• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT Final Drive Failure

joeb83

Long story short - April 28 I drained the FD on my 2013 RT as the final requirement for my first 12k service, and there was a significant (8mm) chunk of curved metal stuck on the end of the drain bolt. In addition, another 5 or 6 2-3mm flakes of metal came out with the drained fluid.

I had hoped that these premature failures of FD's were behind us. Evidently, that is not the case.

Good news is the bike is well within warranty. Waiting to hear if it will be repaired or replaced by the dealer.

I have attached a photo of the detritus for your perusal.

Attachments

• Rear Drive - 12k Miles.jpg
    Rear Drive - 12k Miles.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 633
I will be interested in seeing the photos when that's opened up.
You are going to have to keep a close eye on the dealer to get photos.
The dealer will just give it back to you and say it's all fixed.
Are you sure that came out with the fluid?
dc

As the dealer is a bit over an hour away, I have no choice but to trust them. In this cast, I believe I am, however, in luck, as the dealer is Hermy's in Port Clinton PA. The techs there are good, and the dealer is very active maintaining a good service reputation. They were supposed to open the drive Saturday afternoon, I should hear on Tuesday what the prognosis is.

I think the current practice by dealers now is to replace the entire drive (about $1900) instead of repairing it. Supposedly this was mandated by BMW.

Specifically, Hermy's service department stated they would inspect the internals, and if there was no damage other than the bearing and seals, the drive would be rebuilt. If, however, there was damage to additional internal components, the entire drive would be replaced. Other dealers may have a policy of swapping out the drives, but that doesn't seem to be an across-the-board policy from Motorrad.

this is NOT good news for the 2013 RT...i have one....BUT, i do also have a spare FD, swingarm and gearbox....i have 49000+ miles on my RT and change the FD fluid every 6000 miles...same with the gearbox and motor oil/filter....

good luck on your repair...:)

this is NOT good news for the 2013 RT...i have one....BUT, i do also have a spare FD, swingarm and gearbox....i have 49000+ miles on my RT and change the FD fluid every 6000 miles...same with the gearbox and motor oil/filter....

good luck on your repair...:)

Is your spare FD from a 2013, or from a different year? I have a "leftover" 2007 FD that I would like to be able to use as a backup for my 2013, but don't know iif it fits.....

Heard from Hermy's Tuesday afternoon. BMW declared the FD officially dead and they are shipping a new FD for my bike. Hope to be picking the bike up this week as I have a trip planned starting Tuesday next week.

Is your spare FD from a 2013, or from a different year? I have a "leftover" 2007 FD that I would like to be able to use as a backup for my 2013, but don't know iif it fits.....

yes, my spare FD is from a 2013 Anniv. Edition (zero miles)...the 2007 and 2013 are NOT interchangeable

Can't win for losing.......dealer finally received new rear drive Friday, but they can't install it because they don't have the bolt and pivot pin that attaches the FD to the swing arm in stock, or with the parts shipment. 8^(

BMW specs these to be 1 time use, so no bolt, no progress.

To add insult to injury, this combination of parts has been used since at least 2002 on all of the boxers, transverse k's, even the 6! What really gets me is there was no question these parts would be needed to refit the FD, regardless of whether it was rebuilt or replaced, and no one noticed until 11 days after the bike was delivered to the dealer.

Guess I will have to hitch up my 2003 LT for my trip next week.

Joe B

Can't win for losing.......dealer finally received new rear drive Friday, but they can't install it because they don't have the bolt and pivot pin that attaches the FD to the swing arm in stock, or with the parts shipment. 8^(

To add insult to injury, this combination of parts has been used since at least 2002 on all of the boxers, transverse k's, even the 6! What really gets me is there was no question these parts would be needed to refit the FD, regardless of whether it was rebuilt or replaced, and no one noticed until 11 days after the bike was delivered to the dealer.

Joe B

Sounds like the dealership "dropped the ball" here. I can imagine how frustrating this is. At least you have an alternate ride to fall back on so you can still do the trip.

Joe B
Did they miss ordering it? Was it back-ordered?
If they missed ordering it- shame on them. I would ask to check other dealers inventory and get it shipped overnight.
I find lack of effort very irritating, but all too common nowadays.
OM

I am the original owner of a 1975 R90/6 and from time to time consider selling it and buying something from the modern age, but I continue to read more and more posts about FD breakdowns. Knock on wood, but I have only changed batteries, tires, and front disc brake pads in over 40 years. My R90 has the original clutch and rear drum brakes. I did have to send the speedo out to be rebuilt and I did have the original starter replaced two summers ago, but that is all. I am not sure the newer bikes are up the old BMW standards. I read where after 40,000 miles newer BMW are having ABS units, clutches, etc. replaced. Forty thousand on my airhead required absolutely nothing other than oil filter, oil change, gas, and insurance. Would love to hear from other ariheads.

Final Update

Well, I picked up my bike with new FD yesterday. Everything seems fine, and I would expect nothing else at this point. I did have a discussion with the service manager regarding FD failures and design, especially with regard to the bearing part number not being changed. He told me that while the part has not changed, the design has - specifically, starting with 2010 models, the bearing and seal locations were "reversed" so that the bearing is "inboard" and now has greater exposure to hypoid fluid. So, being the inquisitive type, I pulled up 2 windows with MAX BMW fiche showing 2005-2009 and 2010-2013 FD parts. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to flip back and forth between the drawing and see there is no radical re-design of the FD's in the 2 series.

Oh well, I have extended warranty on the bike, so best to just get on riding it for a few years and see how it holds up.

Back