• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need Help with the Throttle Synch Cables 2012 R1200RT

wvpc

P1020757.jpg

Need HELP! with the R side Throttle Bowden Cable.

I performed my 30K mile service without a hitch until attempting the Throttle Body Synch.

I touched only the right side cable. It seems as though the top adjuster no longer engages the threaded shaft that the bottom adjuster spins on. The top adjuster spins in either direction without engaging the threaded shaft.

How can I get the top adjuster to engage the threaded shaft? Is there anyone local who can help? I am in Ypsi, Michigan.

View attachment 49276

Need HELP! with the R side Throttle Bowden Cable.

I performed my 30K mile service without a hitch until attempting the Throttle Body Synch.

I touched only the right side cable. It seems as though the top adjuster no longer engages the threaded shaft that the bottom adjuster spins on. The top adjuster spins in either direction without engaging the threaded shaft.

How can I get the top adjuster to engage the threaded shaft? Is there anyone local who can help? I am in Ypsi, Michigan.

PM me your email addy and i will send the instructions for replacing the right side cable...

wyman

So others can see:

Cable%20inst%201.jpg

Cable%20inst%203.jpg

Cable%20inst%202.jpg

Jim :brow

What isn't shown in those instructions (the REP-ROM assumes lots of things are "obvious" to trained mechanics) is - to get the cover off the throttle-body, it's first required that the throttle body be removed from the cylinder/air-box. Doing this isn't a terrible job IF you have the correct special pliers used to release and reinstall the tension-bands used to hold the rubber bits to the hard bits. I do suggest trying to bodge this will be a bad move and ultimately expensive. The tool looks like the mouth of Ollie from Kukla, Fran and Ollie (am I showing my age?) - with two opposing teeth that go into raised bits on the bands allowing you to remove, and then install the bands.

I seem to recall finding mine on Amazon.. Lisle CV BOOT CLAMP PLIERS FOR EARLESS TYPE C - LIS30500 - http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30500-B...=1-1&keywords=Lisle+30500+CV+Boot+Clamp+Plier

$18 - worth every penny. These are the same pliers that my friendly local official BMW dealer's mechanic's use. I asked them before I purchased them. Probably also available at NAPA auto-parts stores (might have to be ordered) as these are commonly used on CV joint bands on GM cars.

31GU2WI-D1L.jpg

Two other comments..

- This sort of failure is typically caused by tightening the lock nut on the cable adjuster too much. Doing this actually pulls the threads apart.

- I've never had to actually adjust my TB's. That's with 87,000 miles on them now. Once the valve adjustment is done correctly - the throttle bodies fall right into sync. And you may want to read the DIY thread on doing the adjustment - it is NOT done at idle. Doing it at idle is going to be very non-productive.

Good luck! PITA to get to the junction box on an RT (it's almost right out in the open on a Roadster..) Plus if you have cruise-control, there will be another cable going to the junction (Bowden) box for the cruising control.

Last edited:
$18 - worth every penny. These are the same pliers that my friendly local official BMW dealer's mechanic's use. I asked them before I purchased them. Probably also available at NAPA auto-parts stores (might have to be ordered) as these are commonly used on CV joint bands on GM cars.

31GU2WI-D1L.jpg

it TOTALLY is.

I used some pliers/vice grips the first time around when i was trying to get access to a cam-chain tensioner bolt; had to move the throttle bodies.

what a PITA.

first time i had just torqued to handtight (the tensioner bolt), but later i wanted to torque to spec cuz i got all self concious; second time had tool purchased above to remove the clamps. So much easier.

it TOTALLY is.

I used some pliers/vice grips the first time around when i was trying to get access to a cam-chain tensioner bolt; had to move the throttle bodies.

what a PITA.

first time i had just torqued to handtight (the tensioner bolt), but later i wanted to torque to spec cuz i got all self concious; second time had tool purchased above to remove the clamps. So much easier.
I had to use mine last weekend - helping out a local club member who had a loose port side chain tensioner housing (leaking oil).. used them for exactly the same reason - removed the TB, and there was room to get the head of my torque wrench and a 14mm socket in to tighten the housing. Using the right tools - it was a 10 minute job. Using some bodge sort of tool - probably would have damaged one of the bands, meaning the friend wouldn't be able to ride the bike home until we found him a new one. Bet the new band from BMW costs a significant portion of the cost of the tool.

If you're gonna do work on your bike - there are some tools it simply is worth having. For a modern BMW - this is one of those tools.

What isn't shown in those instructions (the REP-ROM assumes lots of things are "obvious" to trained mechanics) is - to get the cover off the throttle-body, it's first required that the throttle body be removed from the cylinder/air-box. Doing this isn't a terrible job IF you have the correct special pliers used to release and reinstall the tension-bands used to hold the rubber bits to the hard bits. I do suggest trying to bodge this will be a bad move and ultimately expensive. The tool looks like the mouth of Ollie from Kukla, Fran and Ollie (am I showing my age?) - with two opposing teeth that go into raised bits on the bands allowing you to remove, and then install the bands.

I seem to recall finding mine on Amazon.. Lisle CV BOOT CLAMP PLIERS FOR EARLESS TYPE C - LIS30500 - http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30500-B...=1-1&keywords=Lisle+30500+CV+Boot+Clamp+Plier

31GU2WI-D1L.jpg

Two other comments..

- This sort of failure is typically caused by tightening the lock nut on the cable adjuster too much. Doing this actually pulls the threads apart.

- I've never had to actually adjust my TB's. That's with 87,000 miles on them now. Once the valve adjustment is done correctly - the throttle bodies fall right into sync. And you may want to read the DIY thread on doing the adjustment - it is NOT done at idle. Doing it at idle is going to be very non-productive.

Good luck! PITA to get to the junction box on an RT (it's almost right out in the open on a Roadster..) Plus if you have cruise-control, there will be another cable going to the junction (Bowden) box for the cruising control.

When I replaced my throttle bodies, I used the tool below. Worked like a charm. None of the auto parts stores carried them, so I ordered off eBay or Amazon, I can't remember.

41TQsdmiw4L._SX300_.jpg

When I replaced my throttle bodies, I used the tool below. Worked like a charm. None of the auto parts stores carried them, so I ordered off eBay or Amazon, I can't remember.

View attachment 49314
Very similar tool, but about 2x the price of the Lisle. It has parallelogram jaws, but I actually don't see the real need for them in this application. Nice tool, but.. and Amazon carries it.

back at ya...

let me know if you need any more instruction PDFs....

wman

Well wman since you asked......If you could forward the fuel tank removal portion on the REP/RPOM that would be highly appreciated.

And thank you agin in advance:wave

31GU2WI-D1L.jpg

Two other comments..

FWIW, when I experienced the same problem with the adjuster I was able to replace the right Bowden cable without moving/removing the throttle body. Having this tool certainly would have made the disconnecting/reconnecting the cable at the pulley a bit easier though.

Back