Thread: 1983 R100RS Rebuild Project Journal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1983 R100RS Rebuild Project Journal

Folks,

As I did on my last project, rebuilding a 1973 R75/5, I'm going to post updates on my new project, rebuilding a 1983 R100RS with 83,382 miles on it.

I just posted the first installment on my blog site, Motorcycles and Other Musings,

• 00 BMW R100RS Pre-Project Inspection

and started the 1983 BMW R100RS Rebuild: Project Index" project index pagewhere you can go for all the links to my procedure write-ups for this project.

Here are a couple pictures from the "home coming" journey.

Hidden in the Back
    Hidden in the Back by Brook Reams, on Flickr

ABC Colorado Air Marshal, Dick Paschen Loading the New Project Up by Brook Reams, on Flickr

Extras Included
    Extra Parts Included by Brook Reams, on Flickr

Bike & Bags
    Bike & Bags at "Brook's Garage" by Brook Reams, on Flickr

Speedmeter & Odometer-83,382 Miles
    Speedmeter & Odometer-83,382 Miles by Brook Reams, on Flickr
    Last edited by brook.reams; 04-03-2015 at 04:32 PM.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS||2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1975 R75/6||1973 R75/5

Oh, boy, sit back and prepare to be amazed!!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Kurt,

This could be interpreted in several ways ;-) What's amazzing is the effort you put into moderating this list, helping me with questions and providing great support to the Airhead community. I greatly appreciate your efforts.

Best.
    Brook.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere

Thanks for that...the moderator team tries to keep the "rubber side down" here so we can share our information and thoughts. But having such well documented refurbishments for others to refer to is priceless.

From an Airhead standpoint, we could use more DIY posts (OK, how about some! ) that newbies could refer to when doing regular maintenance. So often I'm 80% done with an oil/filter change before I remember I could have documented it. Then I give myself a dope slap and leave an oil mark on my forehead. But really, more visuals would help all of us.

Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

In 2005 I rebuilt my 82 RS. I look forward to watching this progress and to see what I might have done better. I still have the bike and LOVE it.

Jaguar

Brook,

The left-rear fender in this thread's first pic looks suspiciously like a 3.4 or 3.8 Jaguar sedan. I had an XK-150 once, the the bumper design is familiar.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Rebuild project

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I look forward to following your progress. Right off, I have two related questions.

1) What kind of windscreen is on the bike? It looks about half the size of the one on my R80RT. It looks like there would be correspondingly less wind resistance.

2) Regarding the carburetor rebuild, I saw that Bing sells an instructional DVD along with its rebuild kits. Does anyone think it's any good / worth the money?

Quote Originally Posted by tyro View Post
    I look forward to following your progress. Right off, I have two related questions.

1) What kind of windscreen is on the bike? It looks about half the size of the one on my R80RT. It looks like there would be correspondingly less wind resistance.

2) Regarding the carburetor rebuild, I saw that Bing sells an instructional DVD along with its rebuild kits. Does anyone think it's any good / worth the money?
    Bing DVD is excellent IMHO

HI Tyro,

It's the stock RS screen AFAIK. Of course, the RT upper faring is different from the RS as it's wider and so the screen will be larger than the one on the RS.

Can't say anything about the Bing DVD. I did buy their manual that explains the operation of the constant velocity carburetors and also provides clues about how the jets interact across the RPM range to help with tuning.

Hope that helps.

Best.
    Brook.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere

This is better than the movies

Thanks for sharing this Brook.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco , 180cc Kymco Racing King
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Love your Icon

Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post

Thanks for sharing this Brook.
    You're entirely welcome. And, I love the bike and the color in your icon. Very nice.

Best.
    Brook.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere

1983 R100RS Rebuild Project Journal

I'm now riding my 3rd '83 R100RS. Best bike ever as far as I can tell and I've ridden a lot of different models. My first one had over 190K on it when it died of blunt force trauma (i.e. an accident). Just picked up a fully rebuilt one three months ago. The previous owner, a BMW tech, did a full restoration 10 years ago and then hardly ever rode it. I'm now going to ride the crap out of the thing.

I look forward to reading your journal. Thanks for sharing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bing's stuff.

My experience with Bing International is that they are a top gun outfit. I had them rebuild 2 sets of carbs for me at different times. The price was fair and once dialed in I never had a problem with either set. Regardless of whether you rebuild yourself or have them rebuilt, go with the new plastic floats. The bike itself is a great machine to begin with and done right a great mile eater.

Best,

Will