• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing the AltRider skid plate on a '14 R1200GSA

dtournas

So let me start by saying that I have no major issues with the BDCW skid plate. It served me well a few months back when I rode AltRider's Taste of Dakar. In fact, I really enjoyed the challenge of installing it myself. I even made a guide about it!

However there were a few things I found weird and due to mild... who am I kidding, severe OCD, I had my mind on 'em all the time. Such is the fact it was using hose-clamps to secure the bracket where the skid plate would be...

zXgWVjp.jpg

See what I mean?

Regardless, even with the hose-clamps, I had no issues like losing it while riding etc. However, while at the Taste of Dakar event, I had the chance to see the AltRider skid plate mounted on a GSA and what can I say... I liked it!

So I violated 2098's toy budget and ordered me one! A few days later...

9Oa3OaB.png

IwexC3M.jpg

So here's everything that was shipped. Of course, the instructions were there as well. Yes, this time I did read them. And yes, I was sure I followed them step by step. And let me tell you what: 1 hour and 9 minutes. That's how long it took me. My only complain...

PxcpIIO.png

But AltRider was kind enough to have their instructions on their website so I got my iPad with me to the garage and started the installation! :clap Not to mention that I was able to get someone on the phone right away and answered a stupid question I had...

QWbwQQy.jpg

Here's a comparison next to the BDCW one. Nothing much different, right? Well... From this picture you can tell that the BDCW has a little bit taller profile. REGARDLESS, this is NOT a comparison. Not yet, this will come after I test the AltRider one!

zm2Fpnc.jpg

So the good folks at AltRider, were kind enough to include a note with what tools I need before I start. Let me tell you: that, was, AWESOME! Having to stop in order to buy those pliers, would have sucked!

So let's start with the first step (that was NOT in the guide)!

tbicuSR.jpg

Let's loosen up all the lower crash bars of the GSA! Because my friends, the skid plate, is attached on the frame (among other places)...

WueiV3v.jpg

All of them...

4LDytX7.jpg

Now we REMOVE this one completely!

ilMCGS3.jpg

W3tWTdQ.jpg

We also remove these two!

54FjmRH.jpg

Thin spacer between the bracket and the frame, using the screw provided.

4uwOrUi.jpg

Thick spacer on the rear one and using the BMW screws.

3K6dXMw.jpg

0sRhLSl.jpg

This is how it will look (LEFT SIDE).

IMPORTANT: DO NOT TIGHTEN THE SCREWS!!! Thank you Kurt!

Now, let's repeat the same steps on the RIGHT side. Yes, I'll show you pictures because OCD that's why! :wink:

OBKSav0.jpg

Remove these two...

VWct7lN.jpg

Remove this one...

UxVWclh.jpg

6EC6D49.jpg

And loosen up these ones.

3jlBSDJ.jpg

Right bracket, front side, thin spacer and screw provided by AltRider.

IKKBkJP.jpg

Thick spacer and OEM screws on the rear right side.

zCXy87V.jpg

cb4NArE.jpg

rBerFSZ.jpg

EXWq1e4.jpg

Better view of what you should look at.

Alright, are you ready for this? Because I sure as heck was not...

Let's put the bike on the side stand. Good... Now... Let's remove the center stand! :eek1:eek1:eek1:huh:huh

Well, yes... the skid plates goes there!

tyPrCzg.jpg

jSKNwy9.jpg

OebsEGP.jpg

Using this doohickey, I removed the safety pin (woohoo!!)

Then, I tried to remove the tube, cylinder, mini barrel, whatever...

S75br2x.jpg

Yeah, ain't happening.

yteLzYT.jpg

Did I mention that AltRider made sure I have all the tools required? Well, I'm not sure this is what I was supposed to do with the extension, but it worked! :D

t6lGgdb.jpg

APt6gTd.jpg

Rinse and repeat (on the other side). And...

jhCDj21.png

This is why we wear protection people! Let me tell you my goggles saved me!

APt6gTd.jpg

VlAVG4B.jpg

LOOK MA! NO CENTER STAND! Did I mention the bike needed to be in the side stand? :lol3

So now, using the screws also provided...

8vzoWWK.jpg

We secure the front side of the skid plate.

h2OeOEf.jpg

Then we put the barrel thingie back through the plate first.

dZodINo.jpg

Then we put the safety pin back.

pltdIxl.jpg

We repeat the same process on the other side. Now, you'll see that in this picture, I... forgot... to put the skid plate before putting the barrel thingie in. So, sue me!

HhVybRR.jpg

Then we secure the barrel thing with the screws provided. Make sure the thread and head type matches!

AuhMObD.jpg

3i9sP0C.jpg

Tighten everything back and you're good go!

NOTES:
1. Make sure you tighten back EVERYTHING!!!
2. Use Loctite thread lock where instructed! (not shown in pictures)

Here's the final product!

ofNmHqh.jpg

HEY!!! I want to see YOU trying fitting 4 bikes and a trailer in a one-car garage! Don't look at my mess :shog

MVBq7BK.jpg

tzYMWk3.jpg

So.... people will ask me: "WHY THE HECK DID YOU REMOVE THE BDCW??!"

Well, among other things because I think the AltRider looks more... stylish. Yes, I'm that guy. Maybe, I'll regret it, maybe not. It is a matter of taste people. Both products are superior. Well, I don't know yet about the AltRider one. I'm going to ride the same terrain in 2 weeks. I'll let you know!

Dimitri, out!

Awesome show and tell. I ordered a bash plate and the crash bars and am anxiously waiting for them to arrive. Fortunately, I haven't laid my bike down yet with about 3,700 miles so far, but there were a couple VERY close calls on some gravel.

Got my new crash bars and bash plate installed

Thought I would share pics of the finished product. This was an extremely easy upgrade.

KEE51cTl.jpg

WvcLDlRl.jpg

1. What is a BCDW skid plate?

2. With the Altrider plate:

a. Can the oil be drained with the skid plate in place?

b. Can the oil filter be removed with the skid plate in place?

That is all. Those are my two absolute criteria for a skid plate. Otherrwise it is time for the big drill and hole saw.

1. What is a BCDW skid plate?

2. With the Altrider plate:

a. Can the oil be drained with the skid plate in place?

b. Can the oil filter be removed with the skid plate in place?

That is all. Those are my two absolute criteria for a skid plate. Otherrwise it is time for the big drill and hole saw.

1: Black Dog Cycle Works is a brand. The one I installed is Alt rider like the OP.

2. a - yes
2. b - yes

Back