• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mounting and removing luggage

tonyo

Figuring out how to mount and remove the BMW panniers from my new 2012 R1200R, I discovered that I cannot remove the mounted one and cannot open the unmounted one with either of the keys. Is there a trick? This is too simple to be frustrated by, and yet…… Any suggestions?

I don't know but have found going to a dealers site (like MAXBMW) and looking at the parts view frequently gives me a hint. On my F8 it's a double lock kinda deal.
OM

Good idea. I've talked with them but not looked at a parts diagram. …Annoying to have one off the other on!

Yes, there is a trick. To open, turn the key to the open position then push down on the key. The wide flat release lever will pop up. To remove rotate the key firmly to the release position and the handle will pop part way up, lift it the rest of the way up and remove the luggage from the bike.

Two assumptions made by me; you have stock factory luggage and 2012 luggage is the same as my 2007.

Make that three assumptions, you have the proper key. If it goes in and turns it is the proper key.

Thanks, Rad. Your assumptions are correct: BMW luggage, locks, and keys. I've followed the manual instructions, which are the same as your suggestions. One side worked a few times, now neither does, and I'm left with one bag on and the other off. It's a mystery, but evidently not a novel one as I've found that there are other owners with the same issue. I'm just hoping that the there's a 'trick' ––besides doing the right thing.

If you look at the bag that is off, you will see a plunger that protrudes from the box that locks it to the frame. Do it off bike a few time until you see what I am talking about. Now look under the mounted bag and find the same plunger. Is it jammed somehow. If the handle moves but that plunger does not, the bag is broken. You can separate the case, but be warned, it is an exercise to put back together, as parts will fall out and some head scratching will commence.
The plunger protrudes and holds the bag against the frame with the weight supported by the two eyes at the top.

I am assuming you have the same mechanism as my RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you look at the bag that is off, you will see a plunger that protrudes from the box that locks it to the frame. Do it off bike a few time until you see what I am talking about. Now look under the mounted bag and find the same plunger. Is it jammed somehow. If the handle moves but that plunger does not, the bag is broken. You can separate the case, but be warned, it is an exercise to put back together, as parts will fall out and some head scratching will commence.
The plunger protrudes and holds the bag against the frame with the weight supported by the two eyes at the top.

I am assuming you have the same mechanism as my RT.

I had to replace both of my tabs when they broke in the accident. It wasn't too bad if you pay close attention when taking them apart.

I didn't do a tutorial, these are photos from a rekey of them.

01Remove-screws.jpg

02Remove-Key-lock1.jpg

03Remove-Key-lock.jpg

04Locking-mechanism.jpg

17Remove-screws.jpg

Jim :brow

I broke one as well, but repaired it with epoxy putty. Seems to work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks !!

Couldn’t get my handle to pop up. “Rotate the key FIRMLY ...” was very helpful. Thanks.

Yes, there is a trick. To open, turn the key to the open position then push down on the key. The wide flat release lever will pop up. To remove rotate the key firmly to the release position and the handle will pop part way up, lift it the rest of the way up and remove the luggage from the bike.

Two assumptions made by me; you have stock factory luggage and 2012 luggage is the same as my 2007.

Make that three assumptions, you have the proper key. If it goes in and turns it is the proper key.

Back