• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 GSA Front Wheel Spacer

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
I just changed the tire on my front wheel of a 2015 GSA. The BMW service manual indicates that the spacer on the left side (ASB wheel side) is supposed to go in with the lip towards the wheel. On mine the ridge is large and I believe it was installed from the Factory the other way around. In any case the lip side of the spacer appears to large to pass by the bearing seal. Anyone have an answer for this ?

How exactly does the service manual indicate this. Does it say so? Is it an exploded view of parts?

I'd be inclined to put it in the way it fits which is apparently the way it came out.

NO Detail

Try looking at the parts fiche at Max BMW.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=56208&rnd=04282014

Diagram #36_1769

If it will only fit one way, then that's the way.

There is no detail in that drawing. That is the first place I looked. Great idea. I'm going In to the dealer tomorrow. They have a regular GS on the floor and I will see if there is a spacer what way it is in the bike. I'm sure I have it correct as it did not appear to fit any other way, but as my wife says, your not always right....

Service Manual

How exactly does the service manual indicate this. Does it say so? Is it an exploded view of parts?

I'd be inclined to put it in the way it fits which is apparently the way it came out.

The service manual has a drawing of a spacer with a very small protrusion on the end, much smaller then the one on my spacer. They say that this is to go towards the wheel. Mines does not go through the seal so I'm assuming I have it correct ? I will go to the dealer tomorrow and check with a GS on the floor.

The real answer to this problem

I had the spacer in correct. Today I went to the dealer and checked a bike on the floor. The collar or flange is against the fork not the wheel. The moral of this event is check the spacers on a new bike before the fall out of the wheel onto the lift or other parts unknown. Thanks t all for your comments.

:thumb I don't always get back to things that I take apart in a timely fashion. A Sharpie and camera help :gerg
OM

:thumb I don't always get back to things that I take apart in a timely fashion. A Sharpie and camera help :gerg
OM

I thought I was the only one who did that! I never mentioned it for fear of being labeled scatter-brained. It is with a profound sense of relief that I realize I'm not alone. No 12-step program required. :)

I thought I was the only one who did that! I never mentioned it for fear of being labeled scatter-brained. It is with a profound sense of relief that I realize I'm not alone. No 12-step program required. :)
Noooo Pete you are not alone. I further use a wizzer wheel (sometimes a file) to mark parts with hash marks as well. Yesterday I rebuilt a hydraulic cylinder off my back-hoe last night.......Lots of Sharpie marks and pictures as most of those parts can go in backwards. Whatever it takes :gerg
Gary

Unless you lose the smartphone with the pics :banghead

But thanks to the technology that lets one take a lot of pics for reference:thumb

I just rely on my unfailing and faultless memory. I believe that is why I have an immense supply of "spare" nuts, bolts, screws and plastic pop rivets.

Back