• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200GS VS Custom Built Harley

kskraye

I stopped by a buddy's place today. He has always talked about how fast his custom built Harley is. He said he was going to take it down the road and air it out and he ask me if I wanted to tag along. When we hit a long strait, he pulled into the left lane, I eased up beside him. I will not have to hear about how fast that Harley is anymore.

It still may be fast relative to other bikes in its class, no? Guess he should sell that bike he seemingly is as proud of as you are with yours and buy a GS, until that is blown away by an R1???

Some folks like to make hot rods out of old cars. For old cars they are neat and kind of fast. But they are not modern cars.

Some folks like to make hot rods out of old cars. For old cars they are neat and kind of fast. But they are not modern cars.

Guilty as charged. I'm building a 79 Mustang that will end up costing me more than a nice brand new one which would have more horsepower. I do expect the performance to be close and the handling better but only due to the cars light weight and the racing suspension under the 79. It will not ride as nice as a new car though, nor be anything resembling comfortable. I do expect it will be fun to drive and race.

Nothing wrong with your buddy's bike if its what he likes, but sometimes perceptions are skewed by the investment into a machine and or unrealistic expectations.

Don't get me wrong, he has a very nice bike and I did not even in the least rub it in. But when we got back to his place he was on his hands and knees looking that GS over. I guess that was giving it a little respect.

I have an 09 Street Glide with Stage 1 and a 13 stock RT. It's no comparison...even tricked up a bit, the HD just flat poops out between 95-100. The RTs been over 110 with room left in the throttle. In the market for a new GSA, only decision is to add it to the others or ditch the HD. Leaning to getting rid of the HD. Put 14000 miles on the RT last year and only 2500 on the HD, so might as well give it the boot.

If we all limited ourselves to doing things that are reasonable, prudent, responsible, intelligent and safe, then I doubt this forum would exist.

just thought I would share a quote, I read in Cycle world, some time ago, " if you are not on a track, nobody cares who is faster except the judge, and the arresting officer". ride your own ride. :)

I had a Harley Road King Classic up until 2 years ago. They feel like they are going faster because they pull you from the handlebars rather than pushing you from the seat. They are fast compared to my R1200GS like my bike is to a Hayabusa. :)

If we all limited ourselves to doing things that are reasonable, prudent, responsible, intelligent and safe, then I doubt this forum would exist.

Those sound like attributes of a mature adult. :dunno

But, like you, I'm doing my best to make sure the forum exists. :thumb:wave

YMMV:dance

Back