• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Georgia Lane Splitting

I stand corrected!!

which is better odds than dying sitting in traffic coming into WA from OR on the I-5. In the latter, you just sit in traffic inhaling fumes until you fall off your bike--hopefully, someone will have oxygen in their car along with the impetus to revive you and not just drive around your body.

Now that's funny!!

The Peach Pass lane is a HOT lane. It is free for motorcycles but you still need your motorcycle to be registered. The pass is free. If not registered you might be sent a toll bill.

The HOT lanes on I-85 are free for motorcycles, AF vehicles, 2 or more people (no-toll mode,) however, the new HOT lanes on I-75, both on the north side and south side are not free. Only buses and law enforcement vehicles are not charged. The I-75 toll lanes were built without using existing lanes of travel; the ones on I-85 were. Hence, the free usage.

All HOT lanes require registration for use. My older Peach Pass on my R1200C is not associated with any financial account due to I-85 had the only HOT lanes when I got it. Fast forward a few years and I want one for the new RT. I was asked which HOT lanes will I be using, I said both (mainly 85,) but was told it was not free on 75. I ended up puting a charge on the CC for the pass as I will occasionally use the one on I-75 on the south side. I live in NE Atanta (off I-85) and frequent those HOT lanes more than the one on 75.

On the lane splitting note, I would love to be able to do so, but Atlanta area drivers are not ready for that; never will be. I do what I can to split, but it is mainly called moving in and out of slower traffic. Some folk may consider it "cutting them off," but I beg to differ. It is like I am the only one who wants to get to speed. Most times on the road I travel to work, slower traffic will not keep right. They actually accelerate slowly then end up matching their speeds with others in the adjacent lane and no room to pass. Or so they think. I have seen sport bikes split lanes on I-285 in bumbper to bumepr traffic. I always think "must be nice," but doubt i will ever do it on the RT. It just does not seem like enough room for me to do it.

In the mountain roads TN, VA, & NC area, I found that people are courteous and will move over to allow motorcycles to pass in the twisties, even if I am far enough back from them. Georgia? Not so much. I called GA home since '78, so I got tht going for me, which is nice.

I would suggest lane splitting works in California due to a different culture of more open minded citizens who understand the dynamics of traffic management. Completely different culture in George or for goodness sake, Missouri where I live. The amount of jealousy of someone getting a better break than someone else is always at a high level when negotiating a path on the road and to interrupt that jealousy with lane passing is tantamount to asking Daryl from the walking dead to string up his bow and put you down as the snarling walking dead that you are. YEMD😀

On the lane splitting note, I would love to be able to do so, but Atlanta area drivers are not ready for that; never will be.

Lived in Atlanta for 36 years and you could not pay me to ride in that traffic.

Living in WNC now, where drivers are polite and will (on occasion) use turnouts.

I would suggest lane splitting works in California due to a different culture of more open minded citizens who understand the dynamics of traffic management. Completely different culture in George or for goodness sake, Missouri where I live. The amount of jealousy of someone getting a better break than someone else is always at a high level when negotiating a path on the road and to interrupt that jealousy with lane passing is tantamount to asking Daryl from the walking dead to string up his bow and put you down as the snarling walking dead that you are. YEMD😀

Drivers in California have become used to lane sharing. But not so other places. Just the other day I saw a video taken of a road rage incident where in order to merge left a lady was waving a baseball bat out her side window threatening the car she was merging ahead of. This resulted in a 3-way brawl on the pavement in stalled traffic. I'd call this hillbilly behavior except I wouldn't want to insult hillbillies. More like cave woman behavior and there was actually some resemblance.

There was a legislative effort to institute lane splitting in Montana a few years ago (Yes, I know, why in Montana?). The bill got far more traction than one would expect, but thankfully failed. Simply not needed here and the learning curve would be quite steep; a great deal of pain for not much gain.

And, please lighten up on the cavemen/women insults. Some of my best friends are cavemen.

When lane splitting laws are passed they need to be accompanied by lots of PSA's, stories in the newspapers, TV and radio news, etc., that the law has been passed, and the requirements both for bikes and for cars. The state patrol, will also need lots of PSAs explaining that there are severe penalties for interfering with a bike that's splitting.

There will still be those who do stupid things, it's the human condition. But after a few of those folks are held to answer, convicted, and sentenced things will calm down to a large extent.

Speaking of Montana. I was stuck for several hours on a highway there, due to a big rig accident that blocked the road and the shoulders for cars. I could have ridden to the front of the line and then through the wreck if it was legal and I'd been on a bike. It's a mistake to think that just because there's a sparse and scattered population, that lane splitting would not be useful at times. If nothing else, it allows riders to go the front of traffic that's stopped for a light. Doing so avoids rear end collisions that do not end well for bikers.

Paul & I were stuck on I 64 near Lexington, KY a few days ago...don't know why, only know that the KY Highway Patrol had it blocked. Many were riding down the shoulder to the next exit, but we didn't know for sure where we would end up or get in a worse situation, so we sat there in 98 degree heat like two goobers from Miss.. A local man pulled up beside me and said "If you will fall in behind me, I'll get you two out of this". He took the first exit, we followed and were back on our way in about 10 minutes. THERE ARE STILL NICE PEOPLE! What a sweetheart, and we would have bought his dinner if we had the chance. He turned off, waved us to go straight and we never saw him again. A much better outcome than using baseball bats :).

A few days ago you sat in 98 degree heat; we hurried home to beat snow and 18 degree temperatures. No baseball bats in either case. Bats are evidently an urban affectation. Sunny and 60 here today.

Filtering is now legal in Utah as of May 14th this year. The guidelines spelled out in the statute are as follow:

1. Only allowed on roads posted at 45mph or less
2. Having two or more lanes of traffic in the same direction
3. Adjacent traffic must be stopped
4. And motorcycle traveling 15mph or less
5. And the action must be undertaken safely

More details are here.

I’ve done it several times to get through rush hour traffic parked at stoplights, with no issues. So far, filtering has been a non-issue here and the only injury accident I’ve seen reported thus far was a motorcyclist who filtered to the front of a line of stopped traffic at a light, only to have the light turn green and traffic begin moving. And, the motorcyclist was a motor officer—details here.

DPS did a lot of public service announcements prior to the new law taking effect. So far, I’ve not seen any adverse reactions from motorists. I am careful, tho, to make sure that my filtering decisions are made early enough that I know traffic will still be stopped when I reach the light or get in line behind another filtering motorcyclist, and I don’t filter at funky non-right-angle intersections. That cuts out the new “SPUI” (Single Point Urban Interchange) ramps on I-15, but I’m ok with that.

So the sky isn’t falling, cats and dogs haven’t started living together, and motorcycle life goes on in Utah. That won’t stop the naysayers, most of whom have probably never tried filtering or splitting, but it would be nice if folks would give things a try before condemning change.

Best,
DeVern

We just rode thru the SLC I-15 corridor, twice! The HOV lane made the experience bearable, barely. By your description of the law, filtering on the interstates is not permitted... good call.

We just rode thru the SLC I-15 corridor, twice! The HOV lane made the experience bearable, barely. By your description of the law, filtering on the interstates is not permitted... good call.

I-15 through SLC is scary, indeed. Jumping off on I-215 W and taking the Legacy Parkway cuts out a lot of it, and the HOV lanes help with the rest, but it’s still an overcrowded mess. My preferred bypass for traveling SE of SLC is I-84/I-80 around the “Wasatch Back” to Wanship or Jordanelle reservoir, then Hwy 35 to Duchesne and 191 through Indian Canyon to Helper and Price. Try that on your next trip through, it’s a much more enjoyable ride! :)

Best,
DeVern

Our plan when heading south was to go west of the Tetons, cut through Teton Pass to Jackson and then south to Flaming Gorge. Snow in the passes caused us to use I-15 and it also gave us more time to ride in Colorado and UT. We had a similar route planned for coming home, but had to scurry back as quickly as possible to beat a winter storm that rolled thru Montana. I'll consider your options in the future.

Last edited:
I am sure about two things...you don't want to try lane splitting or approaching another driver with a baseball bat ANYWHERE in Mississippi! You will surely die :).

There was a legislative effort to institute lane splitting in Montana a few years ago

And it passed this month! Cali, then Utah, then Montana, Colorado next please!
Yes, I filter. No not like a crazed squid, more like a Brit.

--
Alan in Denver - 2016 RT, 2016 Multistrada.
It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards would, through sheer chance, replicate the works of Shakespeare.
Thanks to internet message boards, we now know this is not the case.

Back