• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Communication devices

Reel Job

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the UClear Bluetooth ?
Or who recommends what ?
Tired of sign launguage .
Thanks,
Steve/ Reeljob
R1200RT/ 2011
RI ( Ocean State)

Sena seems to be the units of choice but forum show people are having some troubles with the 20s model for "multitasking". I have both the 20 and SMH 10. Have not used the 20s yet so cannot say from first hand experince. Stay with the SMH10 if you go that route. My buddy just got the UClear, has not used them a lot but seems to work great in test scenario. Have read that music can sound a bit "tinny" with the Uclear but voice is good.

Reviews

There are a whole series of detailed reviews on web bike world of a surprising number of bluetooth helmet intercoms. Based on those reviews I bought a Interphone F5MC. I like it and have had no issues using it with a 2014 RT. I was only concerned with GPS/music to my helmet so your needs may point you to other brands. Note that newer units may offer multi brand connectivity and longer range. WBW was a fantastic resource.

I purchased the Uclear 100 Plus last weekend. I only have about 2 1/2 hours on it but am satisfied so far. I use it to listen to music on my cell phone, GPS instructions from the cell phone and for answering calls. I have not actually used it for a phone call while riding. A test call from my wife was clear in both directions. She said there was a small amount of echo but could not define it any further. It may have to do with the speaker alignment. This unit does not use a mic (which I really like) but requires the speakers to be accurately lined up. I just put them in the speaker pockets and didn't use the velcro tabs that were provided so they can be moving around.
Jeff

We love our Nolan N-Com B5. Install in our N-104 helmets was a breeze, as was the firmware update and configuration via either PC or iPad. Sound quality and volume is great and it does everything we need it to.

Annie and I have been using the Sena SMH10 for over 4 years. We use it strictly for bike-to-bike commo and have never even attempted to pair them with other devices. We do not chatter much on the radio and have gotten nearly three full days of life out of them. They, like all Bluetooth devices, are very line-of-sight sensitive and have a range of 1/2 to 3/4 of mile. They are simple to use and there are no wires to deal with. VOX does not work well; it can be activated too easily. We ride in push-to-talk mode most of the time, but will ride in the open-mic mode when in a situation where we are looking for turns or a specific local in an urban area. It can take a couple of seconds to establish an open channel when you push the button to talk while in the push-to-talk mode, so they are not much use about warning your riding partner about hazards. I recommend them.

I would recommend that you think through and prioritize what you want this device to do for you and this list may exclude some of the available options for you or limit you down to just one or two choices.
You did not indicate if this is for rider to pillion or rider to rider or some combination.
If it is rider to rider is it a set single rider or is it a changing list of rider or a group.
Do you want to use your phone or gps with it?
Do you want to stream music, or connect to your motorcycle sound system?
Do the other participants already have devices or needs others than yours that would limit their choice of brand/device?
Do you have multiple helmets that you need to atttach it to?

All prodcuts have limits to how may items each one will pair to.
Some of the 'group' pairing really is not as you might think of a group conversation' as it does not allow the entire group to talk to one another but rather lets you shave 1:1 conversations by rotating amongst group participants. Read the reviews carefully re: this aspect to see if you are geting what it really does, not just what you think it should do.
Some are mono or the speaker quality is so bad it makes them unusable for anything other than than a rider to rider discussion and maybe phone pairing.
What kind of helmet do you wear? Some are not suitable for certian types of helmets.
Most products don't offer ear bud connections so if that is important it may limit your options greatly.
I have read many reviews on may products and few seem to be 'bad', but rather do they have the correct features for what you intend to use it for and can you 'grow' into it.
I have used Scala and Sena products and just moved to a Sena 20s. It was the only one that had the features that I deemed important to me.

Dblank-
Your point is well taken.
I use a Schuberth helmet, my companion has a Nolan.
Primarily I want Sirius radio from cycle
Gps
Phone
And rider to passenger communication, only. No group or other riders.
I like the idea of no mic with the UClear, but never heard of them until the other day.
I'd settle for just satisfactory tunes and the ability to converse.
Steve/ Reeljob

I would recommend that you think through and prioritize what you want this device to do for you and this list may exclude some of the available options for you or limit you down to just one or two choices.
You did not indicate if this is for rider to pillion or rider to rider or some combination.
If it is rider to rider is it a set single rider or is it a changing list of rider or a group.
Do you want to use your phone or gps with it?
Do you want to stream music, or connect to your motorcycle sound system?
Do the other participants already have devices or needs others than yours that would limit their choice of brand/device?
Do you have multiple helmets that you need to atttach it to?

All prodcuts have limits to how may items each one will pair to.
Some of the 'group' pairing really is not as you might think of a group conversation' as it does not allow the entire group to talk to one another but rather lets you shave 1:1 conversations by rotating amongst group participants. Read the reviews carefully re: this aspect to see if you are geting what it really does, not just what you think it should do.
Some are mono or the speaker quality is so bad it makes them unusable for anything other than than a rider to rider discussion and maybe phone pairing.
What kind of helmet do you wear? Some are not suitable for certian types of helmets.
Most products don't offer ear bud connections so if that is important it may limit your options greatly.
I have read many reviews on may products and few seem to be 'bad', but rather do they have the correct features for what you intend to use it for and can you 'grow' into it.
I have used Scala and Sena products and just moved to a Sena 20s. It was the only one that had the features that I deemed important to me.

+1 to all of this...as well as the Sena 20S. Takes a little time and practice, but once you learn it, it is capable of so much!

I know you asked about the UClear but I am throwing out my recent thought process/purchase on my choice of a BT device in case it helps you.
I have the 20s on a schuberth c3 and my buddy has it on the c3 pro.
If you install the corded boom mic under the cheek pads (like on the sena posted install video on youtube) it is less intrusive than my old one and a non-issue to me.
If you have never used one of these motorcycle specific BT products something to know is that it will only let you ‘actively’ use one item at a time (using a priority process). Meaning, if you are conversing via intercom and a call comes in you cannot converse on the intercom again until you hang up the phone. If you are listening to music you cannot converse on the intercom. If your gps makes a direction announcement it will cut out everything (but a higher priority phone connection) until the directions are finished speaking.
This is one reason why I moved ‘up’ to the sena 20s (from a SMH10). It was the only one that allowed for “multi-tasking” (audio overlay from two devices at once). It has significant limitations (e.g. not currently supporting standalone gps voice commands as multi-tasking) but is also great in many ways. I now can listen to music and have a conversation on the intercom. Seems like a small thing but as you indicate “I'd settle for just satisfactory tunes and the ability to converse”, I believe with the other products you would have to settle for satisfactory tunes or the ability to converse.
The other things that made me choose the 20s.
I can use earbuds or the speakers, plugging in earbuds cuts out the speakers so it is simple. Every clamp has the earbud option included
It has an external microphone that you can turn on to hear the ambient sounds. This cuts everything else out but is great for talking to the cashier.
When I buy a new RT :brad with integrated gps I can hear the gps mixed under the music from the bike.
It has easy voice commands.
It has optional music sharing.
Since you are also only looking to converse with a pillion you may consider looking at non-BT communication devices.

DBlank-

It sounds like the Sena 20S is the way to go, after reading the thread, etc.
At $494.10 on Amazon, for two, although not cheap, sounds like the electronic device of choice this year.
I have done without it since my purchase of my new 2011 R1200RT with sat radio, which has fantastic fidelity.
On the Interstate, its not so good, but for safety reasons I have done without it, thus far.
However, communicating with my significant other on rides an half hour or (much) more is important .
Thank-you for your experienced opinions!
Steve/ Reeljob

The SMH10 will do everything you want and us much cheaper. It's only a but bigger than the 20 and works and sounds just as good.

I'd go to the sena website and compare features and it read the web bike world review of both before buying.

I'm running a set of 10's with zero complaints and have done rider to passenger as well as bike to bike communications with zero issues. In highway or off perfectly clear.

I connect my rt sat nav, phone and xml radio to mine.

I recently picked up the new Sean S20 and love it. It does a good job with communications (up to 8 way talk) along with FM Radio, phone and Bluetooth to Baofeng radio if you want to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SMH10 will do everything you want and us much cheaper. It's only a but bigger than the 20 and works and sounds just as good.

+1 for the SMH10. I had Scala G4s for a couple years, constantly had trouble with BT and intercom connections and found it kind of hard to manipulate with gloves. My riding partner never figured out how to operate hers. (Newer Scala models may be a lot better, I don't know.) No problems with the SMH10, sound quality is better, and it's easier to use for basic functions at least (intercom calls, music control). Even my non-tech-savvy partner has figured out you tap the big dial once to talk, turn it for volume, tap again to shut off. I do get confused, however, with which buttons to push how many times for other features, but for my uses (intercom, phone + music + GPS with a Zumo 660, or music direct from the phone), I think it's a great value. I found the best prices on RevZilla - $250 for the pair.

SMH10 -10 or -11???

Question on whether to get -10 or -11

Thinking -11 might allow more mounting options but not sure if there are disadvantages over the -10

I would not disagree with purchasing an SMH10 if it matches ones choice of needs and an allocated expenditure amount. I still have a set and it has been very good.
My 20S purchase was completely "unnecessary" (as are most farkle purchases including the SMH10).
I deemed some new features worthy of using some money on it and I have been happy with it.
As before I would say just about any of the current systems available will do most of what the OP wanted, especially rider to pillion.
My post was not to sell the 20S, just to point out a selection process. I left money out of it as it was not relevant to the first post or any original criteria.
I really liked the SMH10 but found 3 irksome issues with it. These issues are more universal across all the systems so it was not a ding against the SMH10 specifically. This lead me to keeping an eye out for a better solution.

1. even with a modular helmet I often had to turn off the entire system to be able to talk to a driver at a stop light or cashier at a gas stop and still had trouble clearly hearing them.
2. I had to choose between music or intercom (I rarely use the phone and want the music stopped in that instance)
3. My gps or my riding partner's gps always stopped intercom communications at critical maneuver times in order to announce the directions.

The 20s deals with these 3 issues for me to some degree or another while not losing any of the things I loved about the SMH10.
The gps ineruption is still a problem for me and I knew this buying the 20s (unlike some early adapters), but should not be for my riding buddy as his gps is overlayed into the bike sound system. I therefore get some alleviation from this issue and if i stop buying farkles, might be able to purchase a bike with integrated gps too.

If cost prohibits the selection of the 20s or the difference in cost to the SMH10 for these additional features does not equate then the SMH10 is a great alternative.
Or you can go cheaper still and remove even more options...

dagear,
what is an "SMH 11"?

Last edited:
Hmmm..... When I ride I have NO communication devices with me. The vast majority of the area where I enjoy riding ( Ea WA state ) is well beyond the reach of wireless communication. It is such a joy to not have to be dogged by - does it work, am I still within range, why hasn't Joe called me back, etc, etc. One of my greatest pleasures of riding is getting away from the technomarvels of todays world.

Hmmm..... When I ride I have NO communication devices with me. The vast majority of the area where I enjoy riding ( Ea WA state ) is well beyond the reach of wireless communication. It is such a joy to not have to be dogged by - does it work, am I still within range, why hasn't Joe called me back, etc, etc. One of my greatest pleasures of riding is getting away from the technomarvels of todays world.

All of my devices have an "OFF" position and I know how to use it.

It's all about keeping my options open.

Sena FS10R

Sena FS10R - it's smaller and lighter, it's easy to use and you can buy a new (or spare) battery for it. Mine paired to phone and GPS with no problem and works well with both.

You asked about Uclear

Lots of people are sold on Sena and I am sure they are great. I have the older U Clear sets and only use them for talking with my bride on the back of the bike. It works perfect for us. I do not like the boom mike on all the other units. A charge will last all day easily. I forgot to charge them one night and we talked on them all the next day. (It was a short day) One of these days I will sync them with my phone, but I like not being bothered. I would rather concentrate on my riding.

edit: I forgot to mention after about 3 years of use one of the units batteries died. I called the folks at UClear to see if it is possible to change the battery. It is not. However, They sent me a dual set for
$70. They were supposed to be used, but I couldn't tell that they were. I am a happy rider.

Back