• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Deflategate

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Campfire chatter...

Seems the inflation issue is pointing back to Tommy Boy having knowledge of the practice:thumb

My headscratcher issue is why is this the only professional sport that allows "personal" balls to be brought to the game? Prima donna QB's should play with what the NFL brings and have complete care and control of them.

Seems like a no brainer from this armchair QB. If a pro pitcher messes with a baseball...he's in deep doo. NASCAR recently caught a team tweaking tires with pinholes to slow leak pressure buildup...big fines resulted.

Well if the standard of proof is "likely generally aware" then I imagine Brady will get his hands slapped. With the score ending up something like 45-7 it is difficult to say the outcome was determined by the low PSI in the balls for half the game, especially when NE outscored Baltimore by a wider margin after the balls were inflated to the proper PSI. I think the outcome will be that one or two low level guys will be fired.

And why not let the teams inflate the balls to whatever PSI they want when they have possession of the ball? Adds another variable for the teams to manage.

National Felony League

The real heroes are the people that support their families, get their kids up and running and don't shave every situation to their advantage no matter what it costs others. :gerg
OM

If there was a standard +/- range, seems OK...still have an issue with scuffed/broken in footballs. NFL brings the game balls and leaves with the ones not given away or kept as trophies by players. New balls for every game...just like most other sports. Cannot see a pitcher bringing a few scuffed baseballs to use and that being OK.

Kinda makes one wonder about that awesome one handed catch by the Giant receiver...what PSI was that ball? You would think the fumble prone running backs would benefit with a squishy ball as well.:scratch

Campfire chatter...

Seems the inflation issue is pointing back to Tommy Boy having knowledge of the practice:thumb

My headscratcher issue is why is this the only professional sport that allows "personal" balls to be brought to the game? Prima donna QB's should play with what the NFL brings and have complete care and control of them.

Seems like a no brainer from this armchair QB. If a pro pitcher messes with a baseball...he's in deep doo. NASCAR recently caught a team tweaking tires with pinholes to slow leak pressure buildup...big fines resulted.

There is another approach for this sport. I ran youth and adult leagues for many many years. In our football leagues we just let each team supply the ball on offense. As long as it was regulation size we did not care what it was inflated to.

Yeah, too much being made of this, IMO. After the massive fumble Goodell did on the Ray Rice incident, it's going to be interesting if he tries to save face and suspend Brady and punish the Patriots. All QBs tell their equipment guys what they like in a football (harder, softer, graininess of leather, etc.) and that type is supplied to them.

1.- You can't measure the PSI of balls at halftime, after these guys already played with them in a game and punish someone.
2.- You can't have a burden of proof of "probably knew" and punish someone.
How would you like to be convicted of something where the only evidence against you is one person believing you "probably knew" something?

Do I think Brady said - "Deflate the ball to (x) less pounds of air than the minimum." ? No I don't.

Well if the standard of proof is "likely generally aware" then I imagine Brady will get his hands slapped. With the score ending up something like 45-7 it is difficult to say the outcome was determined by the low PSI in the balls for half the game, especially when NE outscored Baltimore by a wider margin after the balls were inflated to the proper PSI. I think the outcome will be that one or two low level guys will be fired.

And why not let the teams inflate the balls to whatever PSI they want when they have possession of the ball? Adds another variable for the teams to manage.

Yep this! ^^^

Now that the mayweather/paquiao fight is in the rear view mirror....the sport talking heads can beat this to death AGAIN for the next 2 weeks :banghead It's not like it affected the game people!

Ah yes - corruption runs rampant in professional sports. And of course the reason is the Billions of dollars that are available for the scooping.

Ah yes - corruption runs rampant in professional sports. And of course the reason is the Billions of dollars that are available for the scooping.

Any take on professional government? Maybe best to not comment as 1984 was many years ago.

What is really convincing to me is the wording "more likely than not..." and "generally aware". That's pretty much mostly somewhat more certain than maybe. And the guy who headed the investigation is a lawyer? Absent any real evidence send up a smoke screen.

I was surprised to learn that in the NFL different balls are used for kicking. Now we learn that quarterbacks prepare their balls (so to speak) to their liking including surface scuffing and pressure, within tolerances of course.

Here's an idea. Use one (1) ball for the whole game. Supplied by the League, inflated by the head referee.

Here's another. Stop whining. The Patriots won the championship because they were better than everyone else when it counted, not because of this "inflategate" nonsense.

pete

Imagine Sunday morning, Dec. 7th, 1941, and the news comes over the radio, "Flash, out-of-town pitcher rubbed down baseballs before game!!!" OMG!!!

So many real issues in the world, I just can't get too worked up over a slightly under-inflated football that had zero impact on the outcome of a game. Fine the team and move on.

Many people refuse to acknowledge the science that proves that vaccines work...
But change a few pounds in a pigskin and the world is in an uproar...

.......snip......
But change a few pounds in a pigskin and the world is in an uproar...
Not an uproar, I'm a believer that pro sports will do whatever it takes to win......and when the get caught they give the big :dunno and claim innocence.
They are what some aspire to- which is OK I guess- as long as you realize it might not be on the level :eek
OM

I don't think this was a one game issue and yes, they have been a dominant team. It just goes to the core of sportsmanship.
Belicheck was caught before cheating with stealing signals from the Jets. Handled and forgotten. Leopards and spots ya know.

Nature of any sport to look for loopholes and push rule interpretations. Some teams,players, organizations are just real good at it and some suck at it.Pro sports is all about the maximum profit and that is the business...find a shortcut and exploit it can get you more money.
How many college recruiters/programs get caught vs the ones that seem to get away with NCAA rules violations? Happens and has been happening for years.

It was a rule they broke and if it's no big deal, change the rule to " do what you want". Just make us a profit!

Pete Rose was a dominant player, but his gambling issues cost him...no big deal right? Hitting records in baseball with the Popeyed armed sluggers using the Juice...yeah, true sportsmanship cause everyone was doing it:hungover

I don't think the inflation is the big problem. I think lying about it in front of TV cameras will be the punishable problem.

I don't think the inflation is the big problem. I think lying about it in front of TV cameras will be the punishable problem.

Public opinion seems to be lenient on sports figures...lying to NFL investigators should have repercussions.

I kind of lost interest in pro sports a few years back...the money thrown at these guys will never stop increasing as the owners ( my least favorite Jerry Jones) outspend the next guy and pass the prices on to the little fan. Cities spending money on sports teams facilities instead of infrastructure for the masses is maddening.
My last Major League Baseball game was one of Nolan Ryan's final pitching performances...the last NFL game was in the Astrodome around 1978. yeah, been a while. I usually go riding on Sunday afternoons anyway:dance
I'll go watch the local small town Friday Night Light heroes play a real game and be very satisfied they played an honest game.

Back