• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200rt Rear Shock blown

No, just simply the accumulation of coolant outside the weep hole on the left side of the engine. Honestly, I am not sure I would have noticed if it wasn't for the forum. Never saw a drop hit the ground nor do I believe the leak is significant as my coolant level, while lower, is still in the range after 1500 miles.

Thanks for the info. Good you noticed....and they're repairing it. I'll keep an eye on mine too, only 450 miles on mine. Forums are a good resource for sure!

Hello, I just joined MOA. :)

I have a 2015 R1200R that I purchased about a month ago.

Does this problem usually only apply to the RT? Or is this known to happen to the R as well?

Thanks!

Welcome to the group Soundwave. It appears to be so far the RT with ESA. Also doesn't seem to be incredibly widespread, but these are all her low mileage bikes so likely to see more. The R doesn't have ESA correct? So you should be fine.

I've been thinking about buying a new R1200RT, thanks bootlicking, interesting reading.
Do it! And keep your '04 RT -- that's what I did. :D The bikes are perfect complements to one another -- the same, but very different.

Yesterday I rode the RTW to the office; today I'm taking the '04 (chance of rain, and the RTW is still too pristine to get dirty :D ) -- and I'm looking forward to the commute as much today as I was yesterday.

Life's too short to not enjoy both. :thumb

I am happy to report after 3000 miles across country, some in 102 degree heat, altitudes of 10,000 feet and lots of and lots of spirited riding the new water pump and new rear shock are showing no signs of leaking!

Back