Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deflategate

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    .......snip......
    But change a few pounds in a pigskin and the world is in an uproar...
    Not an uproar, I'm a believer that pro sports will do whatever it takes to win......and when the get caught they give the big and claim innocence.
    They are what some aspire to- which is OK I guess- as long as you realize it might not be on the level
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I don't think this was a one game issue and yes, they have been a dominant team. It just goes to the core of sportsmanship.
    Belicheck was caught before cheating with stealing signals from the Jets. Handled and forgotten. Leopards and spots ya know.

Nature of any sport to look for loopholes and push rule interpretations. Some teams,players, organizations are just real good at it and some suck at it.Pro sports is all about the maximum profit and that is the business...find a shortcut and exploit it can get you more money.
    How many college recruiters/programs get caught vs the ones that seem to get away with NCAA rules violations? Happens and has been happening for years.

It was a rule they broke and if it's no big deal, change the rule to " do what you want". Just make us a profit!

Pete Rose was a dominant player, but his gambling issues cost him...no big deal right? Hitting records in baseball with the Popeyed armed sluggers using the Juice...yeah, true sportsmanship cause everyone was doing it
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I don't think the inflation is the big problem. I think lying about it in front of TV cameras will be the punishable problem.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I don't think the inflation is the big problem. I think lying about it in front of TV cameras will be the punishable problem.
    Public opinion seems to be lenient on sports figures...lying to NFL investigators should have repercussions.

I kind of lost interest in pro sports a few years back...the money thrown at these guys will never stop increasing as the owners ( my least favorite Jerry Jones) outspend the next guy and pass the prices on to the little fan. Cities spending money on sports teams facilities instead of infrastructure for the masses is maddening.
    My last Major League Baseball game was one of Nolan Ryan's final pitching performances...the last NFL game was in the Astrodome around 1978. yeah, been a while. I usually go riding on Sunday afternoons anyway
    I'll go watch the local small town Friday Night Light heroes play a real game and be very satisfied they played an honest game.

At least we can still count on Pro Wrestling
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    At least we can still count on Pro Wrestling
    OM
    +1

That and Nascar!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    +1

That and Nascar!
    Yeah NASCAR.....If you pay attention you can learn something from NASCAR- like powering an air wrench or a bare bones- direct wired harness
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Soft footballs - almost as bad as warm hockey pucks, that bounce around too much.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Yeah NASCAR.....If you pay attention you can learn something from NASCAR- like powering an air wrench or a bare bones- direct wired harness
    OM
    I understand they have their lugnut wrenches hooked up to a computer. They can get read outs after a pit stop to see if there were 5 spikes when putting the lug nuts back on. I thought that was kind of cool...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Looks like the decision has been made. From Yahoo Sports:

The league announced Monday that quarterback Tom Brady was suspended four games, the team was fined $1 million and will lose its 2016 first-round draft pick and a fourth-round pick in 2017.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    What is really convincing to me is the wording "more likely than not..." and "generally aware". That's pretty much mostly somewhat more certain than maybe. And the guy who headed the investigation is a lawyer? Absent any real evidence send up a smoke screen.

I was surprised to learn that in the NFL different balls are used for kicking. Now we learn that quarterbacks prepare their balls (so to speak) to their liking including surface scuffing and pressure, within tolerances of course.

Here's an idea. Use one (1) ball for the whole game. Supplied by the League, inflated by the head referee.

Here's another. Stop whining. The Patriots won the championship because they were better than everyone else when it counted, not because of this "inflategate" nonsense.

pete
    Pete,

No offense intended. If it didn't make any difference, why did they risk being caught cheating?????

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Yeah, too much being made of this, IMO. After the massive fumble Goodell did on the Ray Rice incident, it's going to be interesting if he tries to save face and suspend Brady and punish the Patriots. All QBs tell their equipment guys what they like in a football (harder, softer, graininess of leather, etc.) and that type is supplied to them.

1.- You can't measure the PSI of balls at halftime, after these guys already played with them in a game and punish someone.
    2.- You can't have a burden of proof of "probably knew" and punish someone.
    How would you like to be convicted of something where the only evidence against you is one person believing you "probably knew" something?

Do I think Brady said - "Deflate the ball to (x) less pounds of air than the minimum." ? No I don't.
    The morning news satid that "probably knew" is part of the NFL language they use. This is not a courtroom. They set the rules and the standards. Not saying they were right or wrong. Because I

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Looks like the decision has been made. From Yahoo Sports:
    The amount of the fine is small change for them.

More than a slap on the wrist, not as much as it could have been.

Back in Roman times, gladiatorial events were put on to keep the "masses" mind focused on something other than the business at hand. Sometimes there other scarifies that had to be made to make the senseless slaughter "seem" like it actually had a point as well.
    Sometimes the souvenir shop ran out of T-Shirts.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Yeah, small change for the team...it still speaks to integrity and fair play.

Must have been more than "no big deal" eh?