Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best or high quality Commuter Riding Gear?

Arrow Best or high quality Commuter Riding Gear?

So here is the story...
    I ride shorter trips, do errands, pick up an occasional carton of milk, go to a Yoga class.

I am looking high quality gear suitable for a commuter style of riding.

I have gear that is more in the touring category, and it is excellent stuff. But it is heavier, thicker and so forth.
    I am looking for lighter and more flexible gear, and thus I seek the wisdom of this forum.

I know that Aerostich has made a name a name for itself with "Transit" gear, but that is above my price point.

Thanks in advance.
    Howard
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Yeah wearing all the gear is no doubt best, but I find, for a short run, over the ankle boots, jeans, mechanic gloves and some "reasonable" coat works for me.
    Some seem to have solved this with a full Aerostitch suit that they can quickly step into- and out of.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Run over to Duluth and talk to Andy Goldfine at Aerostich. Wgat you do is precisely what he had in mind when he invented the Roadcrafter. He now has some stuff in "Lite" meaning thinner, etc. Talk to Andy!!!!!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Look at Olympia Airglide if you want liners or Renegade if you don't. They are reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Run over to Duluth and talk to Andy Goldfine at Aerostich. Wgat you do is precisely what he had in mind when he invented the Roadcrafter. He now has some stuff in "Lite" meaning thinner, etc. Talk to Andy!!!!!
    What he said

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    If you search the flea market for roadcrafter you will find some used suits for sale also.

Just as there's no difference in the gear you should wear between riding an S1000RR and a Vespa, there's no difference in the gear you should wear between commuting and doing the Iron Butt.

Best way I've found to learn gear requirements is to read the annual "Track Day Directory" issue produced by Road Racing Magazine.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Question I hear what you are saying, what about jeans?

Is anyone using jeans? Or Kevlar/cotton jeans?

I have a pr of BMW summer riding pants, very much like jeans, but the cut is for a male supermodel who cruises the Autobahn.
    H
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

boots, knee pads (forcefield) and a
    Klim riding jacket, still warm here in GA so I get all the usual "you must be crazy looks" but it's not all that bad as long as you can stay moving, then again I have a few trips to the sand box under my belt so my perspective is warped to what hot is!

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    Is anyone using jeans? Or Kevlar/cotton jeans?

I have a pr of BMW summer riding pants, very much like jeans, but the cut is for a male supermodel who cruises the Autobahn.
    H
    Jeans have ZERO protective capability. They feel strong when you are running your hands over them, but that cotton fiber INSTANTLY shreds when it hits the asphalt.

Another +1 for the Roadcrafter -- the ultimate commuting suit when balancing protection and ease of donning/doffing.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Imported Norwegian Viking viking59's Avatar
    Commuting every day. Using Darien Jacket & Pants.....for years.
    2015 Gelände-Straße Abenteuer Wassergekühlt Urban Angriffsfahrzeug
    “Don’t Let The Fear Of What Could Happen Make Nothing Happen.”

I don't have another vehicle other than my motorcycles & I wear full gear even if I go 1 mile to the store. I use Olympia gear & I upgrade all of the padding to level 2 amour. The Olympia pants are very easy & fast to put on & take off. Because I ride year round in all types of weather I have several different types of Olympia gear.
    Dave Selvig
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    I don't have another vehicle other than my motorcycles & I wear full gear even if I go 1 mile to the store. I use Olympia gear & I upgrade all of the padding to level 2 amour. The Olympia pants are very easy & fast to put on & take off. Because I ride year round in all types of weather I have several different types of Olympia gear.
    This! I've never understood why people will wear full gear to go on a trip but a ride a couple of miles away they wear less gear. The pavement, deer, texting teenagers and or left turnovers don't know nor care if you're one mile or hundred miles from home.

Sure maybe you ride slower and or feel a short local run lowers your odds of having an accident but if it does happen having gear is always better.

Me I ride 26 miles a day to the train station, 4 days a week I stop at the gym on my way exactly 13 miles or half way, I wear full gear to the gym and from the gym. Yeah it adds time putting on, taking off, putting on and taking off but I know if a deer or car jump out in front of me in those 13 miles I have a better chance of reducing injuries.

I use a combination of gear depending on weather but in general I am a big Firstgear fan been using them for at least 10 years and have their newest TPG Expedition suit, TPG Escape overpants and Rainer jacket as well as full mesh gear. For boots I love Sidi and have gortex, vented and non gortex/vented versions and for gloves nothing but Held, six different pairs for various riding temps and conditions.

On top of that I have heated jacket, pants, gloves and socks for the real cold as I ride until the black ice and snow shows up.

If I had to live with one bit of commuting gear it would be my suit, sidi gortex boots, Caliber gloves and heated jacket. Suffer in the summer but happy the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Just as there's no difference in the gear you should wear between riding an S1000RR and a Vespa, there's no difference in the gear you should wear between commuting and doing the Iron Butt.
    If you are arguing level of protection that is at least an arguably true statement. But if you are talking about a number of other factors including convenience, comfort, water repelency etc. there are vast differences between commuting and riding the Iron Butt Rally. An easy to put on suit that goes over street clothes is very handy for commuting but much less necessary when riding long daily distances. The termperature range the gear is comfortable is critical on the 11 day crisscross country rally but for commuting you can have hot weather gear and cold weather gear and usually don't need both the same day. These are but two examples of several attributes that are different between a 3 mile commute and a 1,000 mile day.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I have summer riding pants, winter riding pants, and a year 'round adventure style jacket - all by Rev'IT. Oh, and an electric vest if sweaters don't cut it. The point is: to have the gear when you need it to ensure a comfy ride. Even better is to have the stuff with you on the bike so you can switch out if needed. Also. Don't forget to have a couple pair of gloves suited to the appropriate season. No matter the brand of outerwear, they all seem to be good these days. Just make sure they are comfortable, and for this I would suggest a motorcycle shop so you can try them one and sit on bikes. Some shops, like mine (Adventure BMW) will let you road test..
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC