• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Central Florida to Grand Canyon and back

mikegalbicka

Back in the saddle again
The wife and I will be taking our first two week trip on our 07RT and welcome any route suggestions. We prefer back roads and have done a few one week trips with no problems since getting this bike last August. We expect our RDL saddles to allow 8 hour days with little discomfort. The first look at the map has us wondering about taking 84 out and 82 back. Will probably stop at Carlsbad Caverns also. Saw it as a kid while dad was stationed at Ft Bliss but the wife hasn't and neither one of us has been to the Canyon before.

Last edited:
As you will be in New Mexico, don't miss US 191 (formerly US 666). Starts in Morenci AZ at the world's largest open pit copper mine and runs 100 miles through the White Mountains up to Alpine AZ. Very twisty. Less twisty, but still pretty nice is US 180 up western New Mexico. Silver City NM to Alpine.

Then US 60, US 260, AZ 87 and Lake Mary Road (CR3, FH3) to Flagstaff. US 180 goes from Flagstaff to the South Rim. North Rim is closed until May 15.

Tire inspection

Running PR3's currently. What is the best way to determine whether they will get me through this trip or not? I haven't been measuring them consistently to get an idea of how quick they are wearing.

Tires

It's just me, but I always change my tires before my annual big trip. Nothing feels better on a bike than new tires. If there's tread left on the old ones, save them, put them on again. If you have time, head north through NM to the Eagle's Nest area and then head back east. I'll be headed west from the Titusville area May 7 myself. Have a great trip.

It's just me, but I always change my tires before my annual big trip. Nothing feels better on a bike than new tires. If there's tread left on the old ones, save them, put them on again. If you have time, head north through NM to the Eagle's Nest area and then head back east. I'll be headed west from the Titusville area May 7 myself. Have a great trip.

Thanks for the tips. Have a great ride yourself.

Depending on just how far south you want to get on one leg or the other....the "Twisted Sisters" or "Three Sisters" (SR 335,336, & 337) about 45 miles west of San Antonio is quite fun. It's about 130 miles if you do the entire loop and 16 getting to it isn't bad either. When done, get back on 16 for the hour ride up to Fredericksburg for the night. Museums, German food, wineries and not far from Luckenbach if you want to check that off the list while you're at it. If you have too much fun and stay longer than anticipated, you can make up time taking I-10W; once out past Kerrville a ways, it's 80mph speed limits to El Paso (just stay under 90 and the state troopers will leave you alone).

Depending on just how far south you want to get on one leg or the other....the "Twisted Sisters" or "Three Sisters" (SR 335,336, & 337) about 45 miles west of San Antonio is quite fun. It's about 130 miles if you do the entire loop and 16 getting to it isn't bad either. When done, get back on 16 for the hour ride up to Fredericksburg for the night. Museums, German food, wineries and not far from Luckenbach if you want to check that off the list while you're at it. If you have too much fun and stay longer than anticipated, you can make up time taking I-10W; once out past Kerrville a ways, it's 80mph speed limits to El Paso (just stay under 90 and the state troopers will leave you alone).

Thanks for the tips. Will check them out. Wife doesn't do interstates though so that isn't an option.

Nothing personal of course but you may be disappointed with that Grand Canyon. All it is is a big hole in the ground, and it's usually too crowded.
I would recommend southern Utah, but I'll be happy to keep that secret for just my riding pleasure.
As to caverns, I think you might try Kartchner Caverns in AZ. A little more natural authenticity.
It's near Tombstone, which is sort of a tourist set up. But a lot of people go there.
dc

There is something important to remember about interstates. No cross traffic.
One thing that kills a lot of motorcyclists is cross traffic. As well as left turns, and crossing the center line.
So, for bulk, no other nice road areas, interstate.
If there is a nice curvy, mountainous, woodsy area road, yes.
But if it's flat, straight, boring, with bad and uneven pavement, and cars pulling out of stores, and bars, and the such like, maybe ...
The idea is to get there, alive, and ride the good stuff.
dc

Back