• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coolant Leak 2014/2015 R1200 RT

14 coolant leak

I bought my 14 R1200RT as a demo bike with 1500 miles. While riding in the NC mountains, a couple weeks after purchase, I noticed it dribbling water from the weep hole. Rode it back home and called the dealer. Told them what I saw. They immediately scheduled an appointment and replaced the water pump. No questions asked. No other issues, other than the seat is hard as a brick!

I bought my 14 R1200RT as a demo bike with 1500 miles. While riding in the NC mountains, a couple weeks after purchase, I noticed it dribbling water from the weep hole. Rode it back home and called the dealer. Told them what I saw. They immediately scheduled an appointment and replaced the water pump. No questions asked. No other issues, other than the seat is hard as a brick!

Based on my experience, keep an eye on it since I'm scheduled for water pump #3

And I can do an hour, maybe an hour and half on the stock seat but 10-12 with an Airhawk. Heading for NC mountains next week.

My 2014 R1200GS has the weep hole leak and dealer in Asheville says to keep an eye on it until it gets worse. So now I also have a 2016 R1200RS and now at 1,030 miles I notice a slight weep. Haven't called the dealer in Chattanooga but will soon. It seems BMW would let us know what causes this and when is it normal and when is it a problem. Really poor service from Munich or Berlin or wherever this engine was designed.

Have a 2016 RS with just over a 1000 miles as well that just started leaking after my last ride. Didn't notice it during the ride, but before going on my next ride I saw the blue/green splatter all over the left side engine case. Called the dealer and sent photo's. They asked if I could ride it a few more times to see if the leak continues, as sometimes they stop on their own:scratch They said that they will replace the waterpump at my descretion, so I agreed to give it a couple of more rides. Not really buying the whole "it's normal, it get's better, don't worry, " thing. BMW does not produce the only water cooled bike out there and this is the only one I've ever owned that has done this. Imagine I'll be getting a new waterpump in a few weeks:nod

Last edited:
Always interesting what BMW provides quality control wise on their premium priced products. How many other manufactures produce drive shafts, switch assemblies and water pumps (among other items) without continuous (multiple model years) systemic failures...at a premium price point? I dare say BMW leads the pack. These are not new ground breaking tech inventions...does make people scratch there collective heads.

Always interesting what BMW provides quality control wise on their premium priced products. How many other manufactures produce drive shafts, switch assemblies and water pumps (among other items) without continuous (multiple model years) systemic failures...at a premium price point? I dare say BMW leads the pack. These are not new ground breaking tech inventions...does make people scratch there collective heads.

And it's something that only BMW, someone that works for them or their vendors can answer, won't, which is an answer in itself.

Ok, I'm curious about something, so this is a legitimate question: Can a Wethead be used as an Airhead? Let's say you are off on vacation somewhere and you suddenly lose all your coolant. Is the Wethead designed so that it absolutely needs coolant or can you continue to run until you could get repairs made?

The repairs wouldn't be covered by warranty!

Ok, I'm curious about something, so this is a legitimate question: Can a Wethead be used as an Airhead? Let's say you are off on vacation somewhere and you suddenly lose all your coolant. Is the Wethead designed so that it absolutely needs coolant or can you continue to run until you could get repairs made?
Wethead tolerances are much tighter than in the past in order to meet ever-tightening emissions and noise requirements. This requires higher thermal stability, hence the focused cooling in the head around the valves. It would not take long for a wethead without coolant to suffer damage.

we got a leaker!

We got a leaker! In for the routine 6,000 on my 2015 GSA, and all be dammed, they have to change out
The water pump. Coming out of the weep hole, it looks like crystallized meth. When dry. I was able to
Continue riding and return for the part change when it comes in, so the bike will need a day at the shop.

It's a warranty covered issue, and the leak is not so bad....yet ....that the bike can't be ridden, so I'm calm
About it now, unless it leads to other things.

Well, to answer my earlier post, about questioning service intervals.... Just do it.! Because i was not
Familiar with an occurring issue such as the water pump. Food for thought..?

Bike with 2500kms. Went for a 3 hour ride today and after washing it this is what I discovered.
I hope I don get a "normal" verdict from the stealership tomorrow..
Any thoughts?leak 2.jpg

Have a 2016 RS with just over a 1000 miles as well that just started leaking after my last ride. Didn't notice it during the ride, but before going on my next ride I saw the blue/green splatter all over the left side engine case. Called the dealer and sent photo's. They asked if I could ride it a few more times to see if the leak continues, as sometimes they stop on their own:scratch They said that they will replace the waterpump at my descretion, so I agreed to give it a couple of more rides. Not really buying the whole "it's normal, it get's better, don't worry, " thing. BMW does not produce the only water cooled bike out there and this is the only one I've ever owned that has done this. Imagine I'll be getting a new waterpump in a few weeks:nod

Actually, there are numerous cases of the leak/weep stopping on its own. Some dealers think pressure is building in the reservoir and causing the problem. :dunno

Jim :brow

Hmm sound familiar to anyone who owned a K1200LT. Water pump weep hole dribble. New waterpump fixed with no further problem. Was a 2001 model. Maybe they used the same design?

As an aside, I couldn't find it in the owners manual, does anyone know what fluid is recommended for the wethead cooling system?

My third water pump seems to be holding up. Between those and the $2500 compensation for the recall, BMW sure didn't make any money on mine.

R1200RS Coolant Leak

My new R1200RS began leaking coolant from the weephole at 1,500 miles. The dealer replaced the water pump without hesitation. Have gone about 300 miles since the repair, so far, so good. I know one other RS owner that got the same leak. This is my first new BMW, I would have thought this leak issue would have been resolved by now. :scratch

Charlie

My new R1200RS began leaking coolant from the weephole at 1,500 miles. The dealer replaced the water pump without hesitation. Have gone about 300 miles since the repair, so far, so good. I know one other RS owner that got the same leak. This is my first new BMW, I would have thought this leak issue would have been resolved by now. :scratch

Charlie

Charlie, sorry to hear the misfortune with pump. Note this is your first new BMW, no need to scratch that head. Believe me, it can take years before BMW can figure out or more likely be willing to correct design/manufacturing flaws. They seem, from my experience, to have more difficulty sourcing quality parts and/or workable engineering designs than many other makers. And they are certainly slower to address known issues (by end user...BMW will rarely admit to them)...unless it was a rear strut on RTs last summer, where the initial remedy was quite simple...just don't ride it. Continued good luck with the new pump.

Back