Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 R1200rt Rear Shock blown

2015 R1200rt Rear Shock blown

First I want to say hello as I am new to the forums and a first time BMW owner.

I purchased My new 15 R1200rt and picked it up on Apr 11th I took it out on a few break in runs and piled up 200 miles. During a wipe down inspection I noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the rear shock. The bike was back in the shop on the 13th and has remained there since. They initially wanted to wipe down the shock and have me keep an eye on it (laughable) The dealer decided that if I was uncomfortable they would have a tech ride it and give me a loaner to get home F800r. I wrote an email with my concerns to the sales person but I am not sure what can be done. There is no estimated time of repair other than we will let you know.. Any suggestions on what direction I can go from here. A friend suggested contacting the area BMW rep but i am not sure it would be worth my effort. Not the experience I was looking for when I finally bought my dream bike.

Thanks in advance for the help

BootIMG_0656.jpgIMG_0655.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    It's always unfortunate to have a problem with a new bike but it is under warranty, the dealer will fix it.
    Chances are you were aware of the problems some time back where BMW issued a "stop ride" request due to shock problems (vendor error) on an earlier model. BMW went to work and got things squared away. Give them the chance to get the part/figure out what is wrong and get you squared away.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by bootlick View Post
    There is no estimated time of repair other than we will let you know.. Any suggestions on what direction I can go from here. A friend suggested contacting the area BMW rep but i am not sure it would be worth my effort. Not the experience I was looking for when I finally bought my dream bike.

Thanks in advance for the help

Boot
    Four days ago you posted over on bmwsporttouring that a replacement shock is already enroute. You've rejected your friends' suggestion. At this point, I'm not sure what more you are expecting in the way of help .

Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Ohhhh snap.
    2015 R1200RT
    Ilium Crash Bars, Illium Pegs, Clearwater Erikas, Wunderlich Touring Screen, Wunderlich Vario Levers, Bakup Rest, Paint-Matched 49L Top Case.

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Four days ago you posted over on bmwsporttouring that a replacement shock is already enroute. You've rejected your friends' suggestion. At this point, I'm not sure what more you are expecting in the way of help .

Like you I am on multiple forums and I suppose I posted mostly out of frustration. I joined here Yesterday so I decided to add the post. It also doesnt hurt to put feelers out to see if anyone else is having the same issue. I am sorry you had to read about the problem twice. thank you for your positive input

It's just a bad seal. Like any other part sometimes defects happen. It sucks, sure, but it, like any other part will be replaced and you'll be back riding soon enough. This is no big deal/non issue imho.

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    It's just a bad seal. Like any other part sometimes defects happen. It sucks, sure, but it, like any other part will be replaced and you'll be back riding soon enough. This is no big deal/non issue imho.
    Your correct just a bad stroke of luck I am a motor officer and got my riding in yesterday but the Harley does not compare to the smile I get behind the bars of the RT trying to stay positive

Smile

Your correct just a bad stroke of luck I am a motor officer and got my riding in yesterday but the Harley does not compare to the smile I get behind the bars of the RT trying to stay positive
    Welcome to the Forum.

The biggest smiles I've had on a motorcycle came on my R1200RT, but then again so did my biggest headaches and maintenance expenses of any brand.

I've owned BMW, Honda and Suzuki, and like you (a fellow Motor Officer), I spent 7 years riding H-D RoadKings every day, so I'll add Harley to my 'ownership' resume. As a professional motorcycle instructor, I also ride a broad sampling of Yamaha bikes at Road America.

Time will tell how you fare with the RT - if it's good to you, you will love every minute of it and wonder why you waited so long to buy one.

Best of luck!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Like you I am on multiple forums and I suppose I posted mostly out of frustration. I joined here Yesterday so I decided to add the post. It also doesnt hurt to put feelers out to see if anyone else is having the same issue. I am sorry you had to read about the problem twice. thank you for your positive input
    I have no problem with reporting faults on multiple forums - this is info that should be available to all. I just did not understand reporting the problem and withholding the probable resolution that is underway.

FWIW, your friend's suggestion probably would not have hastened repairs. BMW corporate "customer service" is frequently reported to be reluctant to intervene on a customer's behalf, usually just referring you back to the dealer. But at least you would have another opportunity to vent your frustration...
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

The radio aerial fell off my RT last week and I could care less whether this has happened to anyone else.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    The radio aerial fell off my RT last week and I could care less whether this has happened to anyone else.
    Well which is it....."I (you) could care less"...or you do want to know about anyone else's aerial? LOL?
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I have no problem with reporting faults on multiple forums - this is info that should be available to all. I just did not understand reporting the problem and withholding the probable resolution that is underway.

FWIW, your friend's suggestion probably would not have hastened repairs. BMW corporate "customer service" is frequently reported to be reluctant to intervene on a customer's behalf, usually just referring you back to the dealer. But at least you would have another opportunity to vent your frustration...
    I am glad you dont have a problem with it I am sure all members appreciate your astute observations. As for the resolution a shock is being shipped from Germany and customer service from BMW contacted me today with a request for more information.

There is no point insinuating that I am in some way misleading anyone and for what purpose ?

Hey bootlick, sorry to hear about the new bike issue. Hope your back riding soon. Welcome to the forum and thanks for being a member!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw)

Update: customer service from BMW USA contacted me wanting to know the particulars and were concerned about the dealers response to the issue. They did however say that if the bike is down for more than two weeks they would consider some type of compensation no promises ... I believe they get concerned after 14 days because it is nearing lemon law issues.
    purchased new 4/11 placed in shop 4/13 today is 10 days I am missing out on some great riding weather

anyone familiar with MGL c90 7n 1/2 ?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    You should fill in your profile when you get a chance, that what we would know where you are cuz...................here in Mass, no lemon law for motorcycles.
    The lemon law thing is a PITA without a dealer/manufacturer being "on board" as to the bike being bad.
    State to state things vary a lot.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200