Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Coolant Leak 2014/2015 R1200 RT

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubick View Post
    That's why you don't buy a first edition model. I'll ride my 2010RT until the bugs are worked out.
    Except the Wethead has been out since 2013, which means this is NOT a first edition.

Jim

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrm69 View Post
    Have a 2016 RS with just over a 1000 miles as well that just started leaking after my last ride. Didn't notice it during the ride, but before going on my next ride I saw the blue/green splatter all over the left side engine case. Called the dealer and sent photo's. They asked if I could ride it a few more times to see if the leak continues, as sometimes they stop on their own They said that they will replace the waterpump at my descretion, so I agreed to give it a couple of more rides. Not really buying the whole "it's normal, it get's better, don't worry, " thing. BMW does not produce the only water cooled bike out there and this is the only one I've ever owned that has done this. Imagine I'll be getting a new waterpump in a few weeks
    Actually, there are numerous cases of the leak/weep stopping on its own. Some dealers think pressure is building in the reservoir and causing the problem.

Jim

Hmm sound familiar to anyone who owned a K1200LT. Water pump weep hole dribble. New waterpump fixed with no further problem. Was a 2001 model. Maybe they used the same design?

As an aside, I couldn't find it in the owners manual, does anyone know what fluid is recommended for the wethead cooling system?
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

My third water pump seems to be holding up. Between those and the $2500 compensation for the recall, BMW sure didn't make any money on mine.

R1200RS Coolant Leak

My new R1200RS began leaking coolant from the weephole at 1,500 miles. The dealer replaced the water pump without hesitation. Have gone about 300 miles since the repair, so far, so good. I know one other RS owner that got the same leak. This is my first new BMW, I would have thought this leak issue would have been resolved by now.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie7 View Post
    My new R1200RS began leaking coolant from the weephole at 1,500 miles. The dealer replaced the water pump without hesitation. Have gone about 300 miles since the repair, so far, so good. I know one other RS owner that got the same leak. This is my first new BMW, I would have thought this leak issue would have been resolved by now.

Charlie
    Charlie, sorry to hear the misfortune with pump. Note this is your first new BMW, no need to scratch that head. Believe me, it can take years before BMW can figure out or more likely be willing to correct design/manufacturing flaws. They seem, from my experience, to have more difficulty sourcing quality parts and/or workable engineering designs than many other makers. And they are certainly slower to address known issues (by end user...BMW will rarely admit to them)...unless it was a rear strut on RTs last summer, where the initial remedy was quite simple...just don't ride it. Continued good luck with the new pump.
    MOA #46783