• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Semi off road tire that's good for the road for 2014 R1200GS?

dm930

I'd like to change the Michelin Anakee's to something that has a little more aggressive look without sacrificing quality of ride on the road.
In reality, my off roading will be somewhat minimal, but the current tires are fairly useless if I wanted to go off road.

Anyone with any experience in this area?

Many thanks.

I have a K-60 on the back of the F800GS. It has some noise around 20mph but that is the only speed I notice the noise.
OM

You might try the Continental TK 70's. I am running Karoo 3's on my 2015 R1200 GS they are a blocky tire and they are noisy on the super slabs I have 2000 miles on them if I get 4000 miles I'll be happy, they do work good off road. I plan to put TK70's on after I burn off the Karoo's.

You might try the Continental TK 70's. I am running Karoo 3's on my 2015 R1200 GS they are a blocky tire and they are noisy on the super slabs I have 2000 miles on them if I get 4000 miles I'll be happy, they do work good off road. I plan to put TK70's on after I burn off the Karoo's.

I have not ridden on the TKC70 tires but based on what I have seen that the tread looks like I would say they will be comparable with the Anakee and Tourance as 90/10 or at best 80/20 tires.

As for the Heidenau K60s and noise there are always trade offs. If you want decent gravel/dirt tread you need real tread blocks and these create noise. There is no free lunch here.

It sounds as if you seldom go off road. If you avoid riding in mud and sand then the 90/10 tires are designed for you.

Certainly I realize there is always a compromise in the on road/off road tire options. The 90/10 seems to be what I currently have in the Anakee 3, which I'm quite happy with now that I have 3000 miles of all street riding. I'd like to get a chance to go off road at some point and almost think that the Metzeler Karoo 3 (70/30) could be a more aggressive looking tire with some compromise. My question for anyone that's used this tire is does it noticeably hum at certain speeds and does it corner well on street for what it is?

Certainly I realize there is always a compromise in the on road/off road tire options. The 90/10 seems to be what I currently have in the Anakee 3, which I'm quite happy with now that I have 3000 miles of all street riding. I'd like to get a chance to go off road at some point and almost think that the Metzeler Karoo 3 (70/30) could be a more aggressive looking tire with some compromise. My question for anyone that's used this tire is does it noticeably hum at certain speeds and does it corner well on street for what it is?

Read the 4th review for this tire. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/metzeler-karoo-3-tires

No personal experience with the Karoo, but had a friend with a set on a KLR. The rear tire was worn out in about 4000 miles.

Is it not kind of weird ....that "adventure bike" riders are wimped out by a bit of noise from blocky tires that are actually good in the dirt??

What would be really scary is a bit of front wheel vibration from the tread blocks on pavement!!

Adventure riders??

I mounted a set of TK70's on a Wethead GSA last week. The blocks are tamer than the 80's for sure, but more aggressive than the older Tourance/Anakees before the latest style.

While you can feel the knobs of a 80 rolling on a concrete floor, the 70's do not replicate the feel. The rider is headed to Alaska and has another set waiting for him up there...waiting on performance report.

Talk about stiff sidewalls however! Thought I was mounting ME880's on a LT on a very cold day:violin Had to use the No-Mar spoon bars instead of the mounting bar.

I will be quiet on Adventure rides as I have a set of PR4 Trails on my GSA currently...real fun in the loose stuff:dance :hungover
But I am not headed to the dirt this month and don't need a dual sport tire now.

Heading to Alaska in another month and want to have the Heidi K60's on the bike. It is a 2014 GSA WC. The size tire (frt and rr) is not yet available. Been told they are coming. Been told this since last August and they still have no date when available. Choice is either go down in tire size for the K60's or go with the new Continental TK70's Still mulling it over. Departing in 40 days so I still have some time to make a decision.

So, as I said in my previous reply. I have 2000 miles on Karoo 3's rode to CA on the super slab for March Moto Madness event they make noise on the highway, they handle well in the twisties (though it can be a little un-nerving the first time you roll up on the side blocks) I've had them up to 100mph and they seem to handle ok. I believe they or a 60/40 tire everything I read said that and the TK 70's are 70/30. I've also found that if you deflate the Anarkkee 3's to about 36psi rear and 30psi frt they behave much better on gravel roads (I had 3000 miles on my Anarkees when I removed them for the Karoo's).

If you're worried about the noise of the tires then you don't have your ear plugs installed correctly. :thumb

I'd like to change the Michelin Anakee's to something that has a little more aggressive look without sacrificing quality of ride on the road.
In reality, my off roading will be somewhat minimal, but the current tires are fairly useless if I wanted to go off road.

Anyone with any experience in this area?

Many thanks.

My thoughts on the anakee 3, worked well for me riding fire and state park roads both gravel and packed dusty terrain. I was really surprised, lower pressure and go. If your unsure of terrain, loved
Heidenau's!!! Also a a dependable, when in doubt! Got me through it...love the heidy's.... Long lasting, but
They are viby, and a bit draggy compared to anakee 3. Never rode Conti's, but the burn the rubber fast, from readings...
Based on your comments, and you go more aggressive with you thread choice, remember you can always switch back, until you try them out.... You will always wonder... What if I had those x brand tires...

I've been using my R12R for some off pavement riding for the last few years, including some roads in AK and the Yukon. I've come to the conclusion that just about any tire will do well enough on a dry gravel road or two track. I've run a 100 miles or so recently on gravel and two track roads using PR2s. I believe they do as well as the 90/10 tires I've used on the R12R and my departed GSPD. Mud and sand change everything. In mud the tire's ability to shed the mud is all important and generally anything short of a knobby is not going to do the trick. Sand sucks no matter what. So, given how the OP describes his riding habits, I suggest he stick with the Anakees, Tourances or Shiko equivalents. Stay away from mud and sand and if you get caught in something real ugly, then just realize it was not your day and you are having an adventure.

I think you are seeking the impossible dream... a tire that is long wearing, quiet, handles well on pavement and in the rain, and is good in any off road situation. It does not exist unless perhaps you have the skill level of Roger DeCoster.

I think you are seeking the impossible dream... a tire that is long wearing, quiet, handles well on pavement and in the rain, and is good in any off road situation. It does not exist unless perhaps you have the skill level of Roger DeCoster.

Except for the "quiet" part that pretty well describes my opinion of the TKC80.

Back