• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle reliability comparison

Ah, wait for the next V1.0 of this motor: the water pump will be an integral part of the motor block. So then you only have to keep one part in stock and not a complete motor AND a complete water pump.

In my younger years we had this joke about Rolls Royce ownership: when the ashtray was full they delivered you a new Rolls. Haha, and not snipping off 75% of your inconvenience money.

/Guenther

Hey Harry - my Toyota dealer told me the same bull - that my Camry's water pump was leaking (it was in for some minor "technical campaign"-type thing & verified no problem)... The service manager advised me of it when I was in to pick up the car, and he offered to make the appointment... I declined, and absolutely scrutinized it when I got home - dry as a bone, and zero issues before or since. Sounds like that's a standard "Gotcha" that they try to pull...

I think you are right. I would have gladly had them swap out the water pump @ 100K or 105K miles, as preventive maintenance. I am left with the strong suspicion I got flim-flammed. So, for the thrill of having me pay for a new water pump and installation 25K miles too soon, I no longer take my car there for inspection and will never buy another car from that dealer: I don't trust them. Toyotas are good cars, but at least some of their dealers are not...

Harry

I have a friend on his 4th water pump on his K1600. It's not uncommon to have a failure or two. I think water pumps are "settled engineering".

I haven't visited any K1600 forums, but my best guess is that 4th water pump (and by extension) one hell of a lot of K1600 water pumps will fail too as long as BMW continues to use that supplier. Think BMW needs a new supplier of this part, probably are suing for their costs, and meanwhile - as usual - it is the customer who bears the pain, inconvenience and probably much of the cost. But I guess people bought K1600's because they were cheap. No?

K1600 water pump issues reminded me...

Honda recommends replacing Pilot water pumps when the cam drive belts are replaced. The rec used to be around 60k miles. My independent mechanic told me that the rec was changed to 90k miles so that is what I went with. 90K miles arrives, I get a new cam belt & new water pump. Ooops! The cam belt tensioner was totally toasted, too.
Heh! At least the Hondapottomus was on the surgeons table when that extra scooby snack was found. RUH RO!!

Since I'm off topic: remember when it used to be "conventional wisdom" that a BMW bike needed about 20K miles to "settle down", quit acting up and get on with business?

I do save Consumer Reports mags. Will be looking up last years bike article to compare exact numbers. Betcha not much change.

Speaking of CU, they have gotten a LOT better in recent years with younger, less boring editors, etc. Still: boy did they get the Pono/High-Resolution digital audio thing wrong. At least they did NOT say: "we couldn't hear the difference through our laptops speakers".

Honda recommends replacing Pilot water pumps when the cam drive belts are replaced. The rec used to be around 60k miles. My independent mechanic told me that the rec was changed to 90k miles so that is what I went with. 90K miles arrives, I get a new cam belt & new water pump. Ooops! The cam belt tensioner was totally toasted, too.
Heh! At least the Hondapottomus was on the surgeons table when that extra scooby snack was found. RUH RO!!

Since I'm off topic: remember when it used to be "conventional wisdom" that a BMW bike needed about 20K miles to "settle down", quit acting up and get on with business?

I do save Consumer Reports mags. Will be looking up last years bike article to compare exact numbers. Betcha not much change.

Speaking of CU, they have gotten a LOT better in recent years with younger, less boring editors, etc. Still: boy did they get the Pono/High-Resolution digital audio thing wrong. At least they did NOT say: "we couldn't hear the difference through our laptops speakers".

In such cases and it's like that with VW, the water pump, idler pulley, belt and certain seals are replaced when the timing belt is done. I had a jetta and the replacement interval was 105K miles. I did it at 102K. Belt still looked good. I replaced everything that needed to be replaced as I didn't want to do the job twice. The nice thing is that the replacement pump had a metal impeller instead of plastic and the kit I got from Blau Parts had everything included. Anyway, the timing belt drives the water pump. If the water pump goes, the timing belt will have to be done again. As far as a leaking water pump on a new bike, it's not de rigueur by any means.

Back