• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200rt Rear Shock blown

The ESA ones that were defective on the 2014 RTs were made by Marzocchi. I don't know if they still make the 2015 ones.

I dropped my bike off on Tuesday and picking it up today. They squeezed it in as this is peak time for service in Minnesota. The dealership ordered a new shock and mentioned it's a $2,500 part (covered by warranty, of course). He also mentioned they are on backorder and acknowledged that others have had the same issue. I think they brought that up as I told them that is the word in forum land. He was pretty adamant stating they don't listen to the forum stuff. As a dealership, I can't say I blame them. I did not get any estimated delivery date. I am going to ride it until the part comes in.

Apparently the dealership offered to wipe it and ride it...how does that take it off the road for unknown amount of time? And you've apparently never owned a K1600 with dead water pump, if you've never waited weeks for a part. Maybe your high visibility gets you better than average service? If so, good for you.

It's not an acceptable amount of time.

Keep a close eye on this "new" shock, let us know if it weeps.

This cant be happening lol i have to laugh honestly so this is my new leaky shock - It appears to be wet around the shock sleeve as well hard to tell in the pictures. will keep an eye on it. :banghead

Maybe why new shocks are on backorder, this one came off a bike on the showroom floor, right?
The other side is I put 800+ miles on mine this weekend with no apparent harm (still weeping just a little).

Then again, this could be BMW's version of the old Triumph factory provided oil leak.
Yup, the newer model shocks will come with a little sight glass that will occasionally fall out and a filler plug that will take a special tool to open. BMW factory branded Funnel will be extra.
Just a thought.....

Took mine in yesterday also for leaking rear shock. Left it and they said would order shock Monday. 2015 R1200RT with 450 miles on it. So 2014 shocks had electrical fault, 2015 have seal fault. I'm not that worried about a wait. As long as it gets fixed and it's safe. They did say it's the first one they have seen leak.

Took mine in yesterday also for leaking rear shock. Left it and they said would order shock Monday. 2015 R1200RT with 450 miles on it. So 2014 shocks had electrical fault, 2015 have seal fault. I'm not that worried about a wait. As long as it gets fixed and it's safe. They did say it's the first one they have seen leak.

2014 didn't have an electrical fault, it was a shaft issue from what I was told. I'm sure this poor quality has something to do with the original manufacturer of the RT suspension in going out of business. Hopefully whomever is making the shocks now does a better job with QC.

Had a different dealer look at it and do my 600mi service. They wiped it down and sprayed a powder like substance on it. The mechanic seemed to think it was oil from the install ? no idea i will just keep on riding and watching

FLASH:

BMW just added this scheduled maintenance step to all 2015 R1200RT motorcycles sold in USA

OIL SHOULD BE CHANGED IN REAR STRUT EVERY 100 MILES TO AVOID LEAKAGE. IF THIS PROCESS IS NOT CARRIED OUT ALL WARRANTY WORK WILL BE DENIED AS IT MAY RELATE TO REAR STRUT. ALSO, BMW RECOMMENDS ONLY THEIR AX95-V7 STRUT OIL BE USED.

I checked with my dealer and the strut oil recommended cost $48.73 for a .17 liter container. However, they quoted me 3 hours labor and two gaskets for a total parts/labor cost of $373.87. But hey, it's a BMW so ya know it's worth every penny. Just need to figure out how I'm going to have them change it every 100 miles, since the dealership is 130 miles away. Oh well again...cause it's a BMW.

Posted by Tongue-in-Cheek Research....enjoy your oil while you have it.

Had a different dealer look at it and do my 600mi service. They wiped it down and sprayed a powder like substance on it. The mechanic seemed to think it was oil from the install ? no idea i will just keep on riding and watching

This mechanic is making excuses. I can't imagine spraying yellow oil on a shock to install it. Maybe a dab of grease on any cross bolts but not yellow oil on the spring. Keep an eye on it - I am pretty sure it is leaking.

But, since I could be wrong would somebody please look at a bike or two on the floor at a dealership and report back if there is yellow oil dripping off the spring.

My mistake about the 2014, but as for the 2015, just called dealer and they said took pics to send to BMW but shock definitely leaking. I told them no hurry. Just make it right.

Just checked the rear shock on my three day old 2015 RT. Found oil on the shaft and lower portion of the spring. Brought it into the dealer and they are following up with BMW. I have 325 miles on the bike.

Just checked the rear shock on my three day old 2015 RT. Found oil on the shaft and lower portion of the spring. Brought it into the dealer and they are following up with BMW. I have 325 miles on the bike.

We all know dealers nor none of their employees ever read Forums such as this...and I assume if they did, they wouldn't act (glance at a potential problem area of product they're selling). SO for anyone picking up a new '15 RT, take a flashlight with you, get on the ground and check that shock for oil! If necessary tell them you'll buy it when it's fixed. This applies even if you're getting a $1,900 factory discount!

I'm at 1200 miles with no oil currently showing nor is there any coolant weeping...so far.

Yesterday I looked at my rear shock on my 6 week old RT, and sure enough, there was oil on the spring. I brought it back to Long Beach BMW for an under warranty shock replacement. Apparently I'm not the first to have this issue. Since I bought my RT from them, they gave me a '14 GS to ride until the work is done. I'm pretty fortunate to live 4 miles from such a good dealership!

My dealer said my shock arrived yesterday. Was ordered a week ago Monday....so not so bad. Pick it up hopefully Saturday!

Back