• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AeroFlow Windscreen and Helmets

twotie4

I read the recent thread about helmets but I need to narrow down the choices. I recently purchased a new 1200 GS and will replace the windscreen with the standard AeroFlow tomorrow. I was getting a lot of noise with all my helmets with the stock wind screen. Which helmet do you GS guys wear since I'm sure a lot of you have replaced the stock windscreen too? Thanks.

Hummmmm, easy question BUT;

It is a good and seamingly simple question. The problem it is a very subjective topic. Someone will respond to a thread like this and say the ABC helmet is the best and quietest helmet ever. Someone else will chime in and say "You're nuts, I had one and it was terrible what you really want is the new super dupper XYZ helmet."

Most would agree that a quality helmet is important but fit is also very important. Almost all of us would agree to not ride without earplugs which kind of mutes (pun intended) the noise question.

But since you asked I use a Shoei X-11 and am very happy with it. I think it's realatively quiet and much better than the flip up I had before. What I really like best about it is it seems to have very neutral aerodymnamics which helps the neck a lot on long days, it also vents better than anything else I've ever had.

If you punch in "helmets" on the search for this "gear" area you will find enough reading for a cold winter weekend. Good Luck!! and welcome!! :bikes

Last edited:
I find that I am using ear plugs more and more. When you do that, the issue of helmet noise is reduced. Don't forget that the main problem with noise is wind noise at speed, not exhaust sound. Go to your local dealer, get some cheap little Ear-Os and try them. Make sure you're putting them in properly.

What wanderer said.

There are quieter helmets out there, but by far the biggest factor is getting a helmet that fits your properly. If you're getting a lot of noise from a variety of helmets, the helmet is probably not the problem.

Generally speaking, if you want quiet, you need to use 1. earplugs and get 2. either a really small windshield or a really big one (e.g. Aeroflow). The GS's aren't the most aerodynamic bikes. All that turbulence produced by the funky front can mean a fair amount of noise.

Thanks for the replys

I really appreciate the advice and help. My old helmet is a Bell thats about 7 years old. It probadly is worn quite a bit and maybe the fit is not as perfect as when it was new. I am looking at the Nolan, Shoei, and maybe the Schurmberger (?). Like the ease of the front flip. Anyone tried any of these?

Flip ups

I used a HJC Symax for about 8k. I really liked it, it fit me well and was very convenient. My newer full face is significiently quieter and has much smoother air flow. It seems there are many reports of flip ups being noiser than full face but that may be rider by rider, bike by bike, and brand by brand. It sure is a heck of a lot easier to use a drinking tube with a flip up. For what it's worth I have never put my Symax back on since I got my X-11.

I use the Shoei-XSPII that has to be the quietest fully vented helmets...my arai XD is an awesome helmet but a little noisy with the duck bill on.

I do agree though that the windshield on a GS makes more difference than a helmet though. After a recent ride where I had chance to identify noises and sources of discomfort I found that the being 6'2" the standard height windshield places the airflow right at the visor level of the helmet thus creating a harmonic resonance that even with ear plugs can become wearisome over an extended time. No complaints here though, I know what I need to do, buy a Airflow windshield with the 1.5"-2" over height.

Back