• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200 GS wethead tires recommendation

peterr1200

Hello there ))
Hey I need a little help with Choosing the new tires for my gs,
Before the adventure motorcycle i been riding sport touring motorcycle (honda st1300) very heavy motorcycle
I've always been purchasing Michelin pilot road.
But now I'm looking for a little bit more then just road tire I want to have the option to be able to ride fire roads nothing crazy))

currently I have Michelin Anakee 3 I'm able to do 7000 miles On those tires if I could get more mileage than that will be nice
Thank you

Anakee 3's have been the best 90/10 tire for wear I have used to date. Have a set of Tourance Next that will go on for a trip to the Smokey's in a couple weeks. After the trip , in a month, I should be able to report on them.

My go to tires on previous GS/GSA were Anakee 2's so when my 2014 GSA showed up with Anakee 3's I was pleased, but not for long. By 3k the rear had flattened beyond any tire in recent memory, at 4,800 miles the bike handled so poorly I was glad it was down to the wear bars. The front was still decent probably good for another 2K or so but I replaced both with Conti TA2's. These did not square off and maintained their neutral handling for over 6K when I replaced them (with tread remaining) with another set for my ride to the National last year. I haven't tried Metzeler Next but I'm so satisfied with TA2's my next set will be Conti's.

I would recommend the Metzler Tourance for street and fire road use. I live in the eastern US and got 10K from the rear and 12K from the front. Have used the Tourance for years and have always had good luck. Inflation 42 PSI front and rear for best wear. Have used the Tourance NEXT but, didn't get the mileage
like the standard Tourance.

Back