• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing the transmission rubber boot

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I need to replace the rubber boot on the back of the transmission--the one underneath the clutch activator arm. In taking a quick look, it appears as though I need to move the swing are back in order to R&R the boot. Is it possible to replace the boot without moving the swing arm back? Granted it looks like a royal PITA to do it that way, but still may be preferred to moving the swing arm.

Before I forget--1988 R100 RT

Just saw some discussion about this on a Vintage forum. I think the suggestions were:

- pull swingarm back (remove pins, brake rod, etc.)
- move engine forward (might be issues with mufflers, crossovers, foot shifter)
- rotate engine about the front mounts (same issues with mufflers and shifter)
- try and slip it between the gap

It sure would be nice to be able to slip it through...some said they had done it. I'd like to have a spare boot on hand in case the first one tore. I'd remove the bolts from the output shaft, grab my favorite beverage, and then sit back and study the situation!

I assume you are talking about the driveshaft boot, not the clutch boot? It is not hard to move the swing arm back. Just remove the tire, the left and right side swing arm bolts. Drop the mufflers to give you some room, remove the shock bolt, tie the swing arm up, and slide it back. No need to do anything to the transmission, engine mounts, etc. Of course, the drive shaft bolts need to be removed, and it is recommended to replace those with new ones. Beware, they come in two sizes, one type takes a washer, the other doesn't.

I assume you are talking about the driveshaft boot, not the clutch boot? It is not hard to move the swing arm back. Just remove the tire, the left and right side swing arm bolts. Drop the mufflers to give you some room, remove the shock bolt, tie the swing arm up, and slide it back. No need to do anything to the transmission, engine mounts, etc. Of course, the drive shaft bolts need to be removed, and it is recommended to replace those with new ones. Beware, they come in two sizes, one type takes a washer, the other doesn't.

Actually, I was talking about the clutch boot.

Just did one recently. Removing the pivot screw isn't the worst thing you could do. You still have to deal with the spring under the boot. While you're at it, inspect, clean, and grease the throwout bearing before reassembly.

Jeff, Can you take a few pictures as you do this.

I'll do my best. There's not much room in there and there's plenty of things blocking a good shot. When I installed the boot, I had the swing arm off doing other repairs. That being said, I'm busy this weekend, so I won't be out there scraping my knuckles and swearing. It does seem like it's possible to do without removing the swing arm, so next I need to psych myself up and convince myself it won't be that difficult working in the small space between the transmission and swing arm.

Update. Life is not giving me much free time these days. I tried this weekend to remove the clutch activator arm, but it cannot be removed with the swing arm in place. I will have to remove the swing arm to get access. Real bummer.

I was finally able to spend some time over the last two weekends and I pulled the tranny to do a spline lube as well. This was a good thing since the splines were dry. While everything was apart, I was able to replace the rubber boot under the clutch activation arm. I still have a little bit more work to get the bike back together (I realized the fuel lines need to be replaced, but didn't have time to run out and get some).

Back