• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

what year GS to buy ?

KARSTEN

I am again looking to buy a bike. I have had many nice Beemers over the years, going back to my '72 R60/5. I have had several Airheads, a K-Bike and most recently a'99R1100R.Never had a GS. I went today to the closest BMW dealer and tried a 2015 R1200GS. It fit like a glove. I am convinced I must have a GS, an older Model,no plans on riding off road, nor will I be taking any 2K trips, just riding a nice bike as time permits.
Are there any years that are preferred and some not so much? I have not kept up with what is good years for BMW model past the 2004 model, never made it past the oilheads.
thanks for all input in advance.

I am again looking to buy a bike. I have had many nice Beemers over the years, going back to my '72 R60/5. I have had several Airheads, a K-Bike and most recently a'99R1100R.Never had a GS. I went today to the closest BMW dealer and tried a 2015 R1200GS. It fit like a glove. I am convinced I must have a GS, an older Model,no plans on riding off road, nor will I be taking any 2K trips, just riding a nice bike as time permits.
Are there any years that are preferred and some not so much? I have not kept up with what is good years for BMW model past the 2004 model, never made it past the oilheads.
Then, if not new, look for a used 2013 or 2014 GS wet head. There are a few out there. But get the wet head :dance

Then, if not new, look for a used 2013 or 2014 GS wet head. There are a few out there. But get the wet head :dance

I'd have to agree if you already rode a wethead. BMW has a way of making each generation out perform the last just significantly enough that once you try it, it's very hard to go back. This is why I refuse to try a wethead RT....because I know I will want one. That said, all the previous generations are still fantastic bikes. For the least problematic, I'd go with an '08 or newer at the minimum. A camhead (2010-2013) would be preferable. Money will probably be the deciding factor.

If you get an 07 or newer, you avoid the servo assist brakes, which can be a very large repair bill if the unit fails.

Back