• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pairing Sena SHM10R with Nav V

mrm0416

I have struggled -- unsuccessfully to get voice commands through my Sena unit from my Nav 5. I have a 2014 RTW which has the BMW factory radio (I never listen to the radio when riding), and the factory "cradle" for the Nav 5.

The Sena pairs to the Nav 5, but I can't get audio so I never hear the voice prompts. Any suggestions?

Also, I've tried to pair the Sena to the bike through the Audio section on the dash, but it never "takes".

If anyone out there can provide me with some counsel, I would be grateful.

Weston

P.S. Also, just to make the point, I have never been able to reach Sena tech support because their staffing is apparently so meager, the wait times are virtually interminable. Also, they don't seem to answer even simple email queries!

I have struggled -- unsuccessfully to get voice commands through my Sena unit from my Nav 5. I have a 2014 RTW which has the BMW factory radio (I never listen to the radio when riding), and the factory "cradle" for the Nav 5.

The Sena pairs to the Nav 5, but I can't get audio so I never hear the voice prompts. Any suggestions?

Also, I've tried to pair the Sena to the bike through the Audio section on the dash, but it never "takes".

If anyone out there can provide me with some counsel, I would be grateful.

Weston

P.S. Also, just to make the point, I have never been able to reach Sena tech support because their staffing is apparently so meager, the wait times are virtually interminable. Also, they don't seem to answer even simple email queries!

Ok, So had similar problem, best to go to bluetooth connection on your nav 5. remove any prior connection to your phone or sena.

once everything is clean, or cleared out,

go to bluetooth connection on nav 5, and tap on search for devices, at the same time turn on your sena. At this point there should be a screencome up to allow connection, hit yes. And you should make a connection..... do not have your personal phone bluetooth on, because this
will immediately disconnect any communication from nav 5 to headset.
This is my current situation with Nav 5 to sena 10.

I can connect my GPS Nav 5 to the Sena, then the Iphone connects to nav 5 for phone calls only ... no music.

Ok, So had similar problem, best to go to bluetooth connection on your nav 5. remove any prior connection to your phone or sena.

once everything is clean, or cleared out,

go to bluetooth connection on nav 5, and tap on search for devices, at the same time turn on your sena. At this point there should be a screencome up to allow connection, hit yes. And you should make a connection..... do not have your personal phone bluetooth on, because this
will immediately disconnect any communication from nav 5 to headset.
This is my current situation with Nav 5 to sena 10.

I can connect my GPS Nav 5 to the Sena, then the Iphone connects to nav 5 for phone calls only ... no music.

Hi Jodysgsa,

Thanks for the tips. Before I clear out everything, I have one question: do I follow your directions with the Nav V in the bike's cradle or must you perform this operation with the Nav V unit separated from the bike?

Weston

I'm hard wired into the bike, the radio, XM and Nav all come into my headset. The Nav will only send audio after I have muted it than unmute, I discovered this a long time ago and shared it with the forum back when. Not sure it this is your problem...

Jay

Hi Jodysgsa,

Thanks for the tips. Before I clear out everything, I have one question: do I follow your directions with the Nav V in the bike's cradle or must you perform this operation with the Nav V unit separated from the bike?

Weston

I am not suggesting a factory reset on the unit, just clearing prior bluetooth pairings, to get a fresh connection. Its best to see your dealer, if you can.

Re: no voice prompts audible from my Nav V, I now know the cause : pilot error.

My dealer finally found the answer after playing around with the menu and controller on the handlebar. The answer is buried in the bike's basic menu under "Navigation". I saw that category many times but simply scrolled past it, never imagining that would be the source of my difficulty.

The secret is you have to scroll down from the choices that appear initially on the dash screen. When you do that you find an option called "Speak". Click on that and all's well.

Apologies for any confusion I've cause on the Forum with my initial plea for help!

Weston

Re: no voice prompts audible from my Nav V, I now know the cause : pilot error.

My dealer finally found the answer after playing around with the menu and controller on the handlebar. The answer is buried in the bike's basic menu under "Navigation". I saw that category many times but simply scrolled past it, never imagining that would be the source of my difficulty.

The secret is you have to scroll down from the choices that appear initially on the dash screen. When you do that you find an option called "Speak". Click on that and all's well.

Apologies for any confusion I've cause on the Forum with my initial plea for help!

Weston

No apologies necessary Weston. This is useful information. Thanks for the feedback!

Back