Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1983 R100RS Rebuild Project Journal

Quote Originally Posted by jad01 View Post
    Neat work, Brook! My '84 looks almost identical to yours… just had the heads serviced by Ted Porter last year (who did excellent work and I highly recommend for such service). Maybe when you're done practicing on yours, I can send you mine to finish the restoration…

Hi Jim,

When I pull the heads, I'm hoping they have already been serviced as this bike has 83,000+ miles. The valve seats in 1983 didn't last much more than 50,000 before a head rebuild was needed. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that these heads have been rebuilt and when I check them, they are in good shape. Time will tell. In the past, I've had mine done by Randy Long who is the go-to-guy for many shops who offer head rebuild services; they send them on to Randy who has built up a loyal following over the years.

From your signature block, it sounds like you split time between Houston, TX and Portland, OR so metropolitan Denver where I live is in between. I'm not opposed to completing a rebuild/restore if you would like. I get in less trouble when I'm working in the shop :-)

Best.
    Brook.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2004 R1150-RS||2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

Bing's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tyro View Post
    I look forward to following your progress. Right off, I have two related questions.

1) What kind of windscreen is on the bike? It looks about half the size of the one on my R80RT. It looks like there would be correspondingly less wind resistance.

2) Regarding the carburetor rebuild, I saw that Bing sells an instructional DVD along with its rebuild kits. Does anyone think it's any good / worth the money?
    My experience with Bing International is that they are a top gun outfit. I had them rebuild 2 sets of carbs for me at different times. The price was fair and once dialed in I never had a problem with either set. Regardless of whether you rebuild yourself or have them rebuilt, go with the new plastic floats. The bike itself is a great machine to begin with and done right a great mile eater.

Best,

Will

Quote Originally Posted by brook.reams View Post
    Hi Jim,

When I pull the heads, I'm hoping they have already been serviced as this bike has 83,000+ miles. The valve seats in 1983 didn't last much more than 50,000 before a head rebuild was needed. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that these heads have been rebuilt and when I check them, they are in good shape. Time will tell. In the past, I've had mine done by Randy Long who is the go-to-guy for many shops who offer head rebuild services; they send them on to Randy who has built up a loyal following over the years.

From your signature block, it sounds like you split time between Houston, TX and Portland, OR so metropolitan Denver where I live is in between. I'm not opposed to completing a rebuild/restore if you would like. I get in less trouble when I'm working in the shop :-)

Best.
    Brook.
    Hi Brook,
    My RS had almost exactly 83K when I pulled it apart- the heads had never been off of it according to the PO. The valves had receded substantively (see pic), but thankfully they hadn't broken! Ted did the full workup (valves, seats, guides, etc), so it should outlast me at this point…

I'm still trying to determine if I'm diggin' the RS experience before I tear into it fully. It's actually in pretty good shape and complete, but could use paint (it's the same color blue as yours, coincidentally) and a few small details attended to. But I may just take you up on that one summer on my way to Oregon!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by jad01 View Post
    Hi Brook,
    My RS had almost exactly 83K when I pulled it apart- the heads had never been off of it according to the PO. The valves had receded substantively (see pic), but thankfully they hadn't broken! Ted did the full workup (valves, seats, guides, etc), so it should outlast me at this point…

I'm still trying to determine if I'm diggin' the RS experience before I tear into it fully. It's actually in pretty good shape and complete, but could use paint (it's the same color blue as yours, coincidentally) and a few small details attended to. But I may just take you up on that one summer on my way to Oregon!
    Jim,

Oh my, that is indeed a valve in need of retirement. !!!

Mine is certainly in need of paint work as there are a lot of stone chips on the fairing and front fender and the gas tank paint has eroded around the gas cap and is missing entirely where the rear of the tank touches the seat.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brook-...57650334262247

So far, I've enjoyed the 200 miles I've put on the bike. The riding position hasn't been hard on my wrists or back. I'm planning on riding it on a 400 mile weekend camp out in August so I'll get a chance to put more hours in the saddle and see how I feel after that.

Feel free to connect with me on one of your migrations and we can get together.

Best.
    Brook.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere

Jim,

Mine is certainly in need of paint work...I'll get a chance to put more hours in the saddle and see how I feel after that.
    I had a full mechanical restoration done on my former bike, but decided to leave the cosmetics the way they were, as it was my only bike, I did a lot of touring on it, and didn't want to worry about the paint.

Funny thing was, when my tech pulled the heads, one of the valves was on the verge of being swallowed up, too.
    Last edited by Rinty; 07-30-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    Rinty

Solid Diode Board Mount Kit From Euro Motoelectrics
    Solid Diode Board Mount Kit From Euro Motoelectrics
    I see in this month's News that Matt Parkhouse likes using these too.
    Rinty

Nice pieces there...

If Matt thinks they are a good idea, I would be inclined to get a set.

Best,

Will

Yep, the 2 things that kill a diode board is bad or no grounding and heat. I see Brook has the well ventilated front fairing cover in front of the engine block.

1983 R100RS Rebuild Project Journal: Diagnose Intermittent Low Oil Pressure Light

I've written about the journey of how I isolated problems in the oil system of this bike when my low oil pressure light came on. You can read about it here:

I diagnosed and fixed a couple problems in the engine oil system. But I'm not absolutely certain I have found the problem causing the low oil pressure light to come on. I've ruled out failures in the engine oil system and am convinced the oil pump is working properly, the engine oil passages are not blocked, the oil seals are not leaking, the oil pickup and screen are okay and the oil level is correct.

The electrical circuit is now the most likely reason for the itermittent low oil pressure light coming on. The last thing I replaced is the oil pressure sender switch even though when I originally tested it, it worked. But, it's the next most likely component to have a problem due to its mechanical action. Here's a short video of the insides of that switch.

What's Inside the Oil Pressure Sender --> https://flic.kr/p/xEGU21

Until I ride a couple hundred miles, I won't draw a final conclusion about having fixing the problem.

Here are a couple pictures from the write-up. I also took a couple videos of test procedures and the inside of the oil pressure sender switch.

Distance to Measure From Edge of Filter Can to Top of Engine Block
    Distance to Measure From Edge of Filter Can to Top of Engine Block

Vernier Caliper Reading 3.82 mm Canister Depth
    Vernier Caliper Reading 3.82 mm Canister Depth=

Cutting Filter Paper Cylinder From Metal End
    Cutting Filter Paper Cylinder From Metal End

Bright Metal Particles
    Bright Metal Particles

High Pressure By-pass Valve Parts-Mangled and Bent
    High Pressure By-pass Valve Parts-Mangled and Bent

Fishing Ball Bearing Into Hole
    Fishing Ball Bearing Into Hole

White ($2,000 O-ring) Installed in Filter Cover
    White ($2,000 O-ring) Installed in Filter Cover

Attaching Oil Test Gauge to Instrument Cluster
    Attaching Oil Test Gauge to Instrument Cluster

Best.
    Brook Reams
    Last edited by brook.reams; 08-24-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere

Good sleuthing, Brook.
    Rinty

1983 R100RS Project Restart -> R100RS/T Build

Folks,

It's been awhile since I posted anything on this project, but I got distracted with my 1977 R100RS restore and some other things.

So, it's now March 1, 2019 and I'm ready to restart the build on the 1983 RS. But, I changed the direction from restoring it to doing a resto-mod making it into an RT. I have taken to calling this an R100RS/T build project.

I revised my original build plan to reflect this new end state and added a video walk-around of the beginning condition of the bike.

It's a whole lot cleaner than when I brought it home in 2015, but I plan to make a number of modifications to improve it beyond the conversion from an RS to an RT as documented in the updated build plan you can find here.

And, I'll continue to update the project index as I go which you can find here,

So, stay tuned.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere

Terence
    Current rides R75/5 R100RS R1150RT
    Past rides K100RS R1100S
    My Smugmug

I agree!
    Current rides: '76 R90S, '78 R100RS Motorsport, 07 Kawasaki ZX-14... and '65 427SC Shelby Cobra... does not play well with the two wheelers

Smile Tank, Seat, Fairing Removal Completed

Folks,

Due to the blizzard in Denver yesterday, I had time to finish up some documentation on the project so far and post it to my site. The focus has been on the fairing disassembly and a catalog of the fairing mounting hardware and where it goes. I found existing parts fiche aren't very helpful about what fasteners go where.

Here is a link to two new publications.

52 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Seat and Seat Cowling
    46 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Fairing, Dash, Volt Meter, Clock, Ignition Switch

I included a couple videos, one of which shows details of how all the fairing panels are connected.

Here is what the project looks like so far.

IMG_2666.JPG

And the stack of boxes I use to organize parts, which will grow as I get down to the frame. :-)

IMG_2667.JPG

I hope his is helpful.

Best.
    Brook Reams.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere

Rear Fender Assembly Removal

I'm making progress on getting to where I can remove the electrical system. I finished taking off, and taking apart, the rear fender assembly that includes the license plate bracket with side reflectors, tail light housing, turn signals and stalk, the cowling tool box and the rear wiring sub-harness.

You can see what I found and how I did the work here.

Rear Tail Light, & Turn Signal Assembly, License Plate Bracket & Rubber Mud Flap
    Rear Tail Light, & Turn Signal Assembly, License Plate Bracket & Rubber Mud Flap

Tail Light Reflector Wiring Detail
    Tail Light Reflector Wiring Detail

Rear Wiring Sub-Harness Plug Location
    Rear Wiring Sub-Harness Plug Location

Rear Fender Assembly Removed
    Rear Fender Assembly Removed
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere