Thread: Side Car Tires - R90/6 - Jawa

Side Car Tires - R90/6 - Jawa

Hello!
    After fixing login issues... this is my first post. :-)

I have a couple of airheads and recently acquired a 1974 R90/6 with a side car setup by Jawa. Its a nice rig but I don't have a good place to store it other than outside with covers. So my plan is to fix a few small things and sell it. One of the big things to remedy is the back tire on the R90 is worn flat and bald and should be replaced. It has a set of Cheng Shin tires on it. 1100/90-19 on front and 110/90-18 on back.
    I've read about people using car tires, specialty side car tires, etc. and would like a little advice on what is proven to work well. Also, I've heard the front tire should be a flat profile tire which surprised me but I suppose since you are not leaning much... makes sense.
    The tire on the side car is nearly new.

Photos: 2015-04-01 14.03.45-1.jpg
    2015-03-30 19.08.26.jpg

Thank you
    Tim from Cincinnati OH

Other things to do to this, remove the Luftmeister fairing. As nice as it is, great condition, etc. it is Ugly. I'll have to redo the headlight bucket and turn signals during that process too. Replace a few rubber bits, grips, etc. and the seat. I have a /6 flat seat I intend to put on instead of that comfy but ugly saddle.

Cool Bike

Really nice rig

Before you get rash, your seat is most likely a Russel DayLong, which while not a cutie solo post, IS MEGA COMFI for long days. You can get them rebuilt specifically for your weight and size. I use one on my R1200RT. If you do change it, keep it. Stock seats are fine for shortish runs, and can do much better with sheepskin pad (I used a fake one on my r80rt on cross country trips). But the Russell is the benchmark.

Second. I believe your fairing is a Vetter Windjammer based on the pictures. It is big, but pretty light. Used one on my GS750 for cross-country. Nevery rode without a fairing after. Did have a Luftmeister on my R80. It was good, but did not have the storage of the Jammer.

There are a lot of options for small screens to get the wind off your chest. Use one on my Ural Ural in garage.jpg

On tires. For R90 Square profile bike tires probably the best. As you say no leaning, and the flatter the profile, the more contact patch. You will wear out more tires on the rig pusher, so don't spend a mint. I use Duro, 307 or 308 depending. Mine are 19", but they have 18" as well. Stiff sidewalls good for rigs. Also they have a high weight rating. Mine are 750lbs each (my rig is 800+ lbs; with me on board over a grand). Again, resists the destructive force effects on the tire (from side loading). Heidenau has good tires as well, but $140+ a pop rather than $75. Sidecar tires last forever. Front tires middling distances, but tend to cup after a while, so switch them to pusher position when they are rough riding or too noisy.

Sidecars are a whole other beast from a solo bike. If you haven't had experience before, get training if you can. Evergreen training group has courses around the country. United Sidecar Association another good site for info. David Hough has done a book on riding that is a must read (the yellow book).

Don't forget to take your friends Hannity in sidecar photo.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Car tires would be great if you could find some the right size, rating and don't interfere with the drive shaft. I also use Duro's on my Ural, got about 17000mi out of the front and rotated the pusher, spare and hack wheels so they wore out about the same time as the front. I know of one fellow using Cooker tires for a Model A Ford on his Ural with good results.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

I have a similar rig, a 1978 R100/7 with a Velorex car. While I can't give experienced response, I think I might try a squared off, 'sidecar" tire on the rear. On my rig, the rear tire is getting flattened in the middle as one might suspect. The front tire not so much. When you think about it, with the rake of the fork, the front tire might go off the center grip patch when steering.
    1973 R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
    Before you get rash, your seat is most likely a Russel DayLong, which while not a cutie solo post, IS MEGA COMFI for long days. You can get them rebuilt specifically for your weight and size. I use one on my R1200RT. If you do change it, keep it. Stock seats are fine for shortish runs, and can do much better with sheepskin pad (I used a fake one on my r80rt on cross country trips). But the Russell is the benchmark.

Second. I believe your fairing is a Vetter Windjammer based on the pictures. It is big, but pretty light. Used one on my GS750 for cross-country. Never rode without a fairing after. Did have a Luftmeister on my R80. It was good, but did not have the storage of the Jammer.

VetSurgInc: Thanks for the advice. I'll check the Duros. The seat is a Denfield and did not have hinges, etc. just bungied down. Turns out the rear sub frame had the pins broken off in the hing pin portion of the frame. So I put on another subframe from a /6.

The fairing is not Vetter, it has the original Luftmeister tag on it. I've removed it and put the headlight back in place (took some finagling) and had to find some replacement front turn signals. Turned out well. Yes, I've used the smaller windshields on my other /5. That is adequate and fast to remove.

All is done except the seat and tires. Soon... soon.

Ajacks
    For tires I use Avon triple duty sidecar tires

Quote Originally Posted by 66105 View Post
    For tires I use Avon triple duty sidecar tires
    http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cla...ar-triple-duty

Does the flat profile prevent you from being able to "fly the side car"?

Quote Originally Posted by tburke View Post
    Does the flat profile prevent you from being able to "fly the side car"?
    I don't have those specific tires, and actually have a full-size auto tire on my rear wheel, but it doesn't prevent me from flying the car at all. Feels weird, but doesn't stop me.
    --
    Your MOA Digital Media Editor since 2015 | Lifetime Member #87301
    '05 R1200GS | '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar | '19 Indian FTR1200S
    Check out Chasing the Horizon, a podcast by, for & about motorcyclers