• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 R1200rt Rear Shock blown

bootlick

First I want to say hello as I am new to the forums and a first time BMW owner.

I purchased My new 15 R1200rt and picked it up on Apr 11th I took it out on a few break in runs and piled up 200 miles. During a wipe down inspection I noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the rear shock. The bike was back in the shop on the 13th and has remained there since. They initially wanted to wipe down the shock and have me keep an eye on it (laughable) The dealer decided that if I was uncomfortable they would have a tech ride it and give me a loaner to get home F800r. I wrote an email with my concerns to the sales person but I am not sure what can be done. There is no estimated time of repair other than we will let you know.. Any suggestions on what direction I can go from here. A friend suggested contacting the area BMW rep but i am not sure it would be worth my effort. Not the experience I was looking for when I finally bought my dream bike.

Thanks in advance for the help

BootIMG_0656.jpgIMG_0655.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
It's always unfortunate to have a problem with a new bike but it is under warranty, the dealer will fix it.
Chances are you were aware of the problems some time back where BMW issued a "stop ride" request due to shock problems (vendor error) on an earlier model. BMW went to work and got things squared away. Give them the chance to get the part/figure out what is wrong and get you squared away.
Good luck.
Gary

There is no estimated time of repair other than we will let you know.. Any suggestions on what direction I can go from here. A friend suggested contacting the area BMW rep but i am not sure it would be worth my effort. Not the experience I was looking for when I finally bought my dream bike.

Thanks in advance for the help

Boot

Four days ago you posted over on bmwsporttouring that a replacement shock is already enroute. You've rejected your friends' suggestion. At this point, I'm not sure what more you are expecting in the way of help .

:scratch

Four days ago you posted over on bmwsporttouring that a replacement shock is already enroute. You've rejected your friends' suggestion. At this point, I'm not sure what more you are expecting in the way of help .

:scratch

Like you I am on multiple forums and I suppose I posted mostly out of frustration. I joined here Yesterday so I decided to add the post. It also doesnt hurt to put feelers out to see if anyone else is having the same issue. I am sorry you had to read about the problem twice. thank you for your positive input:thumb

It's just a bad seal. Like any other part sometimes defects happen. It sucks, sure, but it, like any other part will be replaced and you'll be back riding soon enough. This is no big deal/non issue imho.

It's just a bad seal. Like any other part sometimes defects happen. It sucks, sure, but it, like any other part will be replaced and you'll be back riding soon enough. This is no big deal/non issue imho.

Your correct just a bad stroke of luck I am a motor officer and got my riding in yesterday but the Harley does not compare to the smile I get behind the bars of the RT trying to stay positive :love :dance

Your correct just a bad stroke of luck I am a motor officer and got my riding in yesterday but the Harley does not compare to the smile I get behind the bars of the RT trying to stay positive :love :dance

Welcome to the Forum.

The biggest smiles I've had on a motorcycle came on my R1200RT, but then again so did my biggest headaches and maintenance expenses of any brand.

I've owned BMW, Honda and Suzuki, and like you (a fellow Motor Officer), I spent 7 years riding H-D RoadKings every day, so I'll add Harley to my 'ownership' resume. As a professional motorcycle instructor, I also ride a broad sampling of Yamaha bikes at Road America.

Time will tell how you fare with the RT - if it's good to you, you will love every minute of it and wonder why you waited so long to buy one.

Best of luck! :wave

Like you I am on multiple forums and I suppose I posted mostly out of frustration. I joined here Yesterday so I decided to add the post. It also doesnt hurt to put feelers out to see if anyone else is having the same issue. I am sorry you had to read about the problem twice. thank you for your positive input:thumb

I have no problem with reporting faults on multiple forums - this is info that should be available to all. I just did not understand reporting the problem and withholding the probable resolution that is underway.

FWIW, your friend's suggestion probably would not have hastened repairs. BMW corporate "customer service" is frequently reported to be reluctant to intervene on a customer's behalf, usually just referring you back to the dealer. But at least you would have another opportunity to vent your frustration...

The radio aerial fell off my RT last week and I could care less whether this has happened to anyone else.

I have no problem with reporting faults on multiple forums - this is info that should be available to all. I just did not understand reporting the problem and withholding the probable resolution that is underway.

FWIW, your friend's suggestion probably would not have hastened repairs. BMW corporate "customer service" is frequently reported to be reluctant to intervene on a customer's behalf, usually just referring you back to the dealer. But at least you would have another opportunity to vent your frustration...

I am glad you dont have a problem with it I am sure all members appreciate your astute observations. As for the resolution a shock is being shipped from Germany and customer service from BMW contacted me today with a request for more information.

There is no point insinuating that I am in some way misleading anyone and for what purpose ? :scratch

Hey bootlick, sorry to hear about the new bike issue. Hope your back riding soon. Welcome to the forum and thanks for being a member!

Update: customer service from BMW USA contacted me wanting to know the particulars and were concerned about the dealers response to the issue. They did however say that if the bike is down for more than two weeks they would consider some type of compensation no promises ... I believe they get concerned after 14 days because it is nearing lemon law issues.
purchased new 4/11 placed in shop 4/13 today is 10 days I am missing out on some great riding weather :banghead

anyone familiar with MGL c90 7n 1/2 ?

You should fill in your profile when you get a chance, that what we would know where you are cuz...................here in Mass, no lemon law for motorcycles.
The lemon law thing is a PITA without a dealer/manufacturer being "on board" as to the bike being bad.
State to state things vary a lot.
OM

You should fill in your profile when you get a chance, that what we would know where you are cuz...................here in Mass, no lemon law for motorcycles.
The lemon law thing is a PITA without a dealer/manufacturer being "on board" as to the bike being bad.
State to state things vary a lot.
OM

OOOps I will update it ASAP ... I thought it did not cover off road vehicles but did cover motorcycles.

“Motor vehicle” or “vehicle”, any motor vehicle as defined in section one sold, leased or replaced by a dealer or manufacturer after the effective date of this section, except that it shall not include auto homes, vehicles built primarily for off-road use or any vehicle used primarily for business purposes. Just my two cents. Found it in Mass General Laws and hate to see a brother in blue kicked when he's down or a least his bike.

Looks like I have some oil on my 2015 R1200RT with about 800 miles on it. Off to the dealer. I decided to take a look after reading this thread. Everyone may want to take a look with this model.

Attachments

• 2015-04-27 14.28.29.jpg
    2015-04-27 14.28.29.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 154
Looks like I have some oil on my 2015 R1200RT with about 800 miles on it. Off to the dealer. I decided to take a look after reading this thread. Everyone may want to take a look with this model.[/QUOTE

not good im glad you caught it. !!!! check your shocks people

update. TOday i received an email from the dealer .. the shocks are on back order it will be weeks before the first few are shipped. that will put my new bike in the shop well over a month .... :banghead

New bike - 2 days - 200 miles - then broken in the shop for more than a month.

I'd tell them I want a different bike - they can use this one as a demo when they fix it. They won't agree of course since it technically would be a used (already registered to you) bike, so then ask for a loaner something till they fix yours.

Back