• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RS Rubber Bar Mount Solution?

DKWrider
With R1150RS now over ten years old. I would expect that some of the rubber handlebar mounts are beginning to get softer and may need to be replaced.

I have read on several forums about companies that used to sell aluminum handlebar mounts for the R1150RS to eliminate the somewhat vague steering feel. Apparently no one does anymore.

MV Verholen makes a clamping device to hold the bars. Does anyone have experience with that?

http://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/MV+Anti+Vibration+Handlebar+Adapter.htm

I have thought about taking mine off and sending to a company that makes polyurethane bushings to see if they might offer these to us. This might be the best solution since rubber bushings in automobile suspension have aftermarket performance upgrades in the form of polyurethane bushings. This would provide a stiffer bar without making it completely rigid by using aluminum. Not sure why aluminum ones were being made when polyurethane seems like a better solution. Making just one might not be possible or too expensive. Would any other RS riders be interested if this option was available?

So, precisely what problem are you attempting to address? Voni's R1100RS was built with rubber in the handlebar mounts in March, 1993 and the mounts still seem sound. Rubber tends to harden with age, not soften, so if any thing the steering ought to be less vague rather than more vague. In any event - what is the steering issue that is a problen on your R1150RS? And, is it worth the $160 Verholen wants to solve whatever the problem is?

I forget if the rubber mounts on the R11RS are similar to the rubber mounts on the K1100LT. If they are take a look at the K bike forum, they show a way to use metal spacers on the underside to stiffen the mounts, or something to that effect. Just an idea, it worked on my k bike but I didn't try it on my oilhead RS.

So, precisely what problem are you attempting to address? Voni's R1100RS was built with rubber in the handlebar mounts in March, 1993 and the mounts still seem sound. Rubber tends to harden with age, not soften, so if any thing the steering ought to be less vague rather than more vague. In any event - what is the steering issue that is a problen on your R1150RS? And, is it worth the $160 Verholen wants to solve whatever the problem is?

Paul, thanks for the input. Of course you are right that what I said about rubber is incorrect. I meant that when the rubber gets old and subjected to the elements, it gets hard and cracks which would make it softer feeling. I doubt that mine are much different than they were when they were installed at the factory. If I still lived in Los Angeles, maybe not. I haven't had a problem with mine other than it makes the steering feel a bit vague when initiating a hard turn and especially when pushing the bike which I have to do to get it out of the garage. On my initial test ride, I really noticed it. It felt like the handlebars were going to fall off, but I am used to it now after a year of ownership. But it is something that I had to get used to. I was just thinking that rubber might not have been the right choice for this part, and that something that was still somewhat pliable might be an improvement over stock and better than completely rigid. It would still serve the initial purpose but provide the rider with a bit more feel.

I rode a '96 RS for thirteen years, and wondered about the "give" in the bars too. At one point, I bought a pair of aluminum pieces that replaced the rubber bits and gave them a try. Feel was indeed a bit more precise, but I was so busy hating the increased vibration to my hands that it didn't matter - I quite quickly went back to stock, and the aluminum pieces went to the Flea Market.

Back