• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Georgia Lane Splitting

Washington has had some bills introduced to make lane splitting legal. So far, none have passed. Some riders are starting to lane split anyway. They are either braver or more stupid than me. Not sure which. :)

I wish it was legal and an established practice like it is in California. It would be so nice. But I think I'll wait a couple years for it to be widely known...if the bill ever passes. Even after it is legal, there will still be times when someone won't know it is legal and will cut you off.

Chris

Gee, Matt, why don't you head out to California and give it a try before condemning it for everyone? California drivers and riders make it work very well.

Well, Matt has not posted here in two years.

I think he's still stuck in traffic.

:burnout

New to GA, I've been told we can't split lanes here. Does anyone do it and if so, how to the police feel about it?

Had it happen to me in GA by a guy on a Harley (go figure). Scared the crap out of me because when I realized he was there, he was only inches from by left handlebar grip :eek. However, I gave him a mean look so I'm sure he is still reeling from that :laugh.

Not part of the culture like in SoCal. Others will take offense and possibly endanger you.

It will take a while to become "part of the culture like in SoCal." But it will happen. Riding a motorcycle already "endanger" us, there's no "possibly" about it. Lane sharing makes us a bit safer, when done properly.

Here's something I wrote in a previous discussion on the topic of lane sharing.

The most recent study that I've seen comes from the Safe Transportation Research & Education Center, University of California, Berkeley, and was done in 2015. They studied almost 6,000 motorcycle accidents. About 1,000 of them were LSM (lane splitting motorcyclists). Here's a comment from the Abstract.

Lane-splitting appears to be a relatively safe motorcycle riding strategy if done in traffic moving at 50 MPH or less and if motorcyclists do not exceed the speed of other vehicles by more than 15 MPH. A significant number of motorcyclists lane-split in fast-moving traffic or at excessive speed differentials. These riders could lower their risk of injury by restricting the environments in which they lane-split and by reducing their speed differential when they do choose to lanesplit. [Emphasis is mine]
http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publications/Motorcycle-Lane-Splitting-and-Safety-2015.pdf

For those opposed to lane sharing, I suggest a read of the study. It might open a few eyes. It's fairly short, the "Results" section takes only 4 pages.

For those who don't like reading such things, highlights of the study were published in several of the popular motorcycle magazines. Here's a link to one of them. http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey

I commute daily, roughly 30 miles each way, in NorCal and regularly lane share as the traffic is often moving well under 30 MPH -- been doing so for years. During my commute, many drivers are cognizant of lane sharing and will even make extra room for you to get by -- especially for the bigger bikes. Of course, you have a few jealous, out of state drivers, or those that are too busy texting that won't.

Here in rural west Texas we don't exactly have lane sharing/splitting. But we do have "drive friendly" as explained on the DOT maps. Pull right to expedite passes of quicker vehicles. So onto the shoulder they go to permit passing. In the Urban areas of Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin I don't know what happens - I simply avoid the places - but suspect a modicum of manners even in urban areas. Texans are encouraged to respond.

p.s. My frame of reference is rural Brewster County by the National Park.

... During my commute, many drivers are cognizant of lane sharing and will even make extra room for you to get by -- especially for the bigger bikes.

If possible, I wave "thanks" at those folks as I pass. On many rides, my shoulder gets tired from all the waving.

Here in rural west Texas we don't exactly have lane sharing/splitting. But we do have "drive friendly" as explained on the DOT maps. Pull right to expedite passes of quicker vehicles. So onto the shoulder they go to permit passing. In the Urban areas of Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin I don't know what happens - I simply avoid the places - but suspect a modicum of manners even in urban areas. Texans are encouraged to respond.

Been to CA a few times and only filtered as my GSA seemed a bit to wide to play. On another bike, I followed the locals, even the CHPys.

Learned to ride in traffic in Houston, re-introduced in Austin and sometimes find myself in San Antonio and A-town regularly.
Commuted 80 roundtrip miles daily into Austin for a few years until retirement. I rarely put myself in the position to be on a lane splitting interstate if legal when secondary roads took me the same location quicker.
I do recall some younger days on a Honda 350 coming home from Galveston on IH-45 and later on a Superglide riding between stopped cars and trucks and not going well. Swerving cars and opening doors were the norm.A Colt revolver one trip made me not be the lead dog at age 17.:whistle

Fast forward to current practices and experiences have had folks wave me by, wave me in, and if paying attention to their driving rarely a bad day in most metro encounters. Eye contact and a wave back makes things work for me. San Antonio is just insane inside the "loop" and anywhere on IH-35 for the timid. I avoid it unless I have no other choice...which is rare

Lane splitting or filtering has been tabled here in Virginia many times, led by a group of riders here in Richmond. It always gets shot down and never makes it to a vote which is a shame tha the public isn't given the opportunity to see the benefits. In areas like Northern Virginia, a place as hot as the hell that is Atlanta rush hour traffic on a Friday (I know, I grew up around Atlanta and lived it), filtering would be hugely beneficial. Alas, like other states, Virginia is more concerned with amassing monies from traffic "enforcement" and less concerned with actual safety and common sense.

I split lanes every day. I would not work where I do unless I could. Hwy 1 in santa cruz is a parking lot southbound every day. I save 20 minutes and it takes me 35 mins door to door on the way home and its a great thing to focus on the task and ride the bike while everyone else sits in a metal box in a line. I spend most my time below 30 mph and the ratio is 25% actively make room if they see you. 10% just stay left or right in their lane by habit. 50% are in the middle of their lane paying as little attention to anything as they can get away with. 10% if they see you coming and they are moving will do the half hearted slow drift to pinch you off. Luckliy 90% of the people next to these folks move over to compensate. 2% if the see you will more obviously close the lane but you can just go around them legally in the space they make in the other side of their lane. Less than 1% truly eff with you. I slow and readjust mirrors or kick the ocassional door but its rare and pointless. I wave or toot and wave at EVERYONE who does even the slightest move to make more room. In general people really woukd rather be seen as helping and being nice. I now wave at more people every week because most want to be in that club and due to my cummute schedule I pass the same people all the time. A hells angel neighbor of mine passes me while im splitting slowly about once every few weeks. He waits patiently until I have a spot to make room and then roars past with a wave like hes in a different universe. Today I followed a chp bike while he split much like me. Below 30 or above with very little speed differential and then like a car at 45 mph or less depending but never more then 40 or 45. Not worth it. At 30 you can stop the bike in a very short distance and if you hit something you are very unlikely to die. 50 and above and the physics are very very different.

I worked in atlanta for two years. Worst drivers anywhere I have been in the usa. The mixture of old, dumb, angry, and anti flow people all trying to block the fast lanes while adept fast drivers try to establish a flow has to be seen to be believed. Its like playing cuttthroat pool on a freeway.

OP suggestion for Atlanta

HOV lanes on I85 are your friend. Motorcycles are allowed, and though the signage doesn’t indicate it, peach pass lane (also HOV) is good for motorcycles... I’ve used this several times, effectively.

Every where I ride, I have to adapt to the “culture” of riding in the demographic I find myself in. In Iowa during the rally, I noticed that cars just pulled out in front of you and “expected” you to slow down to accommodate them. Once I figured this out, in the first day, I learned to accommodate it and expect it.

HOV lanes on I85 are your friend. Motorcycles are allowed, and though the signage doesn’t indicate it, peach pass lane (also HOV) is good for motorcycles... I’ve used this several times, effectively.

Every where I ride, I have to adapt to the “culture” of riding in the demographic I find myself in. In Iowa during the rally, I noticed that cars just pulled out in front of you and “expected” you to slow down to accommodate them. Once I figured this out, in the first day, I learned to accommodate it and expect it.

The Peach Pass lane is a HOT lane. It is free for motorcycles but you still need your motorcycle to be registered. The pass is free. If not registered you might be sent a toll bill.

I have seen no lane splitting in Houston. But I mostly avoid the area during rush hour. I’m thinking the drivers would be caught off guard and no telling what they’d do. We have many left lane hoggers who think they own the left lane and it’s their right to drive at any speed they choose. My guess is those same folks would not take kindly to a motorcycle sharing their lane and may just pose a potential problem. If it’s ever legal here it will take some adjustment period before it’s safe enough to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The lane splitting part is going fine, I just don't do it. Big part of the reason is because they have, literally, the WORST drivers I've ever seen here in Atlanta, and I've been throughout much of this country. They're dumb and dangerous. Best just to stay as far away as possible, I've reached the conclusion.

You are just saying that cause you never been to Hawaii.

You are just saying that cause you never been to Hawaii.

I’ve ridden in Hawaii, Atlanta is worse. At least in Hawaii, any traffic jams you could at least put her in neutral, flip up your visor, look to the Koalau mountains, and find your happy place. There is no such happy place on I85 in Atlanta.

I’ve ridden in Hawaii, Atlanta is worse. At least in Hawaii, any traffic jams you could at least put her in neutral, flip up your visor, look to the Koalau mountains, and find your happy place. There is no such happy place on I85 in Atlanta.

I stand corrected!!

Once I got caught in the traffic on the Round-About in Baltimore on the way to Jessup (Bob's).

...on top of that, I had to pee...there isn't even a bush you hide behind and take a leak.

I swore I would never travel through there ever again; Lo and behold, the following year I got lost looking for lodging place and ended up in that dreadful traffic again. I was so mad at myself...for being so dumb!!!

But really, the matter of fact is: travelling through any metro area is a nightmare, particularly in traffic. IE: the corridors between Seattle and Portland, NY anytime, Houston is really bad, Last time I went through Dallas there was so much construction and detours even the Garmin GPS lady just said: forget it pal, you'r on your own, Los Angeles,...OMG, when I pass through LA, I camp out right outside, preferably on a Fri night, then next morning I take off at 4am hauling ass and hoping to pass through NOT at the same time as the Second Coming of Jesus happens...cause I am afraid the motherships wills miss me if I am inside LA when the Lord comes back. When I drive through LA it seems to me, even God done gave up on that place.

...at least in CA you can take your life in your own hands riding between lanes, which is better odds than dying sitting in traffic coming into WA from OR on the I-5. In the latter, you just sit in traffic inhaling fumes until you fall off your bike--hopefully, someone will have oxygen in their car along with the impetus to revive you and not just drive around your body.

Back