• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Georgia Lane Splitting

daveyaffe

New to GA, I've been told we can't split lanes here. Does anyone do it and if so, how to the police feel about it?

Last edited:
New to GA, I've been told we can't split lanes here. Does anyone do it and if so, how to the police feel about it?

Do not try it. How the police feel about it will be the least of your problems. The way the Atlanta rush hour commuters feel about it would be the problem.

Yeah, Georgia traffic is tough....Reports suggest skip it all together :eek
As you get more used to it, while you are parked on 85/75, you might see the "badges" or "notches" of what the vehicle next to you has run over :D

It might be better in this-

mad-max-interceptor-you-yangs.jpg

until you get used to the "flow".

Good luck.
OM

How funny! Kinda scary.

Yeah, Georgia traffic is tough....Reports suggest skip it all together :eek
As you get more used to it, while you are parked on 85/75, you might see the "badges" or "notches" of what the vehicle next to you has run over :D

It might be better in this-

mad-max-interceptor-you-yangs.jpg

until you get used to the "flow".

Good luck.
OM

Well, I just lane split thru' all of Las Vegas yesterday, as they had two suv clunked sideways in the fast lanes.
No big deal. Sure there were a few, but, for one thing a high percent of the plates were CA plates and they expect that. So no big deal.
Now, what goes on in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas, I was just passing thru' town anyway for Utah.
dc

The lane splitting part is going fine, I just don't do it. Big part of the reason is because they have, literally, the WORST drivers I've ever seen here in Atlanta, and I've been throughout much of this country. They're dumb and dangerous. Best just to stay as far away as possible, I've reached the conclusion.

So...howz that Atlanta traffic working for you?:d

The lane splitting part is going fine, I just don't do it. Big part of the reason is because they have, literally, the WORST drivers I've ever seen here in Atlanta, and I've been throughout much of this country. They're dumb and dangerous. Best just to stay as far away as possible, I've reached the conclusion.
Have you been there when there has been snow? :eek
OM

Yep, that's a good decision. I will not ride on I-285 during peak traffic hours, which in Atlanta is about 20 out of 24 hours a day Monday-Friday. It takes a brave man or a very foolish one to negotiate Atlanta traffic on two wheels during peak rush hours.

you really want to become a vegetable on your beemer?

Lane splitting anywhere is so dangerous. Now don't get me wrong I do live with some danger but splitting lanes just is not worth the extra couple of minutes you might save unless you get crunched between two cars or trucks. I will not even pass a car that has it's left signal on and waiting to go left. One time I was following a young girl in an Audi near where I live. She put on her left signal and pulled left to the center of the road and stopped. I began to move right and got set to pass her. Then without warning she went to the right. Luckily I was about 5 feet behind her and I swerved left. My front tire hit her left rear bumper and almost took me down. I was so pissed off and relieved that I did not crash that I kept going so I would not do something stupid. We need all of us riders to survive DON'T LANE SPLIT ANYWHERE REGUARDLESS OF WHAT THE LAW SAYS!!!!!

One time I was following a young girl in an Audi near where I live. She put on her left signal and pulled left to the center of the road and stopped. I began to move right and got set to pass her. Then without warning she went to the right.

Same thing happened to me: young woman moved left, signaled a left turn, then turned right! Lucky for me I held back and avoided a collision.

And just today I slowed and signaled a right turn into my driveway: idiot behind me (in my mirror) wanted in the worst way to pass me on the right! I moved right to block that and turned right into my driveway.

Never underestimate the number of idiots out there, and never drive aggressively.

Harry

Summary of traffic study

I am attaching a link which leads to an article summarizing the conclusions of a study regarding the safety of lane splitting.

Personally, I lived in Southern California for 13years, where I did massive amounts of lane splitting. Never had an issue.

Drivers trying to pass me on the shoulder at high speeds - a problem
Drivers driving against traffic - a problem
Stuff falling off the back of trucks - a problem
Lane splitting - no problem

Just my $0.02 worth. YMMV

Back