• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycles you wish you had kept~

And the 1976 Yamaha RD400 that acquired DG heads and Toomey pipes and...
(box-stock example shown)
1976-yamaha-rd400-21704118.jpg

and along the way, assorted other street and competition machines. BUT... I quit all that when I bought my first BMW in 1984, a 1983 R80ST that had sheltered in a dealer's showroom over the winter...
R0ST.jpg

BUT I STILL OWN THAT ONE! :):twirl:dance

Since buying that ST I've sold a total of ONE of my BMW bikes, and that was a mistake. Darn things are addictive...
:)

Best,

DG

Sure wish I hadn't sold the 1972 R60/5 Toaster Tank that I bought new. Paid $1,600 for it. At the time, I just could not afford another $150 for a 750cc model. I have enjoyed BMWs ever since.
My how time flies when you are having fun.
Charlie

1989 Honda Transalp. Just saw one come up for sale and was tempted. Here's a shot of mine from when I was selling it a few years ago.

BSA A-7 500cc Twin

I don't remember it's year, but I do remember disassembling it, taking the cases, rocker boxes, etc to college with me and wet sanding and polishing them over the winter. Also, since I worked part-time at a garage that had the equipment, I re-ground the valves and seats and put new rings in it. It all went back together at spring break. The reverse cone pipes were cool. With the baffles in, it was reasonably quiet but ran flat from around 3000 to 5000 rpm. With the baffles out, when it hit about 3000, it shot forward like a rocket! I contacted the previous owner and he verified it had a modified cam. I truly wish I had never sold it.

GUMPER019A.jpg

2002 Honda VFR Interceptor, my second bike but the first bike I took on multi-state tours in the Western US.

2004 BMW R1150GS, my third bike and first BMW; bike had the most comfortable saddle on any bike I've ever ridden. First bike where I rode on gravel roads intentionally. Missed it so much I bought my 2009 R1200GSA whose keys you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands, thank you very much.

It would not get much use, but I wish I still had it in my stables.

My 1986 Suzuki RG 500 Gamma....

340 pounds.
95 HP.
Two-stroke - square-four cylinder layout - flat slide carbs.
Four-piston brake calipers up front - ten in total.
Aluminum frame and swingarm and lots more that was leading edge back then.

And damn quick and fast, for a 500 cc.

1986%20Suzuki%20RG%20500%20Gamma%20-%20Left.jpg

1. I have often regretted selling my 1994 VFR, sounded so sweet with the Staintune pipe.

2. My 1995 GSPD-C, great bike, great around town, but it was a weaver on the highway, and I could never get it sorted out.

3. All five of my Triumph Daytona 955's, fantastic design, and another great sounding bike. Seems like I would sell one, and start looking for a replacement.

Maybe my old Hodaka Ace 100 B or the Super Rat or maybe the Road Toad in Kawi Lime!

DSCF0038-Stu-sm.jpg

images

Hodaka_Road_Toad_100CC_(2).JPG

How come I can't get so enthused about the late Chinese knock-offs?

Bought it new in 1984 and still have it in the garage.

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 343
I bought this 2003 DRZ-400S new and heavily modified including weight reduction, carbon fiber turn signals, carbon fiber brush guards, Yoshi exhaust, Excel rims, Talon Hubs, Pilot Powers, and a race Keihin Carb. I miss this bike...

IMG_1637.jpg

I guess if the situation had been right, I would've kept every single motorcycle that I've ever owned. But that just wasn't possible.

If I were to pick one, I think it'd be the '74 Yamaha DT250. I got that brand new when I was 15 years old. I left it at my parents' farm when I married and moved into an apartment in the city. It wasn't practical for me to take along. 2 years later, my dad had a tumor on his spine that caused him partial paralysis. I gave him my Yamaha so he could trade it in on a 3-wheeler so he could get around the farm better. I don't regret giving it to him, but I do wish I had it back. It was a ton of fun, and would be a great bike to have at our cabin.

I still have my first bike, a '92 GN125 I got for my 14th birthday, so I could get to the field and/or the airport after school.
It has almost 4000 miles on it.
SUZUKI-GN125-motorbike-2009-red-28K-miles-Years-MOT.jpg

The bike I wish I still had was a 1983 CB650SC Nighthawk that I bought for $1200 and sold for $1200 about two years later. This is not my bike, but mine looked just like this, except for the grips and front signals. I had the same light, fairing, and stripped badges. And my bike had a different, adjustable exhaust. This was my first shaft-drive bike, and I really liked it.
IMG_0904.jpg

Last edited:
The twin that I had before the twin that I've had for the last 42 years. And I had to borrow a hundred bucks to get it.
Gatlinburg, Memorial Day run 1972.
47 Knucklehead.jpgBill of Sale.jpg47 Bill engine rebuild.jpg

notinla,
Welcome to the forum!
Yeah, the post from Lew is a blast from the past......Really old school :thumb
Gary

Back