• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'14 R1200GS Hand Numbing Vibration Throttle

dm930

I've had this on several bikes over the years. Ride for a while you get that subtle vibration that causes numbing in your hands, (mostly throttle hand).
While I used to buy heavier weighed bar ends on other bikes, the GS had the brush guards attached to the end of the bars and I'm not sure who may make them then to work with it.
Are there other options even?

A few things to help. A crampbuster / wrist rest allows you to loosen your grip and is a relatively low cost fix.
Foam or neoprene grip covers help some. Padded gel gloves also in mix. A throttle lock like a Kaoko will work on a bike with handguards and allow you to lessen your need to grip as tight as well

there is a item called a snake,but will not fit inside bars with end weight threaded plugs.

On long days, I have to remind myself to ease up on the deathgrip. Someone posted a worn grip on a fairly new bike with nominal mileage and I had to wonder how darn tight that hand had to be to do that:scratch

Found a RT thread...the bar weights might work on a GS

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-Weighted-Bar-Ends&highlight=handlebar+weight

Last edited:
I've had this on several bikes over the years. Ride for a while you get that subtle vibration that causes numbing in your hands, (mostly throttle hand).
While I used to buy heavier weighed bar ends on other bikes, the GS had the brush guards attached to the end of the bars and I'm not sure who may make them then to work with it.

Cruise control

I know how the OP feels

I'm on a '15 1200RT and I've hesitated about posting my own situation on this topic because I knew most everyone would say "loosen your grip" or "relax and enjoy the ride" or something to that extent. While I do agree w/ that theory, my situation is different as I have had a problem with my throttle hand numbing and "falling asleep' since I started riding motorcycles and have unfortunately experienced it on every bike I've ridden. Specifically it starts with my thumb and moves through my hand into my pointer finger. This happens most frequently at higher RPM's when the bike becomes more buzzy....especially above 5,000 rpm's. When in town or riding through the countryside where I can't use cruise control I am constantly having to take my hand off the throttle and drop my arm straight down to get blood back into my hand and alleviate the pain. For highway riding cruise control is the only saving grace for me...without it I don't think I could ride :cry

Lately I have focused on my grip pressure and seating position, but nothing seems to help. At this point I have given in to the fact that I just have poor circulation in my hands and the slight bar buzz exacerbates the problem :banghead
I am going to try the foam or neoprene grip covers as henzilla recommended to see if that helps. Hopefully they won't affect the heated grips.

On certain bikes it seems more pronounced to me. Maybe wrist angle also affects it.

My RT was better after I installed risers, my GSA better when I flipped the stock risers 180 putting the bars forward.
The covers do work with the heated grips, the neoprene heat transfer quicker

As Harry points out...possible circulation issues. Aleve before a ride helps me. Repetive hammer use as well as impact tools for years did not help my grip issues.

This issue is purely related to vibration of handlebars. It's obvious. Grabbing the bars more lightly relieves it a bit. Bar end weights would be great, but can't find any.

I wonder if the position of the shoulders might also be an issue. Try twisting the bars up a bit and see if that helps for the shoulder positioning, and even the wrist position. I had to put risers on my bars. Then I started to notice my knees would ache after prolonged rides. I installed lowering pegs and it made a huge difference in that.

The bottom line is that you should adjust the ergonomics to your bike first. If that isn't done, all kinds of pains will crop up.

Do you think your bike has more vibration than it should? Since you've got dual O2 sensors you won't have a fuel imbalance at cruise. But if there is an air imbalance, there will be a power imbalance which would cause vibration.

Back