seems like my bike needs a lot more gas to run smoothly. (Cruise = 9, Red = 4.5, green= 3.5, yellow = 3.5).

Thanks, DZ

PS/Edit: Oh yes, I have also left the reserve on. I coasted into Kayenta, AZ with a helmet full of prayers! DZ

I guess that is for me,

Yes, 40-42 commuting 45-miles [25-Interstate 70-75 and 20-rural 45-60]

I'll check the shop settings tomorrow, just had a service and asked them to tune-up everything. $$$

I was set at this recommended setting before that: G 0.3 Y 0.4 R 0.4 Cruise 1.2 (I got that off the ADVrider site)

Your setting look awfully high.

I get less if racing the road too but have still managed to go at least 175 on the odometer and didn't fill-up empty. :dunno

Hey looked up this off the techlusion FAQ. A guy with your simular bike (Remus can and y-pipe)

Cruise 3.6 G 0.6 Y 1.0 R 1.0

HTH

My numbers are based on the clock positions of the pots. They're pretty close to the base settings. When the dealer installed it, they set the cruise pot at 9 and the others at zero, and it was still surging (although at a different rpm) and it was vibrating worse than before when I got past 4k.

Reset at the Techlusion suggested settings, the surge is gone and the vibration, while still unpleasant, is actually much better. Once I do the OVAD and throttle synching I'll probably be able to tone it down a little bit.

And with all this, I must point out that I'm having a blast riding again.

Thanks DZ

My understanding is that the pots are very forgiving in accuracy. Use a Digital Volt Meter and check the power-spots (little square metal solder-plate next to each pot dial) against a good Negative Ground.

Good luck Dean, I'll try and remember to check where mine are tomorrow.

EDIT: Dean Cruise pot at 9:30 - 11:00 deactivates the whole thing, no matter what the other settings are. It's the default setting for BMW Techs to set the vacume and adjust TBs

Last edited:
deanzat said:
Reset at the Techlusion suggested settings, the surge is gone and the vibration, while still unpleasant, is actually much better. Once I do the OVAD and throttle synching I'll probably be able to tone it down a little bit.

Dean, you really, really need to get this done. Right now you are just covering up a bad running motor by adding fuel.

My bike is running like raped ape and smooth as babies butt after the Saturday 36K service. I don't know what my R259 is set to right now because I asked them to check it and adjust as necessary. Heck it could be set at 9:00 (Bypass) and I might leave it there for a while.

I will let you know.

Get your bike tuned up...

I should have said "9ish," because I backed the cruise pot until the green light came on, per the instructions. I know it's working because the motorcycle runs much better now.

But I agree that it needs a PROPER tune up. I've found another local mechanic (other than the dealer where I bought the bike, who says it runs great; I beg to differ) who will get a chance (and some money) to tune it right. If that doesn't work, I'll grab the OVAD manual, send the family somewhere, and take a Saturday (and a six pack) to learn how to do this myself!

Still, riding a bike that vibrates too much is way better than not riding at all! DZ

My LCD gauge is rather sporadic in reliability. I'm told that the float temds to hang up alot and often gives a false high reading. Last week I still had 6 bars with 170 miles on the clock. At any rate, I always clear the trip meter when I fill up, and always get gas at 200 miles. There is really only 5.7 or so usable in the GS tank (found that out the hard way).

I have the Remus titanium w/ Y pipe. I do not run a techlusion, but rather opted for the ECU chip at the advise of Remus. On the way back from the Fingerlakes Rally I averaged 46.0 and the bike continues to run well.

Original Fuel light vs. gauge.

DZ,

My 04 RT is bone stock and I always get the light at 1 bar on the gauge. Not immediatly though. Usually after 10 mi. into the last bar.

I'm getting 39 -42mpg during commute (25mi) running 4500-5000rpm. Dang rings still haven't seated @ 14k on the odometer.

Dave :groovy

Update

Dean, I said I'd look. The shop set mine to the standard setting VDC. The clock method settings are a little off (like Red is at 3:15) not the ones I got from an ADVrider here in Washington ST.

Actual check: Cruise 3.57 Red 0.98 Green 0.6 Yellow 0.99

Like I said, it's running great so short of paying for the Dyno Tune I'm leaving things alone.

EDIT: Oh I was wrong when I said 9:00 was bypass, it's 9:30 to 11:00

Last edited:
Back to the original post, my RID always reads about 2 bars low. When full, the top two bars do not come on. When the last bar goes off, I can put about 4.5 US Gal into the tank. The low fuel light has only come on once, maybe 30 to 40 miles after the last RID bar went out.

Box-stock, I get about 44 MPG around town and 48 to 50 in the interstate.

breyfogle said:
Back to the original post, my RID always reads about 2 bars low. When full, the top two bars do not come on. When the last bar goes off, I can put about 4.5 US Gal into the tank. The low fuel light has only come on once, maybe 30 to 40 miles after the last RID bar went out.

Box-stock, I get about 44 MPG around town and 48 to 50 in the interstate.

I get the same mileage you do with my '04 RRS. surge free too.

Back