• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Steering Head Bearings - R100 GS

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I tried the Search feature, but as usual came up with everything but the subject line.

After 25 years, I decided to replace the steering head bearings on my 1990 R100 GS.

I'm right down to the frame with the outer races of the taper bearings still installed.

Normally removal would be easy, but BMW in their infinite wisdom designed it in such a way that there is no lip or any part of the bearing race to use a punch against. And you can't even use a blind bearing puller...because there is no lip. :banghead

So how are these removed.

Any ideas appreciated.

Alex -

Yeah, the search function bites on vBulletin. I wrote up a few approaches in the following link; usually what works best is to try the google function in the top menu bar:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?77843-Tips-on-Searching-the-MOA-Forum

I did that and came up with the following; I don't think GS bearings are any different than any other Airhead steering stem bearings:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?34277-Steering-Head-Bearings

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?55986-Steering-head-bearings-1971-R75-5

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?50122-Bearing-Race-Removal-Head-Steady

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?43080-R75-headstock-bearings

HTH...

Thanks Kurt,

I found a thread recommending the Kukko 21-6 blind hole bearing remover (I have a set, but not with one that large ~42 mm).

I even have a TIG welder that I would normally weld a washer to the outer race and then knock it out from the other side, but the TIG welder outlet is in the basement and the motorcycle is in the garage. :banghead

but the TIG welder outlet is in the basement and the motorcycle is in the garage. :banghead

Don't they make extension cords for these? :stick

Cycleworks can probably help out...not a quick fix, but I suspect that would have what you need.

Don't they make extension cords for these? :stick

Maybe one day. But have you priced a 50-foot extension with a 240V 50A plug/receptacle at each end. This ain't no toy.

Cycleworks can probably help out...not a quick fix, but I suspect that would have what you need.

Just ordered.

I have lots of time to clean everything up for a smooth and quick reassembly when the tool arrives. :)

We found it easier to make a long cord and install it on the welder. Still not cheap, though.

When my garage gets fully finished (air, heat and interior paint), I'll stick a panel with numerous different outlets on the wall. The 200A main electrical panel in the basement is directly behind and below the garage. A couple of short runs of cable needed then. In the mean time...

When my garage gets fully finished (air, heat and interior paint), I'll stick a panel with numerous different outlets on the wall. The 200A main electrical panel in the basement is directly behind and below the garage. A couple of short runs of cable needed then. In the mean time...

You in Canada? I have the expanding knife edge puller from cycleworks if you would like to borrow it. I am located in Peterborough and could ship it out.

I just did the RS, used this for the races... I think it has at least two more pulls in it. For the stem bearing I GRIND it down to a "thin wall" with a cut off wheel and then a little knock splits it so it just slides off.

BTW... you will need a new bearing shield for under the stem bearing, impossible not to destroy it. it's $6 cdn 31 42 1 234 509

I have the expanding knife edge puller from cycleworks if you would like to borrow it.

Thanks, but I just ordered up their kit.

For the stem bearing I GRIND it down to a "thin wall" with a cut off wheel and then a little knock splits it so it just slides off.

Same method that I use. I just popped a few inner races off my friend's Porsche that way using a Dremel.

BTW... you will need a new bearing shield for under the stem bearing, impossible not to destroy it.

Got them in advance when I bought the bearings.

Thanks!

I received the Steering Head Bearing Puller Set from Cycle Works today and I have to say it worked extremely well. Not bad for $85.

I used the tool to remove the outer races in the steering head and to remove the lower steering head bearing off the triple tree.

I have a hydraulic press which I used along with the tube from the kit to press the lower steering head bearing onto the triple tree.

The outer steering head races were tapped in almost all the way with a nylon faced hammer. The kit was used to get them in that last bit.

I don't see the point to the upper bearing being a press fit. A slip fit would have been fine.

The only downside; you need a 3/8 inch hex bit socket (10 mm would not fit). All I have are metric tools, but a 9 mm hex bit worked well enough for the amount of torque that needed to be applied.

Back