• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Backyard Wildlife Photos

From the roof of the barn. Didn't care I was close. From iPad.
om

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 254
Long eared, short tailed forest rats. The third one is out of sight behind the sunflower. One of these days, when I get some room in the freezer..... (Yes, I can legally hunt on my property)

20160725_203928.jpg

We Have A Beaver

This winter a very industrious beaver took up residence in the creek that runs thru our lower pasture. I talked to our rancher neighbor whose family has ranched the same spot since 1863. Evidently this area used to be heavily populated with beaver, but were trapped out. There are many beaver colonies in the hills above us, but only rarely does one make it down into our valley. I have no issue with him being here. He's thinning the willow stand and we have tried to keep this lower area fairly natural. The rancher does have concerns because he uses the creek to water his cows and buffalo as well as flood irrigate his pastures. He is a great guy and we will figure some solution out. We may have to kill the beaver and pull down the dam.

The first picture is looking at the dam from up river. Hard to discern from this angle, but he has created a waterfall and flooded much of the area. Too wet to get downstream for a better picture.

The second picture was taken from the high ground above the creek and shows the flooding; normal the creek would be barely visible. The dam is obscured by the stand of willows.

Attachments

• IMG_5645.jpg
    IMG_5645.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5648.jpg
    IMG_5648.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 192
Woke up this morning and we had an elk herd moving along our southern fence line. About 80-100 elk spread out over 1/2 mile.

04617-A8-C-48-F2-48-B5-8954-459-FC5-F319-B0.jpg

71135931-E822-4-ECB-A426-DAD48-F424-FBE.jpg

DSC_8768.JPG

Clearly taken during the mating season. This tom was all fluffed up for a couple of hens who were pointedly ignoring him.

DSC_6945.jpg

This Red-Tail Hawk came dropping down from a tree with a squirrel in his/her talons.

In my back yard, looking for mice or lizards... Taken from my window. This is a crowded residential & semi-industrial area, so he may be somebody's pet.
Hawk.JPG

I took this picture last year.
The hawk was across the street from our house in town.
Feasting on a squirrel .
After seeing this one I noticed it's not unusual to see them in town.
Mostly I see buzzards.

Redtail Hawk 11-24-19 (2) - Copy.JPG

I’m at my daughter’s house watching the grandkids today. My son-in-law showed me this picture that a neighbor captured on a game camera on his property the night before last. We will be hanging out indoors today.

E7590-C9-C-86-C0-4443-B1-CA-A10-E71731-E9-A.jpg

A neighbor sent me this picture.

0-B0-F8-E51-8-E57-4-BE7-88-A7-ED507-E72817-F.jpg

That’s a grizzly caught on a game camera. The neighbor is a cattle/buffalo rancher and his ranch extends a mile or so to the NE where the picture was taken. My daughter and her family live in that area. There haven’t been any bear sightings in this area for the past ten years, so this is a surprise, particularly because it’s a griz.

Birds in Conflict

While not as dramatic as the Grizzly, I caught a couple birds in conflict over food in my bird feeder in NJ today. One is a male Cardinal and the other a Grey Catbird. FWIW, it's amazing what I have time for as I recover from a knee replacement:

DSC_3307.jpg

DSC_3305.jpg

This guy started hanging at the house last summer. He'd lost his tail to some predator then, it's starting to grow back but not as quickly as I'd have thought.

He's 4+ " in body and thicker than my thumb. He's not timid, he'll stand there and stare at me from 3' away, hence the reason I could get the picture.

Attachments

• 20230425_101553.jpg
    20230425_101553.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 45
Back