Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Leak 2014/2015 R1200 RT

hopz

Coolant Leak 2014/2015 R1200 RT

Hello Friends.

Wanted to get a pulse on the Coolant Leak situation of the 14/15 bikes.

I recently bought a '14 and I am enjoying it very much. After a recent ride I was cleaning the bike and discovered a coolant leak from the weep hole on the left side. This leak was not trivial but a very large spray of dried coolant extending from the hole to the bottom of the engine and rearward a significant distance. I have photos I can share with interested parties.

I took the bike to my local dealer who took a rather casual look at it and declared it "Normal".

I do not consider it in any fashion "Normal". Most liquid cooled machines contain their liquids... that is normal... to me... not a leak.

I contacted BMW Motorrad, NA and after several days the answer I received was also "normal". Their reply was "so sorry but go to your dealer..."

Further conversation revealed that BMW NA does not and cannot talk to BMW engineers or others who may be able to shed some light on the "normal" coolant leak... and furthermore... go to your dealer.

I find this reply well-short of good customer relations support and I feel like it is another problem that is being swept under the bureaucratic rug... just go to the dealer...

So... if any of you would like to... please contact me with your Leak Story... good, bad, indifferent. I am compiling a list. Nothing planned to do with it yet... just making a list of those of us who had/have the leak. You can post here, post a Private Mail to me, or email me at bstovall735@gmail.com

ALL replies will be kept in strict confidence and not action using your information will the taken without notice to you.

Thanks.

Bob

P.S. I still love the bike, but I hate the way this is being dealt with.

Welcome to the MOA and forum! Here are some posts on the forum about coolant leaks:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....3-Coolant-leak

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....c-coolant-leak

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....3-Coolant-Leak

Maybe give you some idea of how others have dealt with it. You can search for more using the google box at the top of the screen and type "site:bmwmoa.org coolant leak".
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Tell me it ain't so

That's why they are called WET HEADS

No leaks here
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    That's why they are called WET HEADS
    That's why you don't buy a first edition model. I'll ride my 2010RT until the bugs are worked out.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Quote Originally Posted by jdubick View Post
    That's why you don't buy a first edition model. I'll ride my 2010RT until the bugs are worked out.
    That's what us OLD Hexhead owners said about the Camhead change
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    That's what us OLD Hexhead owners said about the Camhead change
    You got me on that one.....however the only problem I have had was the fuel strip. I have refused to test ride the wet head because I'm afraid I might get hooked.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Jim, l made that very mistake. I brought my wife's GS in for warranty work and test rode a '14 RT for kicks........it followed me home.
    Paul
    Stop wrestling with your motorcycle, dance with it.
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

I had the leak on my 2014 RT. I didn't even notice it but was talking to someone who pointed it out. You could see the stain from the weep hole but it hadn't lost enough fluid to move the level on the check thing. Dealer replaced the water pump. No further issues.

Quote Originally Posted by roberts735 View Post
    Wanted to get a pulse on the Coolant Leak situation of the 14/15 bikes.
    Then you should obtain the Winter 2014 issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine and read the article "Long-Term Test, BMW R1200GS First Inspection Report."

THIS is the source for BMW in-service information ... not your dealer and for sure not MOA.

New water pump design available, etc., etc.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Then you should obtain the Winter 2014 issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine and read the article "Long-Term Test, BMW R1200GS First Inspection Report."
    I will look into that: http://bmwmcmag.com/

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

It's Leaking

I've had my 2014 RT for less than a month. It's in the shop now to get the leak fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    GKMMC 105
    IBA #58270
    2014 R1200RT

Dealer just changed mine at 4000 kms, started to leak at about 600 kms. Fluid loss over that time (4 - 5 weeks) and distance was negligible. Bike was in the shop for about 4 hours.
    2014 R1200GSA 38,000, 2008 HP2 Sport 11,000, 2008 R1200GSA 100,000 (Sold), 1990 R100GSPD 102,000, 1986 K100RS 154,000

Ok, well my leaky shock is on order but hadn't seen a coolant leak....until now after about 1,500 miles. I will take it to the dealer and have them add parts to my order. So it sounds like the consensus for the 14/15 R1200RT is they replace the entire water pump?
    2015 R1200RT - Callisto Grey

I had the pump and seal replaced because this last October and while at was at the dealer today, the tech noticed that it was dribbling out of the weep hole again so they're going to replace the stuff again.

I really don't think it's a huge issue and have a 2000 mile trip planned before the parts arrive and we could schedule the installation.