• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing HIDs on 2014 R1200GSLC

drswift

Here’s the process I used to install a VVME HID kit for both high and low beams on my 2014 R1200GSW. Bought it on Ebay for $29 (thanks, Jim VonBaden).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331526409924?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=540689763268&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Since I was planning to install a number of electronic farkles, I stripped down the bike. To facilitate photos, I pulled the entire headlight unit, which is very easy (2 screws, 2 clips, and a wiring harness plug. After removing the stock lights, I put in the HIDs, which fit just fine, although the clips are a little harder to set (a good reason to do this on a bench if you have the time.) Then I plugged the HID leads into the OEM connector that came off the back of the bulbs. Now you have two sets of wires coming out of the light housing.

IMG_0012.JPG

I then drilled a 5/16” hole in the side of each cover, and opened it up with a fit tooth saw to create a channel for the wires.

IMG_0014.JPG

Slip the rubber ring over the wires, then install the locking cap.

IMG_0015.JPG

So, now you have all the wires coming out of the cap. (I probably could have used a smaller drill bit for a tighter fit.)

IMG_0016.JPG

Then I used silicone around the wires to seal up the hole. Let it dry overnight to create a good seal.

IMG_0022.JPG

Here’s the light unit with all the HID ballast components attached.

IMG_0020.JPG

I re-installed the headlight unit with HIDs and then played around with options for where to install the ballasts. I ended up going with a spot inside the frame under the instrument panel. Left side tucks in against the frame just fine. The right side ended up sitting on top of the horn against the frame. Here’s the right side unit outside the frame in the approximate position I would put it, only inside the frame. (I thinner unit may fit outside the frame under the beak fairing, but I could get mine to work that way.)

IMG_0025.JPG

Here’s a view of the right side unit from inside the frame.

IMG_0028.JPG

Three zip ties on each side and you’ve got it done.
I didn’t do a before and after of the light brightness, but they look great when you fire them up. This is one of the easiest add-on you can do. Enjoy!

Back