• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sparkplug socket

willbrackman

I'm trying to get both the primary and secondary plugs out of my 2006 R1200GS and find that the included toolkit does not contain a socket that fits either of these plugs. What size socket do I need to look for? Are the sizes different for the primary and secondary plug? Can anyone advise me as to where I can locate a socket thin enough to fit into the recess?

Everyone napping?:scratch

Will, both are same 16mm on the Hexheads...or ( purists hide your eyes :whistle)a 5/8 plug socket works just fine.... Just make sure they are thin walled and enter the "tunnel" without any friction or it will get stuck...maybe. Definitely 3/8 drive.
Have one I ground down years ago, and a few others I found at Joe's Hardware. Some folks shop at Harbor Freight

Camheads are 14mm BTW

Last edited:
Grind them down.
We had one that fit a year ago, and then my buddy got the thing stuck in there. It took an hour and a half to get it out. He promptly ground two down then and there.
dc

Grind them down.
We had one that fit a year ago, and then my buddy got the thing stuck in there. It took an hour and a half to get it out. He promptly ground two down then and there.
dc

Some castings must be smaller/warped as the socket that fits my 09 was snug in one of the 07's. I use the ground barrel one all the time now...and it's a 5/8:whistle :laugh:laugh

I think as it came out it began to bind. I don't know if it's warped, or an edge or a slight angle or what.
On mine I had a socket that fit, but when I did final torque, it would bind in and I couldn't get it out.
I finally remembered to switch over to the ground socket.
dc

Order one

Thanks to all. I ordered one of the Sunex thin wall 16mm sockets today.

Will

Amazon.com

Powerbuilt® 3/8" Drive Spark Plug Socket 16mm - 643008
by Powerbuilt $6.95 & FREE Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt®-D...986924&sr=8-10&keywords=16mm+deep+well+socket

May require some grinding

OR

Sunex 884504 3/8-Inch Drive 16-mm Thin Wall Spark Plug Socket
by Sunex $9.22 & FREE Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-884504-...7987058&sr=8-1&keywords=16mm+thin+wall+socket

Everyone napping?:scratch

Will, both are same 16mm on the Hexheads...or ( purists hide your eyes :whistle)a 5/8 plug socket works just fine.... Just make sure they are thin walled and enter the "tunnel" without any friction or it will get stuck...maybe. Definitely 3/8 drive.
Have one I ground down years ago, and a few others I found at Joe's Hardware. Some folks shop at Harbor Freight

Camheads are 14mm BTW

Actually, my sockets have had as much problems with the lower plugs. Even though it works with the tops plugs, I can't seat it all the way in on the bottom ones. I think BMW must machine/cast their heads to work with their sockets. I've tried a few too. Time to find a thin wall socket like the ones that come with the japanese bikes.

One shudders to think of someone attempting even this level of work without reference to the shop manual.

Reference to the shop manual would easily indicate both plugs are the same size ... and provide cautions regarding damaging the coil wiring, etc. That's pretty easy to do and the consequences can be substantial.

Also the shop manual indicates you can get a great socket from your BMW dealer, a really nice one with the extension built on.

One shudders to think of someone attempting even this level of work without reference to the shop manual.

Reference to the shop manual would easily indicate both plugs are the same size ... and provide cautions regarding damaging the coil wiring, etc. That's pretty easy to do and the consequences can be substantial.

Also the shop manual indicates you can get a great socket from your BMW dealer, a really nice one with the extension built on.

I am surprised BMW doesn't require that the dealer refill the gas tank each time. For a nominal charge, of course.

I am surprised BMW doesn't require that the dealer refill the gas tank each time. For a nominal charge, of course.

In your dreams, Ponch.

I'd be happy to get mine back washed. Had it happen once, at the 600 mile break-in service (which I paid plenty for, IIRC). I'm not sure I'd want to pay tech rates for that time, and I suppose it would take a bunch of bikes running through the shop to justify a minimum wage guy to do it. Maybe automation is the key ...

BTW, I found that a 3/8" drive Sears 16 mm deep socket works fine on my bike, clearance-wise.

JayJay

In your dreams, Ponch.

I'd be happy to get mine back washed. Had it happen once, at the 600 mile break-in service (which I paid plenty for, IIRC). I'm not sure I'd want to pay tech rates for that time, and I suppose it would take a bunch of bikes running through the shop to justify a minimum wage guy to do it. Maybe automation is the key ...

BTW, I found that a 3/8" drive Sears 16 mm deep socket works fine on my bike, clearance-wise.

JayJay

I got a GM Goodwrench socket and it works on the top plugs, but is still tight on the lower ones. They washed my bike at the 600 miles service and one warranty repair, but the other dealer I use for warranty and recalls doesn't wash the bike.

Yes, they a have great one that will fit, but at what, like 5 times the price of a regular socket? Exactly as BMW intended.

BMW part not very expensive.

I bought the BMW one. Surprisingly it was less than $20. Works easily in top and bottom.

Socket Bind

Grind them down.
dc

Why did I read this thread... such wonderful memories. :banghead

I'm not sure if the tunnel on the upper plugs is a different diameter on a GS then My 2005 RT. I use a magnetic spark plug socket I bought from Orreilly's Auto parts and it fits perfectly, no lathe needed and works fine on the lower plugs. The nice thing about the magnetic socket is not having to worry about the rubber grommet that always comes out of the socket onto the plug.

When all else fails..

Was doing the plugs on my '07 R12R yesterday so this is fresh in my mind.. maybe this time I'll remember it.

The center plugs weren't a problem. One of my several 5/8" plug sockets was thin enough to fit down the tunnel and come out without binding. NOT so the lower plug. None of them came even close to fitting in the recess.

I *knew* I had a socket SOMEWHERE that fit that bottom plug, since this was going to be the 4th change (at 87,500 miles..) I used a caliper to measure everything in my metric socket drawer that would fit the plug.. no go. Then in the darkest recesses of my mind - as I was heading to the grinding wheel with a "disposable" plug socket - I vaguely remembered the socket I used before was from a set of sockets in a small case.. and - open the SAE socket drawer - there they were. A very old (at least 35 years) set of SAE inch deep sockets.. with a 5/8". Which fit just perfectly.

When all else fails - keep looking - sooner or later it might come to you. Or not.

FWIW - I do own a set of metric deep Craftsman sockets of the same vintage, style.. but the 16mm one is larger in OD. Dunno why - it just is.

Bike seems happy with the new plugs.

Back