Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Motorcycle reliability comparison

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Urban legends die hard.
    Agreed. Most "stuck gas pedals" are very old people stepping on the wrong pedal and driving into storefronts.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    So BMW owner is $2000 poorer, and complains of high maintenance costs. Ford/Toyota owner buys some oil dry for the occasional drip on the garage floor, and is happy because the car still starts and runs.
    My Toyota dealer told me my water pump was leaking. I never saw any puddles or any sign of leakage. But since water pumps are wear items, I let then replace it. But at only 75K miles, that seemed awfully early, especially for a Toyota. A water pump should last around 125K miles, and replacing @ 100K or so is reasonable.

And what old car doesn't have oil seepage?

Harry

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post

Harry
    Living in the salt zone, I consider oil leaks Automatic rust proofing
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

P Monk

stuck gas pedal

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Urban legends die hard.
    I had a 1966 Ford Fairlaine GTA with a 390 engine. On my way home from work at K Mart one night I floored it as I went by my girlfriends house. The accelerator stuck all the way to the floor. Had to turn off the ignition to stop it.

Anything can happen.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole) Harvey couldn't kill it. . 09 R1200 GS, drowned in Harvey replaced by 2011 R1200RT. Wife, 1953 model survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

Hey Harry - my Toyota dealer told me the same bull - that my Camry's water pump was leaking (it was in for some minor "technical campaign"-type thing & verified no problem)... The service manager advised me of it when I was in to pick up the car, and he offered to make the appointment... I declined, and absolutely scrutinized it when I got home - dry as a bone, and zero issues before or since. Sounds like that's a standard "Gotcha" that they try to pull... let's do the turn signal fluid too...
    Interestingly, while the "name" and brand of this dealer has changed (Manhattan Toyota on PCH), it's the same place that blatantly tried to F me with the warranty on my Ford many years ago; I wrote a detailed nastigram to Ford Inc about that, and they contacted the dealer & told them to pay it the F up.

I have a 16-page PDF from a German engineer back in 2010 that explains how the "sticking" brake pedal folly was a blatant smokescreen for other issues, including software and poor solder + soldering of the electronics.

Good thing I can do this stuff myself - if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    My Toyota dealer told me my water pump was leaking. I never saw any puddles or any sign of leakage. But since water pumps are wear items, I let then replace it. But at only 75K miles, that seemed awfully early, especially for a Toyota. A water pump should last around 125K miles, and replacing @ 100K or so is reasonable.

Harry
    I have a friend on his 4th water pump on his K1600. It's not uncommon to have a failure or two. I think water pumps are "settled engineering".
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Heartbeat of my R100GS Guenther's Avatar
    "4th water pump"

Ah, a so called "Banana Product" = "ripens at the customer side"

I am getting used to that in our high tech world every product I buy is a "Version 1.0".

I think the owner of the K1600 should call himself lucky that BMW did have THREE 'spare' water pumps for his brand new bike.

/Guenther - stuck in airhead world

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I have a friend on his 4th water pump on his K1600. It's not uncommon to have a failure or two. I think water pumps are "settled engineering".
    At my ripe old I can remember water pumps that had a grease fitting
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

But, the cost savings from a lower cost vendor is the foundation of a promising executive career. Thus, the saga is often repeated.....
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    "4th water pump"

Ah, a so called "Banana Product" = "ripens at the customer side"

I am getting used to that in our high tech world every product I buy is a "Version 1.0".

I think the owner of the K1600 should call himself lucky that BMW did have THREE 'spare' water pumps for his brand new bike.

/Guenther - stuck in airhead world
    Actually they didn't on the last one. He got stranded in Austin and had to fly home because the dealer didn't have a pump and it had to be ordered from Germany. BMW even gypped him out of some money for the roadside assistance. Between the flights and R&B, I don't think they covered 25% of it.
    My Motorrad

Heartbeat of my R100GS Guenther's Avatar
    Ah, wait for the next V1.0 of this motor: the water pump will be an integral part of the motor block. So then you only have to keep one part in stock and not a complete motor AND a complete water pump.

In my younger years we had this joke about Rolls Royce ownership: when the ashtray was full they delivered you a new Rolls. Haha, and not snipping off 75% of your inconvenience money.

/Guenther

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Hey Harry - my Toyota dealer told me the same bull - that my Camry's water pump was leaking (it was in for some minor "technical campaign"-type thing & verified no problem)... The service manager advised me of it when I was in to pick up the car, and he offered to make the appointment... I declined, and absolutely scrutinized it when I got home - dry as a bone, and zero issues before or since. Sounds like that's a standard "Gotcha" that they try to pull...
    I think you are right. I would have gladly had them swap out the water pump @ 100K or 105K miles, as preventive maintenance. I am left with the strong suspicion I got flim-flammed. So, for the thrill of having me pay for a new water pump and installation 25K miles too soon, I no longer take my car there for inspection and will never buy another car from that dealer: I don't trust them. Toyotas are good cars, but at least some of their dealers are not...

Harry

I haven't visited any K1600 forums, but my best guess is that 4th water pump (and by extension) one hell of a lot of K1600 water pumps will fail too as long as BMW continues to use that supplier. Think BMW needs a new supplier of this part, probably are suing for their costs, and meanwhile - as usual - it is the customer who bears the pain, inconvenience and probably much of the cost. But I guess people bought K1600's because they were cheap. No?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

K1600 water pump issues reminded me...

Honda recommends replacing Pilot water pumps when the cam drive belts are replaced. The rec used to be around 60k miles. My independent mechanic told me that the rec was changed to 90k miles so that is what I went with. 90K miles arrives, I get a new cam belt & new water pump. Ooops! The cam belt tensioner was totally toasted, too.
    Heh! At least the Hondapottomus was on the surgeons table when that extra scooby snack was found. RUH RO!!

Since I'm off topic: remember when it used to be "conventional wisdom" that a BMW bike needed about 20K miles to "settle down", quit acting up and get on with business?

I do save Consumer Reports mags. Will be looking up last years bike article to compare exact numbers. Betcha not much change.

Speaking of CU, they have gotten a LOT better in recent years with younger, less boring editors, etc. Still: boy did they get the Pono/High-Resolution digital audio thing wrong. At least they did NOT say: "we couldn't hear the difference through our laptops speakers".

Quote Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
    Honda recommends replacing Pilot water pumps when the cam drive belts are replaced. The rec used to be around 60k miles. My independent mechanic told me that the rec was changed to 90k miles so that is what I went with. 90K miles arrives, I get a new cam belt & new water pump. Ooops! The cam belt tensioner was totally toasted, too.
    Heh! At least the Hondapottomus was on the surgeons table when that extra scooby snack was found. RUH RO!!

Since I'm off topic: remember when it used to be "conventional wisdom" that a BMW bike needed about 20K miles to "settle down", quit acting up and get on with business?

I do save Consumer Reports mags. Will be looking up last years bike article to compare exact numbers. Betcha not much change.

Speaking of CU, they have gotten a LOT better in recent years with younger, less boring editors, etc. Still: boy did they get the Pono/High-Resolution digital audio thing wrong. At least they did NOT say: "we couldn't hear the difference through our laptops speakers".
    In such cases and it's like that with VW, the water pump, idler pulley, belt and certain seals are replaced when the timing belt is done. I had a jetta and the replacement interval was 105K miles. I did it at 102K. Belt still looked good. I replaced everything that needed to be replaced as I didn't want to do the job twice. The nice thing is that the replacement pump had a metal impeller instead of plastic and the kit I got from Blau Parts had everything included. Anyway, the timing belt drives the water pump. If the water pump goes, the timing belt will have to be done again. As far as a leaking water pump on a new bike, it's not de rigueur by any means.
    My Motorrad