• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ilium Engine guards with pegs and light bracket

Wethead

Anyone has installed the Ilium bars with hwy pegs and light bracket?
If so, appreciate your opinion and some pics. Thank you.

I saw this exact set-up in the photo below on a 2014 RTW with BMW driving lights attached at my dealership yesterday. The Ilium engine guards and highway pegs were very high quality. I liked how the highway pegs could rotate and solidly snapped in the upward position when not in use. Something I might consider next season as well.

Ilium.jpg

Yup, with clearwater Krista lights using Illium brackets. I like them, had the Illium pegs on my GT and wanted them for long trips on the RT. The Illium light brackets handle the big Krista lights with no problem.

Pics later, just finished washing the buts off her.

I need a set of highway pegs and I like the look of the Ilium's a lot, but I keep choking on the price. Adventure Designs sells a set for considerably less (though still spendy) but the MTW clamps that AD uses look crude...like they belong on a riding lawnmower.

I have both Illium bars and pegs. Used the the Clearwater hardware to mount the Erikas. I'll post a pic or two later.

Here you go, Gary.

Dave

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 50.jpg
    FullSizeRender 50.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,174
  • FullSizeRender 49.jpg
    FullSizeRender 49.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • FullSizeRender 51.jpg
    FullSizeRender 51.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,164
I think everything blends in really well.

View attachment 49447

That is really nice looking matching top case! :thumb
Question- I am thinking about getting one of those Bakup backrests for my RT as well. When the wife rides pillion behind me she likes to put her arms around me. It looks like that might get in the way...what has been your experience? TIA

That is really nice looking matching top case! :thumb
Question- I am thinking about getting one of those Bakup backrests for my RT as well. When the wife rides pillion behind me she likes to put her arms around me. It looks like that might get in the way...what has been your experience? TIA

The BU rest is only 11" wide. Unless you're built like Justin Bieber, she'll have plenty of you to get her arms around.:thumb

I installed them myself as well. There was a lot of plastic to remove and a pretty tight fit getting it all back on. If I had it to do over I'd have paid the 100 bucks labor. No obstruction problems with the routine maintenance I've had done.

Just brought home a new 2018 RT and looking for engine guards and hwy pegs. Really like the Ilum Works setup but can't find pictures of the rider on the bike with feet on the hwy pegs. It appears that the pegs are located too far forward for my 32" inseam.

Pegs

Just brought home a new 2018 RT and looking for engine guards and hwy pegs. Really like the Ilum Works setup but can't find pictures of the rider on the bike with feet on the hwy pegs. It appears that the pegs are located too far forward for my 32" inseam.

I have a 30" Inseam. I added some cheap foot pegs to the bars just to see if they would work. I use them sparingly. They are a bit of a stretch for me. I may end up with a set of Mik O pegs.

Illium

I bought a '17 RT new this year. Put Illium engine guards on it.

I will not be putting highway pegs on. On a boxer, it's very hard to make pegs that really do much good. Also saw friend go down when his highway peg dug into the pavement on a hard turn and lifted his wheel off the ground. That was not a fun afternoon! I've not found them to be that comfortable. If a bee flies up your pants leg, you'll rue the day!

Just put on Illium bar-backs. They really help. I have a Sargent seat. It favors sitting back in the seat rather than at the front of it. Now I can sit back into it without crouching forward to reach the bars. This morning, I drove from Chicago to St. Louis. One stop for gas and a sandwich. Much easier than before. Heading to Potosi to hit some curves tomorrow. I think these bar-backs will be just fine for that too.

Lower pegs are OK for riding straight but don't feel right in turns for me. Also too easy to scrape boots.

If you still have the stock windscreen, an Aeroflow "Tall" will do wonders.

Since I got the Illium Bar-Backs, I'm going to have to move my V-1 readout. It's just below the right side mirror and completely hidden from view now. The view through the mirrors is unaffected by the bar-backs. I like them even if they look a little strange.

I regret not getting black engine guards. Sigh.

:beer

Back