Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Deflategate

Deflategate

Campfire chatter...

Seems the inflation issue is pointing back to Tommy Boy having knowledge of the practice

My headscratcher issue is why is this the only professional sport that allows "personal" balls to be brought to the game? Prima donna QB's should play with what the NFL brings and have complete care and control of them.

Seems like a no brainer from this armchair QB. If a pro pitcher messes with a baseball...he's in deep doo. NASCAR recently caught a team tweaking tires with pinholes to slow leak pressure buildup...big fines resulted.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Well if the standard of proof is "likely generally aware" then I imagine Brady will get his hands slapped. With the score ending up something like 45-7 it is difficult to say the outcome was determined by the low PSI in the balls for half the game, especially when NE outscored Baltimore by a wider margin after the balls were inflated to the proper PSI. I think the outcome will be that one or two low level guys will be fired.

And why not let the teams inflate the balls to whatever PSI they want when they have possession of the ball? Adds another variable for the teams to manage.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    National Felony League

The real heroes are the people that support their families, get their kids up and running and don't shave every situation to their advantage no matter what it costs others.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    National Felony League
    HA!! However, I think that on a scale of felonies per player the NBA has everyone covered.
    Kevin
    Team Pterodactyl

If there was a standard +/- range, seems OK...still have an issue with scuffed/broken in footballs. NFL brings the game balls and leaves with the ones not given away or kept as trophies by players. New balls for every game...just like most other sports. Cannot see a pitcher bringing a few scuffed baseballs to use and that being OK.

Kinda makes one wonder about that awesome one handed catch by the Giant receiver...what PSI was that ball? You would think the fumble prone running backs would benefit with a squishy ball as well.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Campfire chatter...

Seems the inflation issue is pointing back to Tommy Boy having knowledge of the practice

My headscratcher issue is why is this the only professional sport that allows "personal" balls to be brought to the game? Prima donna QB's should play with what the NFL brings and have complete care and control of them.

Seems like a no brainer from this armchair QB. If a pro pitcher messes with a baseball...he's in deep doo. NASCAR recently caught a team tweaking tires with pinholes to slow leak pressure buildup...big fines resulted.
    There is another approach for this sport. I ran youth and adult leagues for many many years. In our football leagues we just let each team supply the ball on offense. As long as it was regulation size we did not care what it was inflated to.

Yeah, too much being made of this, IMO. After the massive fumble Goodell did on the Ray Rice incident, it's going to be interesting if he tries to save face and suspend Brady and punish the Patriots. All QBs tell their equipment guys what they like in a football (harder, softer, graininess of leather, etc.) and that type is supplied to them.

1.- You can't measure the PSI of balls at halftime, after these guys already played with them in a game and punish someone.
    2.- You can't have a burden of proof of "probably knew" and punish someone.
    How would you like to be convicted of something where the only evidence against you is one person believing you "probably knew" something?

Do I think Brady said - "Deflate the ball to (x) less pounds of air than the minimum." ? No I don't.

I rate the Deflategate story just below this bombshell announcement.....

MCDONALD'S EMBRACING NEW INGREDIENT: KALE

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-07-08-04-46
    Kevin
    Team Pterodactyl

One Ring To Rule Them All AirBender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Well if the standard of proof is "likely generally aware" then I imagine Brady will get his hands slapped. With the score ending up something like 45-7 it is difficult to say the outcome was determined by the low PSI in the balls for half the game, especially when NE outscored Baltimore by a wider margin after the balls were inflated to the proper PSI. I think the outcome will be that one or two low level guys will be fired.

And why not let the teams inflate the balls to whatever PSI they want when they have possession of the ball? Adds another variable for the teams to manage.
    Yep this! ^^^

Now that the mayweather/paquiao fight is in the rear view mirror....the sport talking heads can beat this to death AGAIN for the next 2 weeks It's not like it affected the game people!
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing (sold), 2015 San Marino Blue BMW R1200RT

Ah yes - corruption runs rampant in professional sports. And of course the reason is the Billions of dollars that are available for the scooping.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Ah yes - corruption runs rampant in professional sports. And of course the reason is the Billions of dollars that are available for the scooping.
    Any take on professional government? Maybe best to not comment as 1984 was many years ago.
    Jack Watson
    BMWMOA #125089
    2014 K1600GTL
    2013 C650GT

na1g
    What is really convincing to me is the wording "more likely than not..." and "generally aware". That's pretty much mostly somewhat more certain than maybe. And the guy who headed the investigation is a lawyer? Absent any real evidence send up a smoke screen.

I was surprised to learn that in the NFL different balls are used for kicking. Now we learn that quarterbacks prepare their balls (so to speak) to their liking including surface scuffing and pressure, within tolerances of course.

Here's an idea. Use one (1) ball for the whole game. Supplied by the League, inflated by the head referee.

Here's another. Stop whining. The Patriots won the championship because they were better than everyone else when it counted, not because of this "inflategate" nonsense.

pete

Imagine Sunday morning, Dec. 7th, 1941, and the news comes over the radio, "Flash, out-of-town pitcher rubbed down baseballs before game!!!" OMG!!!

So many real issues in the world, I just can't get too worked up over a slightly under-inflated football that had zero impact on the outcome of a game. Fine the team and move on.
    2015 R1200GS Adventure

Many people refuse to acknowledge the science that proves that vaccines work...
    But change a few pounds in a pigskin and the world is in an uproar...