Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: 1983 R100RS Rebuild Project Journal

1983 R100RS Break-in And Shake Down Log & Reupholstered Seat

My experience with my builds is that as I break-in the motor I also will find various issues I have to fix and adjustments I need to make. This is the log of what I did for the first 600 miles riding the bike during the break-in and shake down period.

--> 00 BMW 1983 R100RS->RT Break-In And Shake Down Log

I also got the seat reupholstered and custom fit and a back rest made by a local Denver area seat builder, Bitchn Stichn. It came out fabulously. I took some pictures of the work they did and wrote up a short summary of how they did the work.

--> 52 BMW 1983 R100RS Reupholster Seat & Add Back Rest

Original Seat Cover Has A Tear
    Original Seat Cover Has A Tear And Maybe Water Damage To The Foam

Finished Seat And Seat Back Mounted On Cookie Monster

Finished Seat Has A More Comfortable Shape With Better Leg Support
    Finished Seat Has A More Comfortable Shape With Better Leg Support

Finished Seat Back And Rear Luggage Rack
    Finished Seat Back And Rear Luggage Rack
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    Endeavor to Persevere || Brook's Airhead Garage-Amature Rebuild Projects
    2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

impressive, from start to finish, impressive (to say the least) !

1983 R100RS Installing Electric Accessories & Farkles

The word "farkles" refers to add-ons and upgrades. I'm adding the following to the electrical system.

• Eastern Beaver PC-8 Auxiliary Fuse Box And Circuits. I installed the Eastern Beaver PC-8 Auxiliary Fuse Box. This provides eight independent circuits, six fused and two non-fused direct to the battery. This eliminates a nest of wires, fuses and relays when I add the various electrical accessories. All the fuses are in one box and one relay switches power on to the six fused circuits.

Eastern Beaver Wiring Harness
    Eastern Beaver Wiring Harness

Eastern Beaver PC-8 Auxiliary Fuse Box Components
    Eastern Beaver PC-8 Auxiliary Fuse Box Components

• Heated Grips With 1988+ Wiring. I have the pre-1988 heated grips. The switch for them is no longer available so I will install the later (1988+) two position switch and new wiring between the switch and the heated grip pigtails. The wiring sub-harness contains a resistor inside that provides LOW/HIGH heating in the grips.

• 61 31 1 459 234 SWITCH, HEATED HANDLEBAR GRIPS L=700MM
      61 12 1 459 263 WIRING HEATED HANDLES (Sub-harness)

The switch is smaller than the rectangular holes in the dashboard so I fabricated an adapter to hold the switch out of the plug used to fill the empty hole (part# 32 71 1 236 886).

Dashboard Rectangular Blank Hole Plug
      Dashboard Rectangular Blank Hole Plug

High-Off-Low Switch Installed In Dash
      High-Off-Low Switch Installed In Dash

• Auxiliary LED Lights. To increase my visibility I add two spot bean 900 lumen LED auxiliary lights from Super Bright LEDs. I got the 10 degree beam for the left and the 30 degree beam for the right so at night it will help illuminate the side of the road. I mount them to the rear view mirror brackets and wire them into the headlight power so they are on with the low and high beam.

Super Bright LED Spot Beam (900 Lumens @ 10 Watts)
    Super Bright LED Spot Beam (900 Lumens @ 10 Watts)

• Garmin GPS Handlebar Mount With Power. I have a Garmin zūmoŽ 396 LMT-S GPS. I ordered a cradle, handlebar mount and electrical harness to power it from Garmin. I will use one of the two non-switch circuits to power the GPS so the it stays on when the engine is off. I like that option so I can select and change routes with the engine off.

GPS Is Getting Power
    GPS Is Getting Power

• SAE & USB Power Sockets. I add an SAE plug and a dual USB port so I can charge my cell phone, or power any other accessory. I put the SAE on the other non-switched, direct to battery circuit and the USB on a switched circuit of the Eastern Beaver PC-8 auxiliary fuse box.

USB Socket Water Proof Cover Is Secured To Socket
    USB Socket Water Proof Cover Is Secured To Socket

You can read about how I install these accessories here.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO

Modifying Kathy's Journey Fairing Pockets To Replace RT Fairing Plastic Compartments.

When I converted a 1983 RS to RT configuration, I didn't want to install the original plastic fairing compartments as they seem to be too close to the gas tank for my taste, are too fiddly to install, and increase the cost of the RT fairing conversion.

R100RT Fairing Interior View Showing How Close Plastic Pockets Are To Gas Tank
    R100RT Fairing Interior View Showing How Close Plastic Pockets Are To Gas Tank

My plan was to modify the Fairing Pockets from "Kathy's Journey Designs" to mount to the existing bushings on the inside of the RT upper panels. You can see how I did this here:

I installed grommets in the side of the bag that line up with three of the bushings so I can attach it to the bushings on the inside of the fairing with M6x10 hex bolts. For about $40.00, I have almost as much storage as the original plastic compartments and it's not going to be a problem when I remove the gas tank.

Kathy's Journey Design Fairing Pockets Come In Different Colors; Mine Are Black
    Kathy's Journey Design Fairing Pockets Come In Different Colors; Mine Are Black

Back Of Bag With Three Grommets Installed
    Back Of Bag With Three Grommets Installed

Bag Mounted On Inside of Fairing Leaving Clearance Next To Gas Tank
    Bag Mounted On Inside of Fairing Leaving Clearance Next To Gas Tank
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO

Rebuild Project Journal

Brook,
    just wanted to tell you that I really appreciate your tutorial on how to put the fairing back together. I ended up putting the stock side pockets in mine, but I agree that it's a tight fit for the fuel tank.
    Also liked all your electrical improvements. Great stuff!
    Marc