• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need help to get around snow in Siskiyou pass!

esachs

Hi,

I'm in Medford OR and need to get home to Southern California tomorrow. Problem is, there is a huge weather system that's going to dump several inches of snow in the Siskiyou pass tomorrow (Mt. Shasta area). Does anyone know an alternate rout around that area and around the storm?

I'm trying to leave tomorrow morning (Sunday 4/5).

Thank you!

Sorry, but at that location this evening, your most likely chance of success is to keep riding tonight...at least as far as Redding. That Siskiyou summit can get a LOT of snow if it's really coming in...

Even just getting to Dunsmuir would be useful, that few miles around the Summit can get quite nasty in a hurry...

Medford to K Falls is a little lower, but not enough, especially if you need to be home tomorrow. Another alternate is to go back north to Grants Pass and then over to the coast, but that's a lot of miles.

Good luck!

Got it

Sorry, but at that location this evening, your most likely chance of success is to keep riding tonight...at least as far as Redding. That Siskiyou summit can get a LOT of snow if it's really coming in...

Even just getting to Dunsmuir would be useful, that few miles around the Summit can get quite nasty in a hurry...

Medford to K Falls is a little lower, but not enough, especially if you need to be home tomorrow. Another alternate is to go back north to Grants Pass and then over to the coast, but that's a lot of miles.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I'm leaving my bike at a friend's house and flying home. Hate to leave my bike behind but it will give me an excuse to come back out to OR and ride it home next weekend!

Creative solution!

Won't be long hopefully before you can retrieve your ride! Weather can be a real problem. When I got my current ride from a gent in Louisville in April 2008, expected a direct ride back to Seattle area. Ended up detouring through Texas! LOL. It was a great ride...

With more time, there are MANY scenic fun roads to explore in NorCal on your way home.

Cheers! BJ

Ran into the same problem a few years ago.
My son and I were riding to Branson, Mo. about this time of year.
We hit snow in Gallop, NM. We were on a time schedule and had to be in Branson on a certain day.
Went by a auto parts store and bought some tie downs.
Rented a U Haul truck and loaded the bikes in it.
We drove through the storm, which turned into blizzard conditions.
Spent the night in Lubbock, Tx. In the morning we turned in the truck and continued on the bikes.

Update

Hi,

I'm in Medford OR and need to get home to Southern California tomorrow. Problem is, there is a huge weather system that's going to dump several inches of snow in the Siskiyou pass tomorrow (Mt. Shasta area). Does anyone know an alternate rout around that area and around the storm?

I'm trying to leave tomorrow morning (Sunday 4/5).

Thank you!

So I ended up leaving my bike at a family member's house in Medford OR and taking a flight home to CA. I hated leaving my bike but wasn't sure what else to do. My plan now is to fly back to Medford this Friday and ride my bike back home to CA. I just need the weather to cooperate!

You know, I've seen Youtube videos of people riding my bike (R12000GS Adventure) through snow. I'm wondering if I'm just being a bit of a pussy you know? Like maybe I should have just gone for it! They were requiring chains though and I don't think I can put chains on my bike!

So I ended up leaving my bike at a family member's house in Medford OR and taking a flight home to CA. I hated leaving my bike but wasn't sure what else to do. My plan now is to fly back to Medford this Friday and ride my bike back home to CA. I just need the weather to cooperate!

You know, I've seen Youtube videos of people riding my bike (R12000GS Adventure) through snow. I'm wondering if I'm just being a bit of a pussy you know? Like maybe I should have just gone for it! They were requiring chains though and I don't think I can put chains on my bike!

"Deceased father of four" is not a phrase one wants to read. You did the smart and responsible thing.:thumb Don't waste any more energy obsessing about it.

My plan now is to fly back to Medford this Friday and ride my bike back home to CA. I just need the weather to cooperate!

There calling for low 70s in Redding Friday and Saturday which means upper 50s over the pass. It'll be a good ride. :dance

I saw your post a little too late, but heading to the coast would have got you around the snow. It would have been a long wet day in the saddle.

John

Back