Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: MOA Roadside assistance. Anyone use it?

  1. #1

    MOA Roadside assistance. Anyone use it?

    New MOA member here but I just signed up for a Platinum Membership which says it includes a roadside assistance program. I do own a BMW RT but I also own a Yamaha Super Tenere. Does anyone know if the Roadside assistance will cover both bikes or only the BMW? And if you have used this roadside assistance service how was your experience? Thanks..

  2. #2
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,649
    I used it once on the road after a failed FPC issue. One phone call - they answered the call, verified my location (in Canada) and had a truck dispatched to get my bike and self to the local shop on a busy Saturday afternoon. No complaints.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)


    Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

  3. #3
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,537
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  4. #4
    I've actually read those but my biggest question was does it only cover my BMW? Wondering if I have a problem on the Tenere if the MOA roadside assistance will also cover it? Or is it exclusive to BMW bikes?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    1,523
    Yes, the Platinum and Platinum Plus memberships include ALL brand motorcycles.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    I used it once on the road after a failed FPC issue. One phone call - they answered the call, verified my location (in Canada) and had a truck dispatched to get my bike and self to the local shop on a busy Saturday afternoon. No complaints.


    Perfect. That's all I need to know.

  7. #7
    You won't need it for your RT. It never breaks down.. I've never had to use mine I've been a platinum member for coming up on seven years. 100,000 miles on the bike Ursula, and she's never left me stranded.

    Chuck I have a challenge for you on this topic, it just came to mind. Rhonda and I are both members, I am the platinum member, she is the associate member on my membership. Both our bikes are BMW's and I own both of them. If Rhonda was riding and the bike broke down, would she be covered, as the platinum designation is on my membership?

    I figured you could use a challenge.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

  8. #8
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,289
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    You won't need it for your RT. It never breaks down.. I've never had to use mine I've been a platinum member for coming up on seven years. 100,000 miles on the bike Ursula, and she's never left me stranded.

    Chuck I have a challenge for you on this topic, it just came to mind. Rhonda and I are both members, I am the platinum member, she is the associate member on my membership. Both our bikes are BMW's and I own both of them. If Rhonda was riding and the bike broke down, would she be covered, as the platinum designation is on my membership?

    I figured you could use a challenge.
    I can't find my paperwork right now. I put it somewhere where I wouldn't lose it
    From what I remember, all bikes in your household are covered. Towing limit is 100 miles or $250.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  9. #9
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,289
    Found this info online.

    Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard
    $79/year US, $91Canada, includes MOA membership

    It is the best of both worlds - MOA membership and our best selling Roadside Assistance plan, which now includes tire replacement coverage. One call to a toll free call center dispatches a motorcycle certified carrier to your location 24/7 in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

    The plan covers the first 100 miles of your tow bill, up to $250. Platinum Roadside coverage also offers free battery service, flat tire service and fluid service as well as trip interruption service and trip planning. For the first time ever, BMW MOA members are covered for two tire replacements per year for roadside hazards and damage. All for $79 per year including your MOA membership fee.
    JOIN NOW AS A PLATINUM MEMBER



    Roadside Assistance ONLY
    $29 US, Canada

    Not a "joiner?" That's cool. You need Roadside Protection more than anyone. Our Basic Roadside Assistance is designed just for motorcyclists and covers up to three motorcycles, regardless of brand.

    You are covered 24/7 with 100 miles of free towing, free battery service, free flat service and free fluid service. You even have trip interruption coverage if you are delayed due to an accident or damage.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  10. #10
    Thanks Lee. You da man.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    You won't need it for your RT. It never breaks down.. I've never had to use mine I've been a platinum member for coming up on seven years. 100,000 miles on the bike Ursula, and she's never left me stranded.

    Chuck I have a challenge for you on this topic, it just came to mind. Rhonda and I are both members, I am the platinum member, she is the associate member on my membership. Both our bikes are BMW's and I own both of them. If Rhonda was riding and the bike broke down, would she be covered, as the platinum designation is on my membership?

    I figured you could use a challenge.
    Yes, both your bikes are covered under your Platinum membership.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

  12. #12
    Registered User boltgunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    80
    I am a new rider, new GS owner, and I have signed up for the Platinum coverage. Anyone know how long before the membership packet arrives?:

  13. #13
    Registered User sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Central Penna.
    Posts
    156
    So I poked around the main page and could find the answer.
    I reup my membership in five year blocks and am in the middle. Can I move to platinum and what would the cost be per year?

  14. #14
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Found this info online.

    Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard
    $79/year US, $91Canada, includes MOA membership

    It is the best of both worlds - MOA membership and our best selling Roadside Assistance plan, which now includes tire replacement coverage. One call to a toll free call center dispatches a motorcycle certified carrier to your location 24/7 in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

    The plan covers the first 100 miles of your tow bill, up to $250. Platinum Roadside coverage also offers free battery service, flat tire service and fluid service as well as trip interruption service and trip planning. For the first time ever, BMW MOA members are covered for two tire replacements per year for roadside hazards and damage. All for $79 per year including your MOA membership fee.
    JOIN NOW AS A PLATINUM MEMBER



    Roadside Assistance ONLY
    $29 US, Canada

    Not a "joiner?" That's cool. You need Roadside Protection more than anyone. Our Basic Roadside Assistance is designed just for motorcyclists and covers up to three motorcycles, regardless of brand.

    You are covered 24/7 with 100 miles of free towing, free battery service, free flat service and free fluid service. You even have trip interruption coverage if you are delayed due to an accident or damage.
    Not wishing to be a curmudgeon, but given the size of the the US and Canada and the empty spaces between BMW dealers, 100 miles does not seem be much help if a breakdown should occur.

    As well, a tow bill of up to $250 will not necessarily get one very far. Last year, I had need to use my CAA coverage in Maine which dispatched an AAA truck to take me approximately 10-15 miles to the border. The AAA portion of the bill was $200. From there a CAA truck took the bike a 2+ hour drive into Canada.

    From what I have read on this Forum, the Allstate RV towing package seems to be the best bang for your buck. Please inform me why I am mistaken.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

  15. #15
    Paul,
    I agree with you. The 100 mile limitation seems a bit stringent. I would like the feature to be doubled which would give us a better opportunity to get the bike to a BMW authorized dealer. As we (the MOA) try to develope a better relationship with the dealers, I think that clause in the platinum coverage could be word smoothed a bit. I suggest: "no more than 200 miles or the closest authorized BMW certified maintenance facility, which ever is closer."
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •