• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Miscategorized Marketplace ads

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Is it just me or is there a lot of items lumped in the MOTORCYCLES area of the Marketplace?

Have not tried to list anything myself so don't know if it's hard to select a category and the default is motorcycles:scratch Parts of a motorcycle and clothing just aren't motorcycles. Maybe if it is a default to M'cycles it can be tweaked by Panjo?

Realize many posting ads NEVER venture over here or post on the forum, thought I'd ask anyway for those that do. I did not post in the Panjo feedback thread as it did not seem to be a software issue...but maybe it is:dunno

Steve -

I see that a lot. I can't speak for all ads that are placed, but I think part of the issue is that what we might see in New Posts for new ads being placed reflect only the limited categories shown in the in-forum listings - Motorcycles for Sale, Accessories/Gear/Parts, Wanted to Buy, Wanted to Trade. Maybe that's not all that different from the categories one gets when placing an ad - Motorcycle, Other Motorcycle, Accessories, Apparel & Gear, Hard Parts, Things to Trade, Things Wanted. So maybe more or less the same given that Accessories/Gear/Parts is shredded out more in the actual Panjo market.

It's probably as you suggest...the people don't much go past the first category when placing their ad. :dunno

I've been recategorizing anything that I see every few days. It is most likely people trying to beat the system. This was/is a problem for eBay too. Sellers trying to take advantage of the category structure to get the most views.

Some of it is education of users, but when you see multiple items miscategorized from long term users and sellers, you have to believe it is manipulation.

I'll keep moving the ones that I see. I have thought about making the category titles clearer, but haven't had a chance to think that all the way through or what it should look like. Another one for the to do list.

Thanks for the info...I have noticed the movement, which could be a full time job it seems:banghead

I've sold a couple of things, and its not difficult to find the proper category and place your item there. I had though it was merely user error or laziness for the wrong category placement, but I agree there are a lot lately.

Drives me nuts! If it doesn't have a serial number recognizable by the department of transportation, IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE! I won't buy anything from anyone who doesn't know the difference between PART(S) of a motorcycle and an actual motorcycle.

Drives me nuts! If it doesn't have a serial number recognizable by the department of transportation, IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE! I won't buy anything from anyone who doesn't know the difference between PART(S) of a motorcycle and an actual motorcycle.

The posters just miss the proper categories when they post. Not a real plot to upset the fate of the Nation.
OM

Just because I'm so mean and nasty, I have to agree with Sedanman - If they're not bright enough to put their ad in the right place, as far as I'm concerned, they're not bright enough to own or maintain a bike, so no way I'd deal with them.

Just because I'm so mean and nasty, I have to agree with Sedanman - If they're not bright enough to put their ad in the right place, as far as I'm concerned, they're not bright enough to own or maintain a bike, so no way I'd deal with them.
If they posted wrong consistently would be one thing.......Most posters are long term members that, due to the Panjo F/M, are making their first posts. As Mods, there is nothing we can do as it's up to Panjo or a Panjo administrator to correct or move the posts.
If you can, welcome them to the forum and help them get squared away.
OM

Back