Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 145

Thread: 1983 R100RS Rebuild Project Journal

  1. #121
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,809
    I will be very interested to hear your opinion of the Race Tech mod. I have a friend with a /5 who did this and said it was the best money he spent restoring that bike, period. I have a K75 I think I would like to do this to.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  2. #122
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I will be very interested to hear your opinion of the Race Tech mod. I have a friend with a /5 who did this and said it was the best money he spent restoring that bike, period. I have a K75 I think I would like to do this to.
    Greg,

    I too am looking forward to what difference these make. I have the stock damper rod in my '77 RS so I can compare the two suspension systems. I suspect I will get to tweak the compression damping setting and the fork spring preload spacer as some adjustment maybe required.

    Best.
    Brook.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

  3. #123
    Registered User Rinty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,507
    My late brother, who was very picky about how his bikes handled, used to rave about the Emulators...

    ...in his '78 GoldWing.

    He would ride that thing so hard that you could actually see the frame flexing in the corners.

    Rinty

  4. #124
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by brook.reams View Post
    Greg,

    I too am looking forward to what difference these make. I have the stock damper rod in my '77 RS so I can compare the two suspension systems. I suspect I will get to tweak the compression damping setting and the fork spring preload spacer as some adjustment maybe required.

    Best.
    Brook.

    I've read all the information on the Race Tech web site about the differences in operation between dampener rod forks, cartridge forks, and the cartridge emulators, and from that info it seems that the cartridge design can provide velocity sensitive dampening that dampener rod forks just can't. However, I was talking today with a good friend of mine who is a highly respected custom BMW bike builder and restorer who said he thought you can get about the same amount of improvement with the stock fork design by making changes in springs, fork oil, and other tweaks. He throught the Race Tech emulators did work, but he just questioned the cost vs. the improvement. I suspect he's correct, but also it could be that most people can get there easier with the cartridge emulators than by doing their own mods to the stock forks given the knowledge and skills that would take. Again, the proof is in the pudding, so I will be awaiting your assessment once you have this bike back on the road.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    He throught the Race Tech emulators did work, but he just questioned the cost vs. the improvement. I suspect he's correct, but also it could be that most people can get there easier with the cartridge emulators than by doing their own mods to the stock forks given the knowledge and skills that would take.
    As has been recently proven more than once, a person can cut their own hair and it is less expensive than the barber. In fact some guys do it often enough the results almost seem barber like. But still, one has to ask is the trial and error and the effort worth the savings? Or not?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #126
    Registered User Subman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    120
    I am the definition of a hack mechanic, but at the recommendation of my friends at Max BMW I did the exact same thing on my /5 forks this winter. I left the Race Tech emulator settings as-delivered and followed the instructions exactly for the emulator and springs. It's made a terrific difference, the bike is so much more enjoyable to ride now. I'm a big believer, and expect you'll be pleased as well.
    Dave K.
    1971 R75/5, 2016 R1200R, 2019 Indian Scout

  7. #127
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    As has been recently proven more than once, a person can cut their own hair and it is less expensive than the barber. In fact some guys do it often enough the results almost seem barber like. But still, one has to ask is the trial and error and the effort worth the savings? Or not?
    Exactly. Pay money instead of time but get the results you are looking for. Suspension tuning is not something a lot of people I've met have the talent for.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  8. #128
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    468

    1983 R100RS/RT Install Toaster Tan Top Brace and Install & Align Front Forks

    I decided to upgrade the fork top plate to a Toaster Tan fork top brace as I think it makes a sizable improvement in keeping the forks rigid and improves handling.

    Toaster Tan Top Brace with Fork Tube Rings and Separate Steering Stem Cap Nut
    Toaster Tan Top Brace with Fork Tube Rings and Separate Steering Stem Cap Nut

    Installing the fork top brace is part of the procedure for installing and aligning the front forks, so did all of this work at one time. But, I broke up the documentation into two parts covering the Toaster Tan fork top brace and the front fork installation and alignment.

    I also made two videos summarizing the procedures.

    VIDEO: 1983 BMW R100RS Install Toaster Tan Fork Top Brace

    VIDEO: 1983 BMW R100RS/RT Install and Align Front Forks

    Here is the finished product.

    Toaster Tan Fork Top Brace & Forks Installed
    Toaster Tan Fork Top Brace & Forks Installed

    Forks & Toaster Tan Top Brace Installed
    Forks & Toaster Tan Top Brace Installed
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

  9. #129
    Registered User STEVENRANKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Spencerport, NY
    Posts
    524

    First two things

    First two things I did to my two airheads was to get rid of the stamped upper triple plates. I think I got mine from San Jose. Second, I installed good front fender fork braces also from San Jose. These two things made a noticeable change in handling and were well worth the money. St.

  10. #130
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    468

    1983 R100RS Install Swing Arm and Rear Drive

    Previously, I replaced the swing arm bearings and you can read about how I did that here:

    Now I install the swing arm in the frame and then install the rear drive on the end of the drive shaft side of the swing arm. I show how I align the swing arm in the frame to reduce stress on the drive shaft when I install it. The rear drive mounts easily to the flange on the right side of the swing arm with four 12-sided nuts.

    Here is a link to the procedure:

    And here is a video summarizing how I did the work.



    VIDEO: 1983 BMW R100RS Install Swing Arm & Rear Drive

    I had the swing arm powder coated and cleaned up and I refinished the rear drive that had been sprayed black with rattle can paint.

    Rear Swing Arm Removed
    Rear Swing Arm Removed

    Powder Coated Swing Arm
    Powder Coated Swing Arm

    Right, Rear Drive, Top
    Right, Rear Drive, Top

    Right, Rear Drive, Rear
    Right, Rear Drive, Rear

    Refinished Rear Drive
    Refinished Rear Drive

    Refinished Rear Drive
    Refinished Rear Drive

    Here is the final product.

    Swing Arm And Rear Drive Installed
    Swing Arm And Rear Drive Installed
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

  11. #131
    Registered User STEVENRANKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Spencerport, NY
    Posts
    524

    Dangerous Things Here

    Gee whiz Brook, I look at my R80RT with its 200K plus miles on it and think this winter I am going to do a restore on it not to make a show bike but to make it look better.

    Your starting pictures are horror shows compared to what my bike looks like. I give you a lot of credit for taking a really filthy, clapped out bike and turning it into a useful beauty again. Not only an outward beauty but an inner beauty as well.

    Lots of blokes make things look pretty on the outside hiding lots of sins. I found this out with my R100RS and I am paying for it. It is a pretty bike but I am finding a few sins such as worn jugs and messed up alternator.

    Mind you, I have never let my R80RT look like your before pictures, I try very hard to keep the old girl looking good. I am not one to let any mechanical thing go unfixed or ignored. So I am in better shape starting a rebuild with my bike versus this one you are working on now. Your thread has me tilting toward restore.

    It is dangerous for me to be following this tread because I might break down and open my wallet and do a restoration on the RT thus exposing me to wrath of the Wife. Just joking, she is good with it.

    Cheery bye, St.

  12. #132
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Gee whiz Brook, I look at my R80RT with its 200K plus miles on it and think this winter I am going to do a restore on it not to make a show bike but to make it look better.

    Your starting pictures are horror shows compared to what my bike looks like. I give you a lot of credit for taking a really filthy, clapped out bike and turning it into a useful beauty again. Not only an outward beauty but an inner beauty as well.

    Lots of blokes make things look pretty on the outside hiding lots of sins. I found this out with my R100RS and I am paying for it. It is a pretty bike but I am finding a few sins such as worn jugs and messed up alternator.

    Mind you, I have never let my R80RT look like your before pictures, I try very hard to keep the old girl looking good. I am not one to let any mechanical thing go unfixed or ignored. So I am in better shape starting a rebuild with my bike versus this one you are working on now. Your thread has me tilting toward restore.

    It is dangerous for me to be following this tread because I might break down and open my wallet and do a restoration on the RT thus exposing me to wrath of the Wife. Just joking, she is good with it.

    Cheery bye, St.
    Steve,

    Thank you. BTW, anytime I can help someone with a serious addiction (rebuilding airheads) stay addicted, I've done my job

    Along the lines of refinishing parts as I do a rebuild, I put a page together that shows how I refinished and repaired parts on this project and update it as I go along. This is not difficult work and frequently does not require special tools, but it often require patience and elbow grease.


    Stay well.

    Best.
    Brook.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

  13. #133
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    468

    1983 R100RS/RT Assembly From The Frame Up & Other Documentation

    I put together a page showing the order in which I am assembling the bike on this project. I will add to it as I go. In most of this document I link to other pages I posted, but for some work that is not particularly detailed, I show how to do the work in the Assembly page.
    There is also a companion document that shows how I disassembled the bike.
    I also have documented the project work on a Project Index page that includes a list of every document I published for this project organized by parts fiche major component number.
    Here is a link to the YouTube videos I've posted about this project on my channel.
    Lastly, there is a complete archive of all the pictures on Flickr.

     

    I hope this information is helpful to anyone doing a large scale build, rebuild or restore project.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

  14. #134
    Registered User Rinty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,507
    Great stuff, Brook, as always. I'd be nervous about selecting aluminum cleaners, but the aircraft stuff would be safe, and I assume there is info on Snowbum's site. Jim Von Baden used some Meguiar products on his R1100RS restoration.

    BTW, "Solo Bolo" has referenced your build in his lengthy RS restoration report in ADVrider. He ran into a number of very interesting problems.
    Rinty

  15. #135
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    468

    1983 R100RS Install Sub-Frame, Gazi Shocks, Wheels

    I completed installing the rear end of the motorcycle. The fenders and rear lights will come in another post. You can read about how I did that work in these chapters of the "Assembly From The Frame Up" document:

    Sub-Frame and Rear Shocks Mounted
    Sub-Frame and Rear Shocks Mounted

    Wheels Installed
    Wheels Installed

    It's beginning to look like a motorcycle again.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •