• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1986 R80RT Final Drive housing??

Bikemike1

I dropped the oil out of the final drive. When I screwed back the drain plug to the drive shaft, it was stripped. I need to re-thread or helicoil. I got the final drive house off the swing by removing the shock absorber off, removing the adjusting nut off the brake, and the four nuts connecting the final drive to the swing arm. I took it to several machinist and was told I will have to disassemble the inside, i.e. final drive nut/washer/clutch hub, etc in order for him to bring pass the drill bit down so it will not damage the inside? Is this so AND is it difficult. I do have a service manual but it is questionable for me?

Thanks

If it is the drain plug for the final drive itself, they probably want you to remove the ring gear. That's fairly straightforward although you have to make your own mind up on that.

If it's the drain for the swingarm, underneath the front of the final drive housing, that is considerably more complicated. You need to remove the threaded ring, which means taking off the nut.

Which is it?

It's right next to where the housing disconnects to the swing arm SO I would have to remove the nut so a machinist could work.

OK, well to answer your initial questions, yes it is necessary to remove those parts and yes it is on the difficult side. If you have a BMW mechanic nearby, that would be easiest since he would have the tools to remove and reinstall those parts. Of course, he could also repair the thread. For instance, if you walked into my shop, it would be 45 minutes to an hour in all. You need to find a way to hold the housing while you loosen and tighten things. Cycleworks sells a tool that will help you remove the nut, and may have one to help you remove the threaded ring.

Back